close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

what cell phone service would you get?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Marshall, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Marshall

Marshall Catch Photo And Release

I currently have cingular and my contract is up. I am not sure to stick with cingular or go with another service. I don't want all the fancy picture phones and all that crap . I just want a phone to call home and say I'm gonna be late the fish are biting. what do you all use and who do you recommend?

2. Verizon seems to have really good coverage around central Ohio. I have a nextell phone for work and the service sucks, always dropping calls and dead spots all over the place.

3. yup nextel sucks but it's one of the best things when you are in service, the walkie talkie rules, besides for work always being able to get me

4. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

Stay AWAY from AT&T. I hear Verizon is good, and I had good experience with Cingular and wish I had stayed with them.

5. You might want to check out Alltel, too.

Scott

6. bassn317

bassn317 Casual Fisherman

Both my kids have Verizon and love the phones, service, and especially the calls from verizon to verizon that are free. Most of their friends are on Verizon so those calls do not count against their minutes.

7. tin cans and a string always works - no dropped calls - limited area

8. Altell works well for myself in the upper third of ohio, also in all of the LP of MI

J

9. I've had Verizon for 4 years now and haven't had any problems with them. The bill is what they said it would be with no exceptions, and their coverage area is huge in SW & Central Ohio.

I came from Worldcom and I think we all know about them! :eek:

10. I worked in the wireless industry for 6 years. Verizon is by far the best carrier...at least in this neck of the woods.

11. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

I've had verizon before it was verizon and never had a problem I get a signal even in Canada's back country, well when the clouds are right :rolleyes: Great service and good signal anywhere I've been.

12. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Verizon, hands down.

13. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Ditto on Verizon. Best plans for the money (provided you place your calls from Ohio soil), and awesome coverage. The free mobile-to-mobile in network calling PAYS FOR ITSELF if you have other family/friends on Verizon. Been with them for 5 years.

14. I have AT&T now and it SUCKS!!! It seems like my coverage area is about a 20 mile radius of my house, and my phone doesn't even work inside my house(or most other buildings for that matter). I've heard LOTS of good things about Verizon, so thats why I'm switching to them next week.
    LaDo

15. The worst of the bunch is AT&T. The best is Verizon.

16. Zfish

Zfish More Horsepower Raider!!

Had several and worked for a few as a technician. Go with Verizon or Alltel depending what area you are in. They both use the same signals and share towers so you would be good with either of them. :)

17. Phil Carver

Phil Carver Team Bass Xtreme

Most companies seem to use the same towers any more . I have had a few carriers and it seems that they have all dropped calls in the same areas . :( I would not trade my nextel for the world . I use the 2 way feature alot and I dont know what I would ever do without that feature .

18. Okay fellas, currently I have Sprint and there are areas in Columbus where the signal is dismal. I went to Sprint because there was no long distance charges no matter what state you were in. I have family in NW Ohio and NE Ohio and travelled frequently to SW Ohio and occasionally out of state. Given there are no real roaming or long distance charges with Sprint is Verizon on par with that and is Verizon cheaper? I think my contract is up soon and I would be willing to change service myself. Any thoughts? Right now buget cuts are a priority at my house so I would be willing to put up with cheaper rather than better service.

19. steelmagoo

steelmagoo Enjigneer

I recommend Verizon. I have the Nokia 5185 (I think I got that right) phone and Verizon service and recommend it.

20. Mrfunnieman, Verizon has a no roaming no LD plan, but you probably won't get as many minutes for your buck. If you are traveling from big city to big city, stay with Sprint. If you find yourself in a lot of rural areas, I'd make the switch.