close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What is (are) your favorite books?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by fishintiger, Jul 5, 2005.

1. I don't want to sound like Oprah's book club or anything but what books are some of your favorites? I've enjoyed the first 4 books of Stephen Kings' Dark Tower series. They start off pretty slow but they pick up and are very good. He just put out the last 3 novels of the series for a total of 7. Anyone else have any favorites?

2. Here is ten quick reccomendations that will change your life:

Knut Hamsun “Growth of the Soil”
    Victor Hugo “Les Miserables”
    Ayn Rand “Fountainhead”
    Emile Zola “Germinal”
    Dostoevsky “Crime and Punsihment”
    Charles Bukowski “Ham on Rye”
    Jack Kerouac “On the Road”
    Hemmingway “The Old Man and the Sea”
    Albert Camus “The Fall”
    Kurt Vonnegut “Slaughterhouse Five”

3. Have you read all those books? Just curious...

I read a lot and I mean A LOT, I cant name my favorite but Ill name some good ones IMO.

Military: (my fav books)

In the Company of Heroes - Michael Durant(Survivor of Black Hawk Down)
    Citizen Soldiers - Steven Ambrose
    The Wild Blue - Steven Ambrose
    The Victors - Steven Ambrose
    No One Left Behind - Amy Waters Yarsinske (About a shot down pilot in Gulf War #1 - Still MIA)

Fiction :

John Grisham books (All of them)
    Bourne Identity/Supremecy/Ultimatum - Robert Ludlum
    Angels and Demons - Dan Brown
    The DiVinci Code - Dan Brown

So many more but I wont bore you all anymore :)

4. I am somewhat of a sci-fi/fantasy dork. As such my favorite book is Lord of The Rings followed closely by The Silmarillion (both J.R.R. Tolkien) which I read yearly. Other fantasy I enjoy includes:

Chronicles of Narnia - C.S. Lewis (just reread this, forgot how much I liked it, even if people think they are children's stories)
    Dragonlance Novels - Hickman/Weis
    Belgariad et. al - Eddings

As far as serious literature (btw I would definitely include LoTR in this category):

Ulysses - Joyce (for pure sense of accomplishment having muddled through it)
    1984/Animal Farm - Orwell
    Atlas Shrugged - Rand (I could not disagree more with objectivism but it was an interesting read)
    Thus Spake Zarathustra - Nietzsche
    I'll second Rooster on Crime and Punishment, Les Mis and Old Man and the Sea.

Other authors I read when on trips and need some light, engaging reading are:

Any Dirk Pitt book - Clive Cussler
    The Bourne books - Ludlum
    Just about any King book

5. The Davinci Code was a great book to read with the hidden meanings and clues throughout the story.
    The Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice is an excellent series in my opinion. I read the first two right after Christmas and finished the next two about a month ago. I really enjoyed reading about the thoughts and actions of the main characters.
    The Lord of the Rings was very good. I liked it better than the movies.
    I'm reading one now called The Historian, which is another vampire book. It covers Vlad the Impaler, which Dracula is based on. The main premise is that Dracula is still alive and a young woman researches this after her father tells her of his research on the subject and then disappears.
    These are just a few of my favs. Thanks to my wife, I'm reading consistently again and loving it!

6. Rooster are you an Lit. major of some sort? Those titles are mighty familiar to academia.

7. No Lit Major, but I’ve been a “reader” for as long as I can remember. I was very disappointed in my literature courses in college. Most of the reading lists were vanilla, and material that I had already read in High School. I actually got much more out of reading in the ARMY (24hr guard duty 3 to 4 times a week for over three years). I discovered that the best way to find good books is to read what authors (that you enjoy reading) like to read. Bukowski can give someone more of a literary education than any PHD in world literature. LOL

Onion- I’m impress with ANYONE that has read Ulysses. I would really like to read it in its entirety, but after my fifth attempt at reading the book, I declared it unreadable. If I was given solitary confinement for a year with nothing but that book for entertainment…..I would take up origami!

8. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

the latest book ive bought and been reading is "The Gardening Book for Ohio" by Denny McKeown.

