close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What I am Doing... Katrina Relief

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Big Daddy, Sep 1, 2005.

1. OK, here's an update and what I have in motion.

As many of you know, I have family that have lost everything they had to the hurricane. I have been in contact with my ex-wife and the group with her in Texas, and I talked with my daughter who is stuck in Lafayette, Lousiana, and her brother's family who is stuck in Atlanta.

I have set up an account through Sky Bank for donations to help them deal with the aftermath. There are six families that I know, that the money will go to. I am in charge of the account, and it is in my name AT THIS POINT. I am in the process of turning it into a non-profit fund for Katrina Relief, but have several legal hurdles to clear. In the mean time, if anyone would like to donate to help my family, contact ANY Sky Bank branch and ask how to donate to the "Carl Bachtel account" and they will let you know.

I do not have a PayPal link or anything, not sure how to do that stuff, and I'm very busy with work and trying to contact the state and a lawyer and deal with all that.

I am doing this because I know exactly where the donations will be going.

I have some news to go shoot now, but I'll be back on later. If anyone has any questions, PM me and I'll answer them for you.

Thanks for the help. Even if you don't donate to me, please help someone, group, or organization.

Here's the story that ran on TV 3 last night...
    http://wkyc.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=40131

2. That was a very good clip that they did and will hopefully spark some interest in the area to give to the account.

We as a family have not fully decided what we will do as far as giving. Like you said I always have a concern about whether my dollars are really going to where I want them. We know that for one we are giving to the Catholic Relief Services which we have given to in previous crises and I feel comfortable with where the money is going. Beyond that as I said we are still assessing the situation. I have a co-worker whose in-laws were in Gulfport and lost everything as well so we too have one that creates local ties. I imagine that in the next few days there will be more that I hear about. For that reason we are sort of holding off on the decisions.

Carl, I think what you are doing is great and I wish your family and friends the best in their struggles ahead.

3. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

The best of luck to you and your family as they rebuild their lives. Thankfully they are all safe, as I'm sure they headed the warnings and got out. You are a good man!

4. i have about 20 or so relatives down there. all but one of them is accounted for. all are safe and in secure locations. good luck to all in the big easy.

5. Hey bigdaddy,first i would like to say im am glad that your family is alright.Next thing is i would like to run something by you.I have a small alluminum boat,trolling motor and marine battery with a life vest two oars and anchor that i never use anymore and was trying to find something good to do with.First i thought about giving it to you guys to raffle off just to show my support for the website and give some angler a chance to hit the water without spending alot of dough and make some money for the site.But now with this recent tragedy i would like to see if you guys would let me raffle it off at the hawgfest and give the money to the redcross.Or any one of the support efforts for the victims of Katrina.I know you guys have alot of raffles going on,so me and my wife would like to man the table at the fest and do the drawing if you would need us.I know this might be alittle late for the fest i don't know what you guys already have going on,so think about it and let me know what everyone thinks about this idea.Also my fishin buddy said he would sweeten the pot to get a bigger donation.I would really like to do something to help.

6. Thanks a million bassin420. I will PM you tomorrow. It's a GREAT gesture you've offered. I'll PM you tomorrow.

7. NOW THAT WAS JUST COOL!!! Nice gesture man.

8. Ok here are some pics of the setup,only thing i dont have is a charger for it.But i am sure someone could handle that if they won the boat.Man i loved this boat,it was the first boat action for me.After finally getting on the lake i was instantly hooked on bass fishing.Shore fishing is fine but i have caught more and bigger fish since i'v switched to boats and i think i am a little spoiled.Great boat for someone to use on small inland lakes.Hope this is something that can help. [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Bassin420, check your PM's...

10. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

That is a first rate rig. Not something broken down and wore out. It looks like it would move out pretty well, maybe even LakeRaider style!
    It should definitely produce some good funds to help fill some needs.

11. That is indeed a very fine gesture by bassin420! I hope that it brings in a lot of money for such a good cause.