close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What do you take out catfishing with you?

Discussion in 'Catfish Discussion' started by H2O Mellon, Sep 13, 2005.

1. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Here's an idea of what I take out on average. Jack takes the same (well.... only one of us has the net) Now we have been downsizing for the last 1 year+. 40 pounds of sinkers, hooks, extra reels, etc..... has not became 10 pounds. It wouldnt be so bad if this stuff was in a boat, but we are walking up to a mile through the woods, the mud, the rocks, the water, etc with all this stuff. I know your probally thinking we dont need all this, but we do, everything we bring gets used (except the net!). Now granted we could sit on the ground, but man after walking so far with all the gear, we need a comfortable seat.

-2 Rod/Reel Outfits
    -Chair/buckett
    -buckett for live bait (couple pounds of goldfish, gills, suckers, etc...)
    -small cooler or the like for cut bait (couple pounds of Shad/Skips)
    -hooks-reg
    -hooks-circle
    -sinkers-usually way too many
    -couple flashlights
    -water
    -net
    -camera
    -rod holders (very heavy-but needed for the circle hooks)
    -some time extra clothes to change into before/after the wading in the

2. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Yup that sounds about right...i fit all of my gear in a backpack(a LARGE ONE).
    Onlything i carry by hand is my 2 rods and my baitbucket....everything else is "neatly" packed away for the long haul.

Yea would be nice to take all the comforts of home...heck i'd be happy to take a comfortable seat..lol....but i already take around 25 lbs. on my back...6-10 lbs. bucket weight.....probably 6-8 lbs. with both rods and reels....and guys wonder why i took a break from cattin...hmm...?..hey.....i carry WAY more gear than that carping......?...GEEZ US!!....so much for taking a "break"...lol...but atleast i catch a TON of fish still....and i dont smell like cut bait when i get home...lol.

Scott

3. H2O Mellon

Scott, my wife swears that she can smell me while shes sleeping as soon as I come in! Have you ever noticied that the 40 # of gear feels like 80 # on the way back, espically if you get :S !

4. Smallie Gene

Smallie Gene Banned

1) 18 pack miller lite in big ice chest
    2) one gallon water
    3) 2 cans grizzly wintergreen
    4) one pack marlboro lights
    5) one large bag of cheetos
    6) bouy knife
    7) 2 rods and reels
    8) chair
    9) insulated flannel shirt
    10) lighter
    11) fireworks
    12) lantern, flashlite
    13) newspaper/magazine
    14) toilet paper
    15) preparation H
    16) tackle box with hooks and sinkers
    17) 22 pistola
    18) beef jerky or meat sticks of some sort
    19) bug spray
    20) chapstick
    21) wallet with fishing license
    22)

5. H2O Mellon

Oh yea, I almost forgot the gun. I usually take a .38, .357, or .45 along w/ a pockett North American Arms .22lr.

I think I about scared poor Cat Mazster once, he went to gent something out of my tackle bag & a bringht shinny Taurus .38 was in there!-Reminds me of a time, soon after the guy got mugged & rubbed @ Paint Creek Spillway: Flathunter was there w/ his .45 on his side & I was there w/ my .44 special on my side. Funny...... no one gave us a hard time, although we did get some looks! ;)

6. Predator225

Predator225 Predator225

The reason i love the fall fishing is that i abandon my summer trips to southern ohio and just concentrate on my areas up here because most of the panfisherman & pleasure boaters are off the water. The last 2 weeks tripe have been made pretty lightly:

2 - rod/reels + 1 bait rod
    1 - tackle bag (weighs about 20lbs) which contains the following:
    - all terminal tackle, headlamp, batteries, extra flashlight, camera, cell phone, scissors, bug spray, lightsticks, xtra smokes, crappie fisherman repelent (i wish)
    1- medium sized cooler with an aerator which doubles as a bait tank with a bucket inside it to fill the cooler with
    1-small, soft-sided cooler with bottles of water, gatorade, etc. & ice

It has been nice to get back to the car & not be huffing & puffing from all the gear i bust ou like the trips down to the rivers, there might not be enough room on this site for all that stuff!

7. I always carry electrical tape and/or crazy glue to seal up any wounds/cuts i might get..Keep in mind crazy glue works well but stings a little,,oh heck,alot..Small tool pack for repairs..

Insane---out

8. Predator225

Predator225 Predator225

GOOD CALL INsane, i carry 'liquid skin'. It comes in the medkits i have at my restaurant; hockey players use it; as i have like when i ran that octopus hook through the webbing in my hand between thumb & forefinger. OUCH! :eek:

9. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

you guys sound like you're going on a 6 week excursion in the outback :D
    bryan,no wonder you and jack want a boat.sounds like you need at least a mule,LOL.

and smallie,are you going fishing or to a party? :D

i would say when you get older and wiser,you'll learn to work smarter and not harder,but that only goes for some,as guys like katfish and magis need such things as barges to haul all the neccessities:rolleyes: ;)

nowadays for me,if alone,on land or boat.

a couple rods/reels
    tackle bag w/hooks,sinkers,knife,flashlight(couple pounds)
    smokes
    maybe a bag of munchies and bottle of water
    bait
    maybe a chair when on the bank

sometimes a little more when fishing with partner/partners,to whom i'm grateful for being the mule :)

10. Smallie Gene

Smallie Gene Banned

Misfit, if I'm going to be out for 2-3 hours, I'm not going to die of thirst!

Misfit, you're the one who said you would take a pound of smoke! Now who's partying? I stay away from that stuff, I'm crazy enough they tell me.

Yeah, having a roll of tape and some rope is always a good idea.

11. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

:D
    if that were the case,there would be no need for the rest of the gear(except for the munchies):D ;)

12. H2O Mellon

Thats a great idea, forget the boat, we need a mule!

13. Got an idea for some of you guys. Gander Mountain carries a chair made by Guide Series. It's collapsable and has a rod holder between your legs as well as storage on both arms. When you fold it up, it has velcro closures and backpack straps. I think the Gander here in the Canton area sells them for about $40.

14. dip

dip dip

i bring a troutline and a pack of juicy fruit gum. :B

15. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

The last time out I had 5- 8-oz sinkers, 32-3oz sinkers, and 15-4 oz sinkers in my pack..I think it was overkill.

16. H2O Mellon

I pitty the por SOB's that want to get into a rock tossig fight w/ us. We'll be chunking pounds & pounds of lead at 'em!

17. bill_gfish

bill_gfish Well, Gee Whiz!

I usually take an ass with me, oh wait, he drives and takes me with him. :D

jack didnt you mellon have a mule but the mellon head forgot his slim jims one time and after a few hours he ate the mule.

I usually bring enough stuff.

18. ohioredneck08

ohioredneck08 Redneck

i take bait n alot of beer and poles patience

19. Looks like most of you guys covered this pretty well but in my first 3 trips I have noticed a need for 2 additional things,
    1, is I carry a golf towell which has a carabeener type clip on itand use it on my belt loop to keep extra stinky goop off my hands, or clean hands for camera, etc.
    2, is a pair of extra long hook removers since those turtles can be mighty nasty and not very happy about having hooks in them,

3, even though I havent needed it yet, I got a leather glove which would be great to hold up a beast of a fish and also comes in handy for releasing Gar, bowfin or any other toothy critters.

Salmonid

20. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

salmonid,gloves are a very good idea,and a lot of guys use them.i guess i'm just too stubborn and like gettin' my hands roughed up:rolleyes:

as for the turtles,some people i know have a real simple solution to that problem :D
    [​IMG]