close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What Do I Need???????????

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by LoweBoat, Jul 26, 2007.

1. I've never really done much trolling for walleye/saugeye. What equipment would I need to set my boat up to troll?

LoweBoat

2. SwollenGoat

SwollenGoat Scourge of Hoover

Are we talking trolling inland lakes or big water like lake Erie?

3. Sorry, I should have said what type of water. Inland lakes.

LoweBoat

4. SwollenGoat

SwollenGoat Scourge of Hoover

First off boat control:

How will you power/control your boat while trolling and do you have a way to know exactly how fast you're trolling? Walleye/saugeye can be finicky about how fast/slow your presentation is. (I use a GPS and my speedometer on my fishfinder to know how fast I'm trolling.) The difference between 1.5 mph and 2.5 mph can sometimes be the difference in catching or not catching. Whether you use an electric or gas motor you need to know for sure.

Next: Having a good fishfinder to read the bottom countours and find fish. (No sense trolling where there is no fish, right?) Plus, having a good depthfinder will allow you to better follow depth/countours and keep on course. A GPS is a helpful tool to have, but it depends on how serious you want to be.

Lastly, is what kind of tackle to use and how to use them. There is so much info. on this I can only touch on a few things:

Reels and rods made for trolling are helpful - but you can get by without them. Rod holders are a must if you're running multiple rods. You may want to invest in the Trolling bible. It is a book published yearly that shows a variety of popular crankbaits and what depth they dive to depending on how much line you have out. A linecounter reel is a must if you want to be precise. Some guys just use the "feel" method and get their lures down to where they tick bottom, and maybe crank up their line a few turns and go. If you use worm harnesses, use in-line weights or bottom boucers and only let them out enough to where they are bumping bottom every few seconds. Planer boards will help you spread out and cover more water with more lures, but they can be a pain to deal with on inland lakes. Using dipsy divers and jets are best left for deeper waters like lake Erie.

Again, lot of stuff to cover on such a broad topic. I'm sure others will chime in with more info.