close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What do you guys think?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Flathead King 06, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Flathead King 06

Flathead King 06 click...click...click

here is a design for a pole holder I made.... it is designed with functionality and commodity in mind for the shore-bound catfisherman.... it will easily "collapse" down to a smaller size for storage and transportation, it doesnt weigh much, easy to use, and it can be used in any bank terrain with the designed point...

what do you guys think? would you change anything? please give me some feedback

[​IMG]

2. snake69

snake69 Equal opportunity fishing

Don't have any input, alot of good I am, eh..! But I'll take a couple. Would be nice when I take the kids fishing. Looks good from my vantage point!

3. neocats1

neocats1 Team Catastrophe

How will the rod be held in place?

4. Flathead King 06

Flathead King 06 click...click...click

The two adjustable flat pieces on each end will slide up and down to "balance" the pole.... so the one "slider" closest to the left side of the picture will hole the end of the rod from going up.... and the front slider will hold the front part of the handle from dropping down....

try and think of it as balancing a pencil on your finger.... then put a "stop" above the end of the pencil and then one under the front part of the pencil....the extra weight out front will make hold it in...ill try and make another picture with a rod in it demonstrating how it will "sit" in there

5. the arms need a radius, the rod wont stay in the center and would have to be positioned just right, the radius in the arms would adjust the rods for perfect center and wouldnt have to adjust it all the time even in windy conditions, the cotter type pin for height adjustment i would change to a spring loaded push pin for quick on the fly height adjusting simple and easy to use. the arms would need to be coated with some type of silicon or rubber to keep the rod from sliding out due to the weight of the reel and the butt of the rod. it might be worth wild changing the the reel end arm to a lobster type claw arm that grips that part of the rod while the other end supports the rest of the rod, not a bad idea.

6. bones

bones blah-blah-blah

why not make one of the arm holders round?this should keep your pole in place by sliding the handle in.in your design what happens if a larger fish take the bait from a angle?my thought would be it would pull the pole right off.by making on round end you add more stability.you can go even further by making the other side more c or v shaped.the rubber coating would also help.im not trying to be critical but i think the right angle slide arm would only work if a fish took the bait straight on.good luck and let me know what you think

7. Walmart sells a rod holder that sticks in the sand or dirt at the shore and holds a single rod, cost is $1.88. It works fine and is compact, about 15 inches tall by 2 1/2 inches in diameter where the rod is held.

I applaud your design though. Check out the Walmart version, you might get other ideas.