Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I save a few for the smoker, release the rest. What would happen if you put them on ice right after catching them, fillet them right away and freeze them in water?

How do you all prepare them for the table?

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
i prepare them just like crappy i dont use breading though like other just butter season salt and garlic slat taste great they do just fine on ice you need ice on them they spoil easy

·
Registered
536 Posts
You really hit it right on the target there. The key is ice, lots of ice on the fish right after catching them, then fillet and freeze. of course they are best CCC-ed. (caught-cleaned-cooked)

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Where I work there are some older couples that just love it when I make the rounds with bags of fresh white bass, of course they think they are walleye and I would never tell them differant:)

Scott

·
Registered
979 Posts
i agree, keep em on ice and when you clean them cut all the red off the filet. i like to put them in foil with lemon and butter and steam them on the grill. i never used to eat them until i lived in atlanta and started catching striper and found out how good they were. when i came back up here i decided to give it a try with some big white bass since they are in the same family. same result.

·
"I sat by the river" N.Mc
1,062 Posts
catch and release.

·
Registered
280 Posts
You guys are missing out on IMO the best eating fish out there (when prepared right). I put them omn ice immediately, frezze and cook. When I do cook them I only use Old Bay seasoning and nothing else. Cook over authentic hardwood charcoal Yummy!:D

·
Registered
96 Posts
I just catch and release them for the most part - I fish them just for sport.

I will say more than a few times I have filled a cooler and looked for an 'old timer' or someone that looks like they really NEED the fish for table fare. It's a lot of fun to completely make their day.
Same here coolwater but the reason i do that is cause im tp lazy to clean them:D

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
I think they are some of the best eating also. You just have to leave the red meat on the skin when you fillet them. Put them on ice and freeze them soon after you clean them and they are great. The meat is nice and firm, more so than crappies, and I think they are as good as perch or gills.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I wouldnt go as far as to say they're as good as perch but I love them. I think its agreed that they're best if you ice them asap (like all fish). I liken the taste and texture of white bass to tilapia. Its not the best fish out there but decent fish is better than no fish in my book. I bread and pan fry it, bake it, grill it and deep fry it. I like to save them and have a couple of fish fry's around the start of football season for friends and family.

·
Super Moderator
3,925 Posts
I will keep around 20 when the water/air is still cold out (if I am wading I dont have the option of ice)

I bleed them out in the river as soon as they are unhooked and placed on the stringer. In transport I make sure they are on ice and as stated many times before when you skin them out make sure to not press so hard against the board. You want to actually leave the red area on the skin and when your successful you will see nothing but white fillets. Not bad eating but IMO are not as good as crappie or bluegill. They pretty much rival anything else.

·
Northcoast Madman
1,669 Posts
I usually catch as many as I can and take them home and use them for fertilizer.

Just kidding...I don't keep them.;) :D

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
c&r
but if my friends want a fish fry, wb are fine fried if you fillet them right

i still dont know why everyone eats eyes n wb when sheaphead are just as good when done right, and easy to catch all the time :D

·
Registered
232 Posts
Every year when the whites come in around Huron I see people putting them in a bucket of water that gets hot and bloody. Then they complain they don't taste good. Put them on ice just as you would a Walleye and they're decent! Especially now with cold water.

·
Super Moderator
3,925 Posts
this pertains to the smaller inland lakes that have a head/tailwaters spawning run.

Wether you catch and release or keep fish i would like you to consider not walking through the spawning habitat (current with gravel substrate).
I see guys walking straight though the middle of the river which ruins n:confused:n both the fishing and the reproduction. Lots of times you could catch WB on the inside seam of the main channel right to the bankside at your feet. Also throwing back most of the females would up our odds for future recruitment.

Use that common sense when invading these vunerable fish.

·
Multi-Species Fanatic
1,814 Posts
fishcoffin,
Yep I hear ya man... I could have added too lazy to clean them as well!

I know you guys are right that are making the point that we are missing out on some good eating. As many as I've caught, I've ate WB only one time ever and they were quite good. Since I didn't make the walleye run this year and have only a little perch left in the freezer, maybe I'll give it a go with keeping some myself.

What do you guys like for the breading on them? Any recommendations? I think I only have Fryin Magic on hand.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts