close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What do you all think she is worth?

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Fastlane, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Fastlane

Fastlane Fishless as usual

I am looking at a few boats. Today I ran across one that seems to be a really good deal but I know nothing about boat values. It is a 1988 Bayliner Trophy center console with a 85 hp Force outboard. No trolling motor and no depth finder but everything else seemed to work great. I think it will be a great catfishing boat. It has 4 rod holders built in and a small livewell that needs airation hooked up to it and it has plenty of rod storage area. I really liked the center console design too since it enables you to walk all around the boat. Not really the exact boat I was expecting to get but it is nice. The owner says it is a 16 footer but it looks a lot longer than that. I am thinking it is 18' or so maybe even 19'. I towed it to the river today and put her in to fire it up and it started right up. Boat has been sitting for atleast 2 years but does not show it.

Here are a few pics I took with my phone so they are not the best but what do you experts think it is worth in average condition (I would rate it better than average myself but I am trying to be reserved here).

Attached Files:

2. Fastlane

Oh yeah, it does have the canvas for the bimini top with it too.

3. Capt.Muskey

Capt.Muskey Ohio Fishing Militia

$3,850 to $4,325 :D Just a guess.

4. Fastlane

SOunds like maybe I am getting a good deal then. If things go my way I pick her up Tuesday evening or Wed morning.

5. Nada Has Boat Values Just Like Cars..just Measure The Boat For Length.it

Should Be On The Title..bayliners Arent The Best Boats But If You Are Getting A Good Deal Go For It..you Might Wanna Paint That Trailor As They Rust Fast.looks Like It Had A Cover On It Or Was Kept In The Garage..you Might Want To Run It A While Around The Lk To Give It That Fastlane Ok//

6. Fastlane

The trailer is almost new. It was built in 2002 and is in great shape. Owner said the trailer has probably only been in the water a dozen times. I can't remember the brand name but it is a nice galvanized one.

I don't think the boat was garaged though at least not at his house. It may have been covered or shrink wrapped. It does need a little clean up work which will be easy since it is all fiberglass.

7. The model number will indicate size, 1852,is a 18 fter, 240, would be a 24 fter

8. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

I wouldn't wish a BayJoke on my worst enemy.

You get what you pay for. They aren't the cheapest boats for no reason.

9. 17 Yrs Old Then..no More Than 2500.00...

10. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

Bayliners aren't the best boats ever made but they're not throw aways either. I love the people who make fun of them but have never owned one. Fastlane- you'll love the center console set-up for catfishing. It's what I run and it's perfect.

On the boat, if the floor is decent and the overall boat is OK, that's good. Check the transom and the keel. Make sure the whole thing is good. Look in all the compartments and check the hatches.

The Force engine IS a turd but it will run well enough to get by. Just keep in mind that you need to spend as little as possible on this boat because public ignorance will keep you from getting much resell out of it.

$2,500 would be tops for me. It's old and tired, although the trailer is probably worth $1,500 just because it's galvanized and will last.

If it works for you, buy it and clean it up. It's worth what you want it to be. Boats are a money losing venture anyway you look at them and nothing will change that. I don't care if it's a Bayliner, a Sea Ray or a Ranger or a Lund, they're all gonna cost you money.

I ran a 2052 Bayliner for a year and it was a decent boat for what I paid for it. I sold it for twice what I paid for it and still sold it cheap. That's how I funded Candy Baby.

UFM82

Attached Files:

11. Fastlane

Why is this your feeling? Have you owned a Bayliner before and had trouble? Do you work on boats? What type of boat do you own and operate? I don't want to come across like a jerk here but I am looking for straight forward advice here. I will be the first to admit that I am boat ignorant. Opinions are great but experience is what I am after or working knowledge. I don't want to be part of a Ford vs Chevy pissing match especially if it is from someone with no experience with Bayliner. From what I have researched, Bayliners are not the Lexus of boats but they are far from a Yugo too. A few I have spoken to have mentioned weakness in the transom area which I intend to check on before I finalize the transaction. I know that Force engines are not the best but are reliable enough for my needs. In my research experience I know that there are going to be bad reports on any product from someone out there. It is much easier to complain when something goes wrong than to praise when it does what it should. Don't get me wrong, I am not going to slam anyone for their voice but if someone is going to say "POS" or anything like that I would just like to know why and what the bad experience is based on. I could easily say "Corvettes are junk" but I have never owned one and have only driven a few. My opinion would be worthless to someone who is honestly interested in one. I have no experience with owning or maintaining one.

In my experience, owning a boat means you have a large hole in the water in which to throw money into. I have a very limited budget to buy a boat with and this boat seems to have a lot of potential and is only $2000. I had no intentions of paying more than about $1500 for a boat so I was not looking at Rangers or Lunds. My goals were to find a boat with between 40-75 hp, power tilt and trim, stable and large enough to take to the big creek down south, would be easy to fish out of, and not sink on it's maiden voyage. After going through the papers, looking online, and driving all over hell's half acre, these boats are scarce. Every boat that I went to look at was below par. I was close to buying one very near my house but the seller would not return my calls about wanting to take it out on the lake for a test ride. He said "The keys are in it if you want to start it up in the yard". That statement alone told me the boat was not likely taken care of.

Sure I would like to own a new Ranger or Nitro but that is not in the budget. I also don't want to be tied to a monthly payment. On the same note, if I am buying a nightmare, I don't want that either.

So with that said, is the boat worth $2000 knowing it has not been used in at least 2 years. It is in great condition looks wise. IT started up without any trouble at all and returned to idle with no problems. I did not notice any movement in the transom but I need to check that again to be sure.

I couldn't agree more :)
    All this seemed to be good to excellent although I need to re-check the transom again.

Thanks for all the advice.

12. Smallie Gene

Smallie Gene Banned

My guess is that you can find your boat selling around $4,000 in other states touching the ocean but in Ohio, your boat is worth about $3,200 but I'd say the most someone would pay for it would be $2,200-$2,500. I used E-Bay to do my estimate. My wife and mother-in-law just had a yard sale a couple weeks ago so I had to learn fast about appraising stuff.

13. Fastlane

Funny you mention that. The boat was prucased at some point in its life from a dealer in Palm Beach Fl because it has a dealer sticker on the transome like car dealers put on their cars.

14. I do work on boats and have for many years. From my experience no one boat is far superior than the other it just matters how you maintain it. If you use good judgement while in the water, keep it washed waxed and covered and service it regularly, it will last many years. As far as a bayliner I highly doubt that many people on a fishing forum own or have ever owned one, but I do,and we love ours. We bought ours new in 1989 and it still looks and runs like the day we bought it. Ihave never done any repair outside of regular maintenence.(except one outdrive back in 1990 when lodders marine service it wrong and didn't fill it to the top) My hull is solid, my transom is strong, my gelcoat looks new, and my floors and carpet are perfect. In my opinion if you can buy a 18' trophy that runs well and is solid for that price go for it. just keep it clean, keep it serviced and you will enjoy it.

15. Fastlane

Well, I bought her and took her on her maiden voyage yesterday @ CC (twice actually). First time in the water if would'nt start. Pulled it out and it was not comming out of gear. I had been tinkering with it and the shift cable was loose so I tightned it up and apparently did not get it quite lined up. Rode around the lake for about an hour before I decided it was time to bring her in since we had an appointment at 1:15 and it was nearning 11:15 now. Get back to the dock and attempt to load it. Big wave shifts the transome out of possition so instead of backing the boat off then back on, I back the truck up some. Big time mistake. The rear tires touched the water and it was all she wrote. 4 guys helped push the truck back up the ramp, I thanked them and hai tailed it out of there. Anyway, the boat ran "ok" but it deffinitely needs a tune up. And fresh gas. I siphoned about 8 gallons out but then I ran out of cans. What do you do with old gas to dispose of it anyway? The only other issue I noticed is the power tilt bleeds off pretty fast. The tilt seemed to work ok but not the trim. I think maybe it has the wrong type of fluid in it. The boat itself felt very solid on the water.

16. Give it to me. :D Use it in your lawn mower. At $2.50/gallon, you don't want to waste it.

17. Fastlane

I know what you mean but the only problem there is that it is 50:1 mix. I already thought about that. Then I thought about the weed eater but that would be about a 10 year supply!!!!

Anyone know of an additive that could make the gas more useable? Octane booster or something?

18. The 50:1 mixture won't hurt your lawnmower. It'll just maybe smoke a little since it's burning oil. I run it in my tractor and lawn mower all the time.

19. Fastlane

THanks, I will give it a try.

20. bronzebackyac

bronzebackyac Crick Smallie Fisherman

I would not put a bunch in there at any one time. Maybe a few gallons and then fill up the tank. dilution is the solution. :D