close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What is the best time of day to fish?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by RWBlue, May 14, 2005.

1. Well here is my newbie question for the day.

What time of day should I be fishing to catch fish?

Do you change how you are fishing depending on the time of day or night?

Do fish hit on crank baits at night?

Would changing the color of my lure during the day get me more fish?

Thanks

2. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Oh, that's an easy one, the best time to fish is when they are biting.
    Generally an hour or so at daybreak and before sunset are the best.

3. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Depending upon species of course, if it's flatheads, after dark, about an hour or so after dark, and then it might be anytime of the night. They tend to feed at different times. There's a solar-lunar chat that can sometimes be helpful. If you're fishing in under stable conditions it can be pretty accurate, but if you are fishing a river, the current and temperate has more to do with the bite. That's what I think anyway, based on my experiance.

4. I like the 1st couple of hrs after day break and yes cranks work well at night and cranks with beads or some kind of soundwork better then not... just hold on tight some hits are HARD and FAST!!!

5. catking

catking Banned

Very early in the morning for sure and night time............ dark lures at night , light lures at day.... usually .... THE CATKING !!! :)

6. Dont be afraid to throw cranks on the bars off deep water at night. Fish the night as day! Got to see it too believe it. Right now Skeeter has a warm layer of 3 ft. It wont be till a month or two later on the deeper res or lakes.
    GOOD LUCK! :)

7. Are you yanking my chain? Dark lures at night?

8. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

When i used to bass fish, I would always use a black jitterbug at night, and those fish tore it up..Yes Black at night is the way to go.

9. fishingredhawk

fishingredhawk Ohio Hawg Hunter

RW Blue, is that for Red Wanting Blue? I love that group

10. dark when it is overcast or at night and brite when during a sunny day... easy enough to remember...

11. When ever you can get out ;)

12. Truck is right, there is no bad time to go!;)
    Like most people said though fish are more active early and late in the day but you can still catch fish anytime during the day. My biggest bass came in the middle of the day on a bright sunny day in crystal clear water and my biggest flathead also came in the middle of the day on a nightcrawler on the bottome of the creek. So you just never now what you can catch and you should NEVER EVER not go fishing because of the time of day.:)

13. I've always done best the last two hours of daylight. But, you can't predict exactly when the fish will bite. Go when you can.
    Weather conditions can have a huge effect also. Fish tend to bite better after a few days of steady, unchanging weather. Let's say it has been 80 degrees and nothing but high clouds for three days. If you can be on the water when a cold front begins approaching the fish will turn on, it is almost guaranteed. If you fish streams the fish absolutely begin biting real good after a heavy rain when it hasn't rained in a while.
    Be careful though I almost got hit by lightning in a boat once (hit 100' from us). When the hair stood up on my arms I thought it was over...

14. Reel Lady

Reel Lady Dreams DO come true!

"What time of day should I be fishing to catch fish?"
    Never ever a bad time, as each time your pole is in the water... it is a learning experience :)

"Do you change how you are fishing depending on the time of day or night?"
    Fish move around constantly depending on the circumstances. For instance... a sunny day will push fish into heavy cover, the shade of a big tree, under a dock, or into deeper water. My methods don't really change, but where I look for fish does.

"Do fish hit on crank baits at night?"
    Absolutely! Night time is my favorite time to fish. There is nothing more exciting then to actually hear the fish come up out of the water to grab your lure. Top water baits (buzz Baits, Jitterbugs, Hedons Torpedos, Poppers, Frogs, etc.) work great at night. The sound of the blades on the buzzbait, and the sound of the water popping from the Jitterbugs and Poppers drive Bass wild :B Just remember when you are fishing at night, that you want a Big profile lure and even better, one that makes some sort of noise. Think like a fish... See things like a fish. Picture yourself in a swimming pool looking up at the waters surface. All they are seeing is the profile of your lure with a backlit sky from the moon. (if there is any).

"Would changing the color of my lure during the day get me more fish?"
    My advice to you is to experiement, experiment and experiment. Just because you may have heard that this one thing works, does not mean that it's the only thing to work. Dare to be different :) So obviously, if what ever lure you are not using is not working (and this is of course after you have tried all sorts of different retrieval methods) then it may be time to switch bait. But often times its not the color that is the issue. Many times it may be that they want a different size bait or the fish want a quicker, slower, rolling, twitching, swimming retreival.
    In other words.. don't give up so quick on a particuliar bait color. There are many other things to try before deciding that your color bait is just not what the fish want. Experiement... Experiment! Try new things..you just never know what you may discover on your own :D :B
    Marcia

15. Yes, the morning is the best time of day to fish, no question. I have found the middle of the day to be the worst but sometimes its still just as good. I think you have a better chance of catching anything early in the morning though.

16. Um, no, especially if that is a political comment.

Lets go with Red White & Blue or Randy Wilson Blue.

17. fishingredhawk

fishingredhawk Ohio Hawg Hunter

Haha, no it's a band that plays at OSU, Miami, OU, really good!

18. Whaler

Whaler Whaler

Truck is right on!

19. to which day of the week is best to fish on...
    Answer: Days starting with "T"
    .....Today...Tomorrow....Tuesday...Thaturday...Thunday

20. 2talltim

2talltim Bubby wanna be

I love It!!!!!