Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Worst fisherman ever.
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being fairly new to the sport, I am wondering, with the water level high in places like the tusc, and most likely muddy, will the fishing suffer for the next few days? Worth going out tomorrow? Or better to wait a few days?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
The rivers and streams not controlled by a lake will be high and muddy for the next couple days to a week(depends on the river, some clear quicker than others).

You're best bet would be to fish a lake/pond, or a river/stream where the levels are controlled by a reservoir. Will the rain affect the bite? Well, there's only one way to find out!

·
NE Ohio Fly Fisherman
195 Posts
Forget about fishing any Streams, Creeks, or Rivers for at least until Satuday the 13th...most if not all are flooded and most are over their banks...the smaller creeks and tributaries clear up faster than most of the main rivers....The Tusc will take at least 5 days if not more to get back to fishable conditions...the water level is at 9' right now and still rising...flooded in Canal Fulton and other Parks including Lock 4 in canal Fulton and also flooded at the Lake Lacern Dam area off of High St in Canal Fulton.......stick with the lakes until Saturday.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
If you fish lakes/reservoirs where new water is coming in fast, be sure to have a big white spinnerbait or in-line ready to go... the baitfish will congregate to the new oxygen filled water, and predators won't be far behind. perfect example would be North rez by the pipe... if there is a mudline, fish just outside of it.
After hard rains, it's usually a great time to put out a tight line for cats too.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My pond is up about 4 feet over the grass and the bass and gills were in the shallows just destroying the night crawlers and worms that were coming out of the ground under the flooding.. Really cool to watch..

·
NE Ohio Fly Fisherman
195 Posts
Lock 4 in Canal Fulton is completely under water including the parking lot....also the Park downtown is completely under water....they moved the Canal Days kiddie rides out of there today before it got to bad....the parking lot across the street from Lake Lacern is now underwater from the water run-off of the street pipes...seen some kids in there playing in the water earlier this afternoon when i drove by....and I just checked the latest Gauge Readings and the River is at 9.96 feet and expected to rise to just under 14'.....it's going to be a long time before the tusc is fishable again....although there not forcasting any rain for the next 7 days...by tuesday of next week it should be starting to go down...the latest Gauge reading is 3900 CFM....3800 gallons of water per second....man that's alot of water.

·
Registered
48 Posts
the tusc is pretty high right now and dangerous i would not chance it. if you threw your line out it would be swept down the river and most likely be taken to the shore downsteam . i know in massillon the river is very swollen and muddy. i have been waiting for the rain to die down so i can do some wading for pike and smallmouth but i havent had my chance in the last few weeks due to high levels and merkyness of the water since im fishing for sight predators.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
7.48 gallons per cubic foot. 3900 CFM (cubic feet per minute) x 7.48 = 29,172. 29,172 divided by 60 (60 seconds in a minute) = 486.2 gallons per second.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
I would think that were the small creeks come into the lakes, the fish will be gorging on worms and bugs that were washed into the creek. Otherwise, the area by the dam on the lake will be the only place with clear water. Mogadore should be fairly clear since it has a lot of wetlands and weeds upstream to filter the sediment. Never seen that lake muddy, just algae filled.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts