Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not chased catfish much over the years and have not grown adept at guessing their weights. Last night I landed a decent flathead and wouldn't you know it I did not have a camera or my scales with me.:rolleyes: I was able to get a pretty decent length estimate on it. I figure it was right around 30" long and what I would label it as medium as far as it girth appearance. So for you more experienced catfishermen what would you roughly guess a fish of that size? My inexperienced guess would put him around 11-12#. How close do you figure I am on that?

By the way he was quite a surprise to hook up with on a roadrunner jig while targeting saugeyes. He put up a darn good fight on 8# line. It hit the jig less than 20 feet from the shore and wanted to stay down deep. Every time I tried to put a little pressure to raise it up and bring it in it decided to take a run. I forgot how much fun it is to tussle with a large catfish. I am thinking that I will take my boys this summer and try to get them hooked up as well.

·
MOD SQUAD
13,657 Posts
if it was not a "meaty' fish,your guess is probably close.could be anywhere between 12-18 app. depending on age/girth.

·
MOD SQUAD
13,657 Posts
LOL.if it wasn't "girthy" you're close.

·
Registered
11,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know why I didn't try to get a girth measurement. That sure would have helped.:rolleyes: I guess I was just in too much of a hurry to get back to fishing. I hooked another one about 3 casts later on the same jig but it came unhooked maybe 10 seconds into the fight. My poor roadrunner jig's hook couldn't keep it shape well enough.:mad: It straightened me out a bit. I was applying some pressure to get it up out of the rocks. They just don't move very well on those lighter spinning rigs.:D:D

·
MOD SQUAD
13,657 Posts
They just don't move very well on those lighter spinning rigs
LOL.no they don't.
i caught a dink a couple years ago that i think was about 30 inches and weighed 13 pounds.not sure if magis filed the info in his log,but if so,he would have the numbers.
length increases pretty quick to that point,then they start putting on the weight.

·
Registered
5,815 Posts
not sure if magis filed the info in his log,but if so,he would have the numbers
I recorded the length/girth of every flathead caught that year, except that one. :rolleyes: I would agree that 11-14 lbs should be pretty darn close.
They just don't move very well on those lighter spinning rigs
I tail hooked a 28 lb flathead a few years ago on my bluegill rod. I didn't think that thing was ever going to slow down. :D I eventually got him to the bank, but it was no easy task. Lots of fun though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts