What is the best hook size

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by smelliebvr, Jul 6, 2008.

1. I have been doing a lot of fishing around lake erie and have had some problems setting hooks when I am getting some small bites. When its a big fish like a bass or cat it does not become a problem because once I get a good bite from one of them setting it is not a problem.

The problem I am running into is I get very small hits using crappie rigs, or even floating a bobber. My theory for most of the bites is some smaller fish like bluegill or perch are stealing the worm off and the hook is to big to really get them on.

For all the pros out there is this a possibility? What size hooks does everyone use, is there such a think as to small of a hook?

2. I'll use size 4,2,1,1/0 octopus hooks for walleye rigging...spinners and lindy/bottom bouncing.

I also use 4 through 1/0 dropshot hooks. I'll use a 4 on a dropshot rig for perch (which is honestly my favorite rig for catching perch. beats the hell out of spreaders). and 2-1/0 for smallies.

when using the standard snells on spreaders/crappie rigs, I'll opt for a size 2 aberdeen hook. I don't usually like to go any smaller than that because they seem to inhale size 4 and 6.

I really only find myself getting short bites when casting spinners ("weapons") for walleye, and its usually a blessing in disguise because when I do nail 'em, it ends up being a tiny white perch

I never use anything smaller than a size 4 octopus hook. But I don't fish for crappie, bluegill, etc.