close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What is a Wiper?

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Hossman, Jul 21, 2004.

1. I have been fishing all my life.And never seen one or caught one.Thanks. :confused:

2. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

a white bass/striped bass hybrid

combine the words white and striper and get wiper

3. JUSTCRAZY

JUSTCRAZY Wurlds Wurst Spellor

Wipers are a cross between a white bass and a striper, thus WIPER! Some call them Hybirds, or hybrid stripers. They get to be larger than white bass and are smaller than the monster stripers. They are shaped like a large white bass, high bodied rather than a long slender one.
    I am not sure of the genetics needed as to which one needs to be male or female, but someone else may chime in on that. They are found in some lakes and were stocked thoughout the Ohio river. You can find pictures of them on this site and on the DNR page.

Rob

4. A wiper is a made up name for a Hybrid.

5. I heard they can't reproduce. Don't know if thats true or not.............. Rich

6. Procraftboats21

Procraftboats21 Original OGF Member

yeah its true Rich, as with almost any hybrid they cant reproduce.

7. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

I'd have to argue whether or not wipers or other hybrids can reproduce. I do know that saugeyes (sauger & walleye hybrid) can occur naturally in the wild and either can reproduce with the saugeye. I've caugth alot of "wipers" and they will be egg laden & milt laden as well. Stripers can't reproduce much in the wild either as they have very specific conditions conducive to reproduction. I'd bet they could reproduce. I'm also aware that there are some "hybrid" fish which are made genetically sterile in order to prevent them from mating with natural and/or wild species hurting the gene pool.
    Here's a "wiper" I caught in the Ohio River about 2 weeks ago.
    [​IMG]

8. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

From last July I think.........
    [​IMG]
    I have several posted in the photo gallery :cool:

9. AWESOME pics...
    meself I'd still be hard pressed to tell the diff