close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What is this smoke?

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by OSU_Fisherman, Jul 4, 2008.

1. OSU_Fisherman

OSU_Fisherman Bassin' Buckeye

The last couple times I've had my boat out it has run absolutely perfectly, but for some reason it is smoking excessively now. I ran one tank almost clear empty (probably less than 1/2 gallon til empty) before I switched tanks and that's when it all started. I switched and have had fresh fuel, but its still doing it.

Its not the typical smoke you get when you start up a 2-stroke either. Quite the opposite actually. There is no smoke when I fire the motor... but after it is running a bit it starts blowing this THICK white smoke out the exhaust near the water's surface. If I had to compare it to something... I would say that the smoke looks a lot like the smoke that comes off of very, very wet wood in a fire.

It is getting oil, my water pump is working proply, the temperature gague is always at its normal temp, and it runs just as good (if not better) than normal. I can't figure it out.

2. Ðe§perado™

Ðe§perado™ Catfisherman/Bowfisherman

Could have sucked up a good bit of oil and it's working it's way out. Maybe didn't get the oil mixed up in the gas , my guess.

3. OSU_Fisherman

Are you meaning from the gas tank? If so... not possible because I have a VRO and do not premix. I do treat every tank of gas with the Johnson/Evinrude 2+4 Fuel Treatment and never put in too much.

I sort of had a thought about the possibility of the head gasket maybe letting water into the heads. But, I let go of that idea pretty quickly because the motor is running amazingly.

Anybody else want to weigh in?

4. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

the vro system is made to use a lot of oil at high speed and less at low speed? maybe it is pulling a lot all the time. how do your plugs look? wet? fouled?

5. are using more oil? but white smoke sounds more like steam > maybe a head gasket leaking just a little?

6. OSU_Fisherman

Alright, now I'm going to just assume that I got ahold of some bad fuel because I got the boat out this morning and it eventually quit smoking. Still don't understand it... but if it happens again I'll have to look deeper into it.

Thanks for the help guys!

7. sevenx

sevenx "I sat by the river" N.Mc

as mentioned be sure to check your plugs now if you had bad fuel. My first thought was oil leaking or spilled on the motor if filled recently but it sound like you did get bad fuel since it stopped with a new tank or the oil burned off the motor. Fouled plugs will hurt gas milage and tax the engine. I went to canada one year brand new plugs and my drunk uncle put the plug wire's on backwords. Took the better part of the day to figure out why she would not kick untill I saw the plug wires messed up and cleaning spark plugs to get it running. Bummer. S

8. White smoke is usually from water...Maybe some lake water went back thru the exhaust and turned to steam?