Its a darn good book. Actually mostly a reference book, but most of it is new to me.

Im much more into non-fiction but i did enjoy 1984 when i was young and its eerie to see throughout my life a lot of it is slowly coming true.

9. It's been a while since I've had time to read anything that isn't related to my research project...but this thread reminded me of a lot of the books I've read over the years. Some of my favorites have been The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoevsky (still haven't read all of Crime and Punishment, though), A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by Joyce (wanted to at least try Ulysses, but haven't), as well as a few of the works by Huxley (Brave New World in particular). Just about anything by Thoreau is on my list. I've always enjoyed reading stuff related to psychology and the workings of the mind...a couple of books by Paul Quinnett even look into the psychology of fishing and fishermen. Very interesting reads...Darwin's Bass and Pavlov's Trout are the two I have.

10. Holy crap I can't believe I forgot Walden and Civil Disobedience. I am on my third copy of those.

Rooster,

If you can get through those on your list you can do Ulysses, there were days reading that book that I was convinced that Joyce had fooled everyone and was actually the worst writer ever.

If you want a VERY HARD read (at least it was for me) try Kant's "Critique of Pure Reason". Nothing like a philosopher who likes run-on sentences almost as much as Joyce but uses his own peculiar terminology. I got about 40 pages into that before putting it away.

11. Some of my favorite books are

Pride and Prejudice: Jane Austin
    Catch 22: Joseph Heller
    That Dark and Bloody River: Allen Eckart or anything else by him
    Tuesdays with morrie: Mitch Albom

12. traphunter

traphunter Guest

A Day No Pigs Would Die- Robert Newton Peck
    Father Water, Mother Woods- Gary Paulson
    The Hatchet (and its sequals)- Gary Paulson
    The Catcher In The Rye-J.D. Salinger
    plus more..

Attempted to read the Fronteirsman(sp?) but I didnt get it finished yet. A very interesting book indeed and I will finish reading it sometime.

13. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

My all time favorite book was the grapes of wrath...Followed close by the Frontiersman.

14. The defense of Duffer's Drift
    Defense of Hill 781 : An Allegory of Modern Mechanized Combat
    Ken Schultz’s Fishing Encyclopedia
    Universe in a nutshell
    Catch 22
    The Odessy and the Illiad
    Band of Brothers
    Citizen soldiers
    Hacking Exposed

15. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

I've been trying to read The Third Appearance by Walter Starcke, but it knocks me out everytime I get one or two pages read. I just pick it up and read a page wherever it opens...
    You guys are lucky you can read like that. I believe it's one of those things if you don't use it, you lose it. Of course my eyes are nowhere like they used to be either.

16. Hooch

Hooch Fare Thee Well!

Any book with Curious George and the Man in the Big Yellow Hat.
    -Hooch-

17. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Well I feel like a comelete idiot. I like the book CATFISHING TACTICS from the freshwater angler series. I figured if the books good, there will be a movie made about it, so I'll catch up them. :D

Boy oh boy, did CLIFF NOTES help me in High School & College! I thik I read THE OLD MAN & THE SEA once.

18. The Frontiersman is one of my favorite along with That Dark and Bloody River also by Eckert. There is a whole series that Eckert wrote that I intend to ready some day. Also Blue Jacket by Eckert is great. Panther in the Sky by James Alexander Thom is another great one. I love reading books about Ohio history and other non-fiction books that have to do with settling of our country and indians.

19. I also read the Hachet and its sequels by Gary Paulsen. They were well-written stories that were easily read. I couldn't imagine having to go through an adventure like that. The main character went through alot in those books.

20. All of Eckhart's books are fascinating reads and I would highly recommend that anyone interested in the old Northwest Territory and Ohio in particular read them. Just remember that historians quite often pan Eckhart's liberal use of fictitious dialogue and somewhat shaky evidence.

Regardless of all that I absolutely loved his books on Tecumseh and Simon Kenton in particular. If you do read them, keep the book open to the page you are reading and a bookmark in the endnotes section. Some of the endnotes are more interesting than the actual text!