Ohio Game Fishing banner

what does "on salary" mean?

• if youre on salary sometimes you have to work over 40 hours a week without extra pay

Votes: 101 97.1%
  • if youre on salary you dont have to work more than 40 hours a week

Votes: 3 2.9%
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)
5,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. it means "i sometimes have to work more than 40 hours in a week without extra pay".

2. it means "i will not work over 40 hours since they dont pay me overtime"

just curious what most people think about this....

·
SMB and Saugeyes.
175 Posts
Depends on your employment contract.

If you're salaried, it means you have a fixed annual pay (i.e., 50K Base/yr.). Usually one accepts this salary with the understanding that it includes compensation for any necessary overtime hours. A normal salaried job may require 50-60+ hours a week either regularly or at certain times of year.

If you're not salaried, it means you're paid hourly.

Or if you're special, you may have an arrangement where you're salaried but get paid extra when you have to work overtime.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
been on salary for 5+ years(foreman for a roofing co.) i rarely work over 40 with ALOT of short weeks due to weather:D...IF i am asked to work overtime mon-fri thats fine...saturday work requires extra pay(usually $250 for 8 hrs and only a few times a year)...was told at the last salary job i had(building modular homes) that i was non exempt and they could make me work 7 days a week...went to arbitration and i was working 4 days a week after that.;)..so i really have seen alot of differences with nothing etched in stone...always read the fine print before accepting salary!!! can be great as i has been for me but a bad deal for some...my .02 worth!

·
Banned
1,181 Posts
it means no holiday pay alot of overtime and the ability for your bosses to call you at all hours of the night and to work any extra hours they see fit.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
It means that I make more than those who work for me, but less than those for whom I work, but I now have 10X the responsibilty and 100X the accountability....

It means that everybody wants a piece of me but nobody puts any back....

It means that I used to have friends at work and now I have employees....

It means that in some eyes I have become "that guy".....

It means that I now have to discipline those same folks who I used to represent....

It means that I am all of a sudden supposed to understand every single process and procedure without any training....

It means that I might have to work more than 40 hours a week, but the only way I'm working less is if I take vacation....

It means that when I take vacation I know that I will come back to an absolute disaster EACH AND EVERY TIME.....

It means that when I used to get home from work and the wife asked "how was your day?" to which I replied..."bleh...just fine I guess.." has now turned into "@%@#$#$^@#[email protected]#!!!!"

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
It really depends on the company. I have worked once place that was totally different then where I am now. Where if I worked over I awasn't paid any more but if I didn't get my 40 in they took pay away. Now I olny but in 36-38 a week and get paid if I stay over 40. I would always ask all questions before signing anything.

·
Registered
974 Posts
It means the company "owns your behind".... I have always out in 50 to 60 hrs. per week since I've been on salary. You do not have to worry about losing money for holidays & sick days, but you do not get paid for night/week-end travel & seminars.....

·
The Original Hot Rod
6,732 Posts
In most cases it means that you are an Exempt employee...which means you are not subject to the same requirements as a non-exempt employee. In a nut shell you can be requested to work additional hours without your employer paying additional compensation. In some cases you can get additional compensation for longer hours but it's strictly up to your employer.
On the flip side...there is a lot more flexibilty when it comes to salary, time off, start time, quitting time, etc.

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
It means that I make more than those who work for me, but less than those for whom I work, but I now have 10X the responsibilty and 100X the accountability....

It means that everybody wants a piece of me but nobody puts any back....

It means that I used to have friends at work and now I have employees....

It means that in some eyes I have become "that guy".....

It means that I now have to discipline those same folks who I used to represent....

It means that I am all of a sudden supposed to understand every single process and procedure without any training....

It means that I might have to work more than 40 hours a week, but the only way I'm working less is if I take vacation....

It means that when I take vacation I know that I will come back to an absolute disaster EACH AND EVERY TIME.....

It means that when I used to get home from work and the wife asked "how was your day?" to which I replied..."bleh...just fine I guess.." has now turned into "@%@#$#$^@#[email protected]#!!!!"

WOW! This might be the most accurate post I've ever seen! I mean I could not have said it any better. Those are almost my exact feelings.

·
Registered
789 Posts
In the state of Ohio, I was told years ago by some one who claimed to know the law, to be legally paid salary you have to have the authority to hire & fire, have to have at least 3 employees that report to you & 1 other thing I forget. Employers will break the law in how they pay employees, most figure their employees don't know the law & will screw you every chance they get. That person may have made this up.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
I am Salary....This week I worked about 25-30 hours.....However,My travel time was about 15 hours.And I spent the nite in the mountins one nite.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I didn't mean every one but many break the law on every payroll. I worked for a company in Delaware whose entire payroll system is illegal. Making people show up early & drive 40 miles to pick up & deliver material, all off the clock. Claiming to pay service techs $30.00 per hour but only when they were in houses on calls, which is legal but he required them to show up at shop early & hang until they had calls & wouldn't pay them for time spent waiting for calls, only when on calls. If they didn't come in he fired them. I will not type the words that describe that man, blatantly ignored labor laws, didn't report income to tax officials so he wouldn't have to pay matching amounts but left his employees liable for taxes if anyone found out.

·
-Brady-
440 Posts
It means you are the suit and tie thats been busting my nads all day. Even though I do my job to the best of my ability, (albeit a 30 year pace), you still say it could be done better. But at least when I clock out, I clock out. You, on the flip side, are always on the clock. Never would I ever be salary.

BTW-Sorry to vent, I had a prick of a sup. shadow me today, and it was a long long day.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Old place I used to work the typical salaried person ( foremen ) made what I made as if I worked one extra day.

In other words if I worked a Saturday at time and a half for 8 hrs my take home equaled theirs. They were normally scheduled for a sixty hour week. Overtime was not mandatory for the salaried people but counted heavily when it came to review time.

Rarely if ever did they work a 40 hour week. They often worked over 60 hours a week trying to outshine each other.

When approached by the company represenative to come on over to the " smart side ". I replied that I could not afford the "cut in pay. " Not only that but I realized long time ago that with my big mouth and temper that I would not have lasted very long.

also too much work and not enough fishing time never computed well with me either

·
Registered
381 Posts
When I was in a salaried position, it meant I had some flexibility in my hours and I had a good boss who I had an arrangement with to split the holiday shifts each year. But it also meant if something needed to get done, I got to work all the uncompensated overtime I wanted. If it could be comped out, fine, but if not that was just part of the job.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts