close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What fishing line do you use?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Rod&Reel, Jul 21, 2005.

1. I have tried a few different kinds and so far I like Berkley's Ironsilk. And of all the ones I have tried, I hate Berkleys Trilene XT Extra Strength the most.

2. easternflyfisher

easternflyfisher BassHaveOvertaken

i use p line CXXXtra strong 8lb, some floroucarbon 6lb line i found at wally world, and suffix siege 8lb.

3. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

I only fish for catfish, and it's trilene big game for me.

4. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Light tackle angling...G-power(co-polymer)
    Med. tackle angling...G-power, McCoy mean green, Silverthread AN-40(Co-polymers)
    Heavy tackle angling...Mason Braided Dacron(Nylon/Polyester)

I dont use regular mono unless i am fishing lots of cover and know i will tear up line...then its berkley Big Game...cheap & tough.

Scott

5. Bully Braid with floroucarbon leaders.

6. TexasPete

TexasPete Fishin' Fool

Magnaflex, baby... Good stuff. Like a woman likes her man, strong, yet sensitive!

7. Iron_Chef_CD

Iron_Chef_CD Allez Cuisine

Just switched from stren to Iron Silk 8lb, green flavor. Still in it's trial stage but so far so good.

8. Banker

Banker Banned

I've been using the Berkely Trilene XL (4 or 6 lb)it's described as:

"Strong, extra-limp Berkely Trilene XL comes off the spool smooth and straight. You get long, accurate, controllable casts and natural lure presentation with this low-visibility line. "

It is very strong, and I am able to get fairly long accurate casts (and natural lure presentation I suppose, can't confirm with fish) in this low-visibility line. That part about coming of the spool smooth and straight? Hah this stuff has more memory than a brand new top of the line computer and seems to twist like crazy. I just haven't been able to find hardly any other choices (that aren't mail order). In addition it may be bc I don't use swivels. What are your thoughts on this, for casting and retrieving does the lack of a swivel cause significant line twist?

I started a separate thread on the swivel thing over on tackle talk.

9. For the first time this year, I am using Seaguar 12# fluoro on the heavier baitcasters, and Berkley Transition fluorocarbon on a couple of the spinning rigs and a light weight baitcaster. Really liking the flurocarbon so far.

10. I am using 8lb Fireline smoke color on my cheap set up and 14lb Fireline green color on my good set up.

11. bronzebackyac

bronzebackyac Crick Smallie Fisherman

I use the ironsilk 8lb test in the creek b/c it is highly abrasion resistant. It casts smooth and is very strong. In fact i think it is the hardest mono type line to break off.
    I also like 6lb vanish floro for clear and late season smallmouth fishing, when the fish are tough to get to strike. It handles well on the spool and is strong. The only braided line that I use it fireline. I use the really thin stuff on an ultralight and it it is great. I have some spools of 14lb too and you can tow a boat with this stuff. It is great in the creeks where you may catch a pike or musky. I used it up in the UP of MI last fall and landed several nice pike and a 33" musky w/o a leader. Never had a breakoff. If handles better than any braid that I have used including Power pro.

I don't use it much any more but good ole Trilene XL is tough to beat for the price.

12. Hooch

Hooch Fare Thee Well!

It's Fireline 10lb and 8lb with floroucarbon leaders on my walleye/saugeye, and perch rigs. For Crankbaits, I'll use P-Line floroucarbon. To answer the question about line twist, if you fish with in-line spinners much, such as rooster tails, blue fox vibrax, or mepps spinners, you need a good ball bearing swivel or you can do what I do, take a pair of pliers or hemo's and put a 90 degreee bend in the wire just before the line tie. This will not affect the action too much and the line twist is reduced a lot. -Hooch-

13. 2talltim

2talltim Bubby wanna be

just bought my first spools of spiderwire super braid for my cat poles...going to throw them out for the first time tonight ill let you know what i think...always used mono before theis is the first time iv tried braided

14. Cat Mazter

Cat Mazter Pro Catfisherman

I use Berkley Big Game on my Cat Pole's, & a Lighter Berkley Line for my Bass & Saugeye Poles.

15. DavidWS10

DavidWS10 Bankless Boat Trash

I'm using BPS Excel 30# on all of my cat reels. And 65# Spiderwire Stealth on my carp reels.

16. brandonjh00

brandonjh00 wannabebasspro

12# Stren Magnaflex (clear), for me, it's withstood everything I've thrown at it.

17. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

Spiderwire on all my non-catfish rods and 65lb PP on my cat rods. Nothing else comes close for me anymore. Mono feels so dead, flouro is too hard to work with and the fused lines get fuzzy too fast. I've also tried and liked Cabela's RipCord Si but I can buy the Spiderwire and the PP local at BPS.

I use a 10' leader of flouro on my Spiderwire rods for less visibility.

UFM82

18. bass

bass EAT SLEEP FISH

I use Trilene XT on my baitcasters and XL on my spinning used them all always go back to Trilene ;)