close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

what is a tip up (legally)

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by hardwaterfan, Aug 30, 2005.

1. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

does anyone know or have a link to the legal defintion of what a tip-up is, as far as an Ohio wildlife officer would see it.

were allowed 2 lines and 6 tip ups..... i have some ideas for making a simple tip up but i dont know if it would be considered a line or a tip up...

ive seen tip up rods that surely would be considered a line because they have a reel like a regular rod but also a little flag that pops when a fish takes the line out.

if anyone can draw a line where i now see a gray area id appreciate it. :)

one of my goals this year is to catch a fish on a tip up, ive never really tried before.

any other musings in this forum are welcome. :D

2. steelmagoo

steelmagoo Enjigneer

The line between tip-up and "rod" is getting blurred by all the new stuff coming out. In Pennsylvania I'm pretty sure they changed the regs to allow 6 "devices" on the ice, whether traditional tip-up, rod, or other.

3. Same problem here , I own two tip ups that look like a rod& reel to me. They use the wind to auto jig your bait. I have been always hesitant to use for fear of interpataion of game laws. Since ice fishing is soaring in popularity maybe the ODNR will make it simple.
    After all how smart can we be , ch**st sakes we ice fish.;-)

4. Whaler

Whaler Whaler

Papa, why don't you call the DNR for a clarification and while you're at it suggest they change the wording to say six devices of which only two can be a rod and or pole?

5. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

ICE ANGLERS may use holes no larger than 12 inches in diameter. In Lake Erie ice anglers may use holes no larger than 12 inches in width. Ice anglers may not use more than 6 tip-ups and 2 rods per person. All shelters and tip-ups must display the name and address of the owner or user in English lettering.

6. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

i think the tip up would look like this

Attached Files:

7. http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2933&stc=1
    tip.JPG

Yep those pics are standard tipups . But these are the one I am leery of using.
    Long time ago when duck limits were based on the point system. Two of my buds and I watched two wardens argue wether we were over limit ( we were legal ).

The individual that does the interperting is what always worries me.

Attached Files:

• tip.JPG
      tip.JPG
      File size:
      6.5 KB
      Views:
  8. Why cant the ODNR just say six devices total ( or whatever) and let the angler choose the devices ?

9. peon

peon account delete

i know alot of people that would be mad if it was 6 devices... i know people that like to use 6 tipups and 2 poles.. but myself think that its hard to keep up with all them lines!!! lol :B

10. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

i have one of the wind jammer tip ups you have pictured i use it as 1 of my 6 and never have had a problem................the tipups that i think are in question are the ones that have a base and you set a rod in them and load up the rod so it springs up when a fish bites i have seen them used at portage lakes before i will look around for a pic

11. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

like this one

Attached Files:

12. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

In Pa., it's 5 devices. Any combo or all the same. We can fish 5 rods if we want to. :D

13. steelmagoo

steelmagoo Enjigneer

Yes, it is. Alzheimers is going to be an easy transition for me :D .