Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Powderfinger
7,789 Posts
Ohio Pro Lures. Uses Gamakatsu hooks and they do not bend. Local Ohio company too.

I order their 1/16 and 1/8 oz jigs in packs of 25 and powder dip them.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’ll give those a look, would prefer pre painted but I’ll give them a try. Any other recommendations? I really like sickle style.

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
Trying to find some good jigs for saugeye, 1/16 and 1/8 oz. Looking for something that doesn’t bend easily.
I would recommend using jigs that do straighten out easy for saugeye fishing. Saugeye hang out in some snaggy areas. And I have never lost a saugeye due to a straightened hook. And if you are,consider backing off the drag a bit maybe.
For strong hooks I like the cabelas brand un painted lead heads.....

·
2,083 Posts
2nd that. Hooks that bend will straighten out of many snags with steady pressure. You could catch the world record walleye on a 1/32 jig and if she straightens the hook it is because your drag was way too tight.

Look at my avatar, that's a 51 1/2 in, 40 lb 12 oz Muskie caught at Piedmont on a 1/8 oz jig, light wire # 1 Mustad hook with a 2 1/2 in. fin s fish shad colored minnow while fishing for saugeyes. Have caught probably 10-12 Muskie on these jigs and haven't straightened a hook yet. That Muskie stood as the 8lb line class IGFA world record for 13 years. By the way, I had no intention of mounting that fish but she could not be revived for release.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
Fish Fish Tail Fishing Northern pike
Look at my avatar, that's a 51 1/2 in, 40 lb 12 oz Muskie caught at Piedmont on a 1/8 oz jig, light wire # 1 Mustad hook with a 2 1/2 in. fin s fish shad colored minnow while fishing for saugeyes. Have caught probably 10-12 Muskie on these jigs and haven't straightened a hook yet. That Muskie stood as the 8lb line class IGFA world record for 13 years. By the way, I had no intention of mounting that fish but she could not be revived for release.
I got one at my dock yesterday almost as big as yours! :cool:

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Agree with the above statements on wanting something that has a little spring and give. The drag helps too. I love fishing the VMC Moon Eye jigs with grubs or swims, but with live bait, I've been a BIG fan to the Northland Tackle fireball jigs. Sharper hooks will also penetrate the mouth for a clean pierce and keep them on - balanced with proper drag you shouldn't have issues.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks everyone for opinions and suggestions. I actually have my drag set pretty low, think it’s happening on hook set. I’m not bending to hooks straight, just a slight outward bend that is resulting in some missed fish. I’ve been using strike king jigs but I think I’ll give vmc a try.

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
Thanks everyone for opinions and suggestions. I actually have my drag set pretty low, think it’s happening on hook set. I’m not bending to hooks straight, just a slight outward bend that is resulting in some missed fish. I’ve been using strike king jigs but I think I’ll give vmc a try.
Are you using 2-3"swims an twisters? Sorry this has nothing to do with jig strength,but if you havnt tried yet northland thumper jigs and road runners an other bladed jigs are great for saugeyes!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Are you using 2-3"swims an twisters? Sorry this has nothing to do with jig strength,but if you havnt tried yet northland thumper jigs and road runners an other bladed jigs are great for saugeyes!
I actually found a road runner under a rock and used it, was probably the best success I've had so far. I use some plastics but have been using half a crawler most of the time. Been fishing Indian Lake just because there are so many fish willing to help you learn.

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
I actually found a road runner under a rock and used it, was probably the best success I've had so far. I use some plastics but have been using half a crawler most of the time. Been fishing Indian Lake just because there are so many fish willing to help you learn.
Nothing wrong with that! Indian is a great place! I wish I was a little closer to it.

It's hard to beat a worm this time of year! Those worms work great on the bladed jigs to!
Goodluck! Hope you keep slaying the fish!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts