Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize this is a pretty elementary question but my hooks situation isn't great. I have spent most of the last few years fishing with lures and such that have hooks on them already and now I am pretty unprepared when it comes time to rig my own baits. I mostly have large hooks but I am not really sure what size or type I have. I never used to pay attention to that stuff, I just grabbed some random hooks that looked right every once in a while. Lately I have been trying to learn to fish soft plastics better, namely senkos and flukes, and feel like I am not using the right hooks. I have some pretty nice Gamakatsu hooks but I feel like they are much too large. I have some smaller hooks that seem more like a good size but they feel very flimsy like they would bend on bigger fish.

So what hooks should I load up on next time I go shopping? What size and types are good for which baits? And brands?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my DROID4 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
614 Posts
All of your top brands of hook makers offer a complete line of styles and sizes for any presentation you may want to use. I suggest going to Tackle Warehouse's website and just do a search for Gamakatsu, Owner, Mustad, VMC, Trokar and I'll throw Matzuo in there to.

If you wacky rig a Senko I think most people use a split shot/drop shot hook in a #1 or #2 size. If you need to wacky rig weedless VMC make a nice weedless hook. In Texas rigging a 4" Senko I use #2/0 EWG worm hook. 6" Senko I'll use a 4/0 size. I like the Sickle hook EWG style but I'm sure the overwhelming favorite here is the Gamakatsu EWG worm hook.

Instead of flukes I prefer swimbaits and I prefer to use a round head shaky jig with a corkscrew bait holder and EWG hook. Mustad Ultrapoint hooks are very popular in this application. Trokar hooks are probably the best hooks you can buy but are nearly twice the cost of other quality hooks but you can't bury the points in plastic baits because the top edge at the point is honed like a knife and will cut right through the plastic.

Hope this has been of some help.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Shaggy have you a great answer. It was above my ability to answer anyway. Your answers will be much more exact if you tell us what you are going to throw as well.

If I could add to what he said If tell you this:

Get some off set worm hooks, generally, size 2 will allow you to rig worms less than 8". I like a thicker write hook and will adjust the size of the hook depending on application.

Get some wide gap hooks for swim baits and thick plastics. I normally use something around a #4 in a wide gap hook.

Those two types of hooks will allow you to throw about any plastic.

Now, side from just hooks I would suggest some shakey head jigs, and some regular jigs. However, these are a personal preference when to be used so I'll let some of the seasoned guys go into that stuff.

Good luck and tight lines.

Welcome to bass fishing by the way!

~^~^~^~^~^
| Mr. A
|
¿ {

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Mr A. Not being picky but I think you mean to say 2/0 and 4/0 instead of size 2 or 4? For the OP, as far as hook sizes go, as long as you stay with the same manufacturer and the same model, all the hooks shanks are basically the same length with the difference in size being the gap of the hook. One size from one manufacturer may rig differently than another manufacturers hook because of the length of the hooks shank. A straight shank hook gives the best hook set of any style hook because there is no offset from the hooks eye to its' shank. But they don't hold a bait as well. Some manufacturers like Trokar or Mustad have special keepers that hold the bait up just as well as an offset shank would.

When I am selecting a hook for a bait I am buying at a store I take a bait out of the bag (if possible) and a hook from the package and lay them in a position as if they were rigged. That way I can see how far back the hook point will be, as well as what kind of gap I have between the hook's shank and the body of the bait. On a solid bodied bait like a worm, I like the gap between the lure body and the hook shank to be the same as the thickness of the bait. For a tube or other hollow bodied baits, I like the gap to be at least half of the bodies thickness.

Personally I am very partial to Owner hooks. They're strong, hold a point well, and are very sharp. But they aren't as sharp as Trokar. There is no factory hook that I know of that is as sharp as a Trokar hook. But it's like Shaggy said. Their point is so sharp that it cuts through the back of the plastic when you are using a Texposed rigging. Although I will say I disagree with him when he says you can't stick the point in the plastic. You can.... but it will cut it's way out, and depending on the type of cover you're fishing... it can cut through very quickly. But you'll not find a sharper, or easier penetrating hook on the market.

The hook I use most often is an Owner Wide Gap Plus. Awesome hooks. I use them for creature baits, craws, and lizards. For Texas rigging worms or stick worms (Senkos) I use a standard or wide gap straight shank Owner. The wide gap straight shank uses a thicker wire for the hook. For tubes I use a Trokar TK 190 tube hook, or a Shaw Grigsby HP tube hook.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
I would respond to this but geeze.... you could write a book about this... seems like a million combinations... there isn't even really a rule of thumb... every piece of plastic has different widths and girth, different types of cover and structure... everything has a different place...

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess I did leave this pretty open ended. I am not a pro bass fisherman and don't intend to be one. I am not really new to bass fishing so to speak, but I tend to use baits that I know work and stick with them. The problem with that is obviously certain situations won't allow those baits to work. So I am not trying to learn everything right now.

To simplify things a bit, what hooks do you guys like for texas and wacky rigging weightless senkos? I really want to like senkos but so far my luck has been spotty at best and I think my rigging is a big part of it.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Of you like senko's and baits similar girth I would buy 2/0 offset worm hooks, 3/0 wide gap hooks, and some wacky rig hooks. Seems like that would cover your needs for now.

~^~^~^~^~^
| Mr. A
|
¿ <°»))))>{

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Ok...... for Texas rigging a 4" Senko, I use a 3/0 standard, straight shank Owner hook. for a 5" Senko, I use a 3/0 wide gap, straight shank Owner hook.

For wacky rigging a 4" Senko, I use a #4 Owner Mosquito hook, and for a 5" Senko, I use a #1 Owner Mosquito hook. And instead of hooking it through the bait or through a single O ring ....... I use something called a wacky saddle.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, that should be plenty of info to get me started.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I would suggest not skimping on hooks, go with a good quality brand, like some that Shaggy mentioned. I like Gamakatsu, and Trokar's lazer hooks the best myself.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would suggest not skimping on hooks, go with a good quality brand, like some that Shaggy mentioned. I like Gamakatsu, and Trokar's lazer hooks the best myself.
Yeah I am pretty much to the point where I may not buy $200 reels, but I try not to really "skimp" on anything ya know. That's kind of the reasoning for the thread. I've always just gotten by with basics but I am trying to get my knowledge to catch up to my gear lol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts