Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watched the weather and paid attention to the reports. Called for 1-2 on Sunday. Drove up got to the bait shop and was told, "Don't go out there!" Gotta respect those who know and went home to Milton and caught one eye that went back. Think I may look into a bigger boat next year. Seems to be a hang up more often than not with Erie. Oh well try again some other day! By the looks of some of your pics it was a good call.

Brian

Attachments

·
Banned
99 Posts
What is that? 18 footer? What horse?

I was out yesterday in my 16.5 footer/88hp... Drove past the Linda Mia and ended up in 62 foot looking for perch. Man that was a mistake. After about 1 hour of being anchored and sorta drifting, I called it a day and had to fight 3-5' 10 miles out. I couldn't go any faster than 7.5 mph to keep it safe coming in.

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
bigger is not always better. Bigger boat means more fuel. You may have to dock it and pay dockage etc. Not easy to launch and load by yourself if you trailer. Their are days that I wish I had a few more feet under me, mainly so I could fish more people though. There are days when even a 30 footer isn't comfortable to fish out of. I just try to watch the weather and the wind direction before deciding to go out or not.
There are days that I may not be able to make the 40 mile run to Wheatley for steelies or 18 to 25 miles to the sandbar but those same days are often uncomfortable even in a 22' or 24' boat. Mine's 18'.

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Same boat give er take a 1/2 foot 75 hp. Right at 16 foot. Great deep v wave boat but not big Lake Erie waves. Glad I stayed in!

Brian

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Boatnut,

Maybe some advise to a rookie is called for here. What wind direction should I look for? I thought the south or southwest wind was desirable but at the shore wind was negligable but obviously out of the harbor it was not so nice. So what "triggers" am I looking for. Hard enough trying to plan a trip around all the kids events and such as it is! LOL:)

I thought yesterday, minus the rain, was going to be great. Must not be checking the right places caused I used the links at the top of this page at 6:30 in the morning before I left.

Brian

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
Boatnut,

Maybe some advise to a rookie is called for here. What wind direction should I look for? I thought the south or southwest wind was desirable but at the shore wind was negligable but obviously out of the harbor it was not so nice. So what "triggers" am I looking for. Hard enough trying to plan a trip around all the kids events and such as it is! LOL:)

I thought yesterday, minus the rain, was going to be great. Must not be checking the right places caused I used the links at the top of this page at 6:30 in the morning before I left.

Brian
Brian,
Generally speaking if the winds are from a southerly direction and not exceeding 15 knots, then you can normally fish 3 to 5 miles offshore without too much of a problem , although on the way back in you will be going into the waves but they shouldn't be much. I usually figure about 1 foot of wave height for every 5 knots of wind speed as a general rule of thumb. If wind is out of the west and you are running straight north to fish, then you'd be "running in the trough" which isn't always too bad.
I always look at the bouy page and not just one bouy but several as they will vary. If it's the vermilion buoy then it will often give wave height but you need to double it at least. Try to analyze the previous 12 hours of wind speed/direction as that may give you some clues to how the lake will be.
In my opinion, the worst direction is East or NE. It can take 24 hrs for those big rollers to lay down or change direction some times.
hope this helps.

·
Eye Lander
488 Posts
I've got a question about waves. When the report (not the buoy readings) call for 2 feet or less, 1-3, 2-4, etc... do the numbers mean the total height from the trough to the crest, or do I have to double the number? I was out at Geneva on Sunday morning, and the forecast called for 1-3 foot waves. I was out at about 62', not sure how far out that is. The waves seemed like more than that to me. I just want to make sure I don't get caught out in more than I can deal with.

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
I've got a question about waves. When the report (not the buoy readings) call for 2 feet or less, 1-3, 2-4, etc... do the numbers mean the total height from the trough to the crest, or do I have to double the number? I was out at Geneva on Sunday morning, and the forecast called for 1-3 foot waves. I was out at about 62', not sure how far out that is. The waves seemed like more than that to me. I just want to make sure I don't get caught out in more than I can deal with.
thats a good question....I always ASSUMED they meant trough to crest in the forecasts, but I could be wrong. maybe something to email NOAA and get a good answer?

·
aka iridealot9
745 Posts
it is from the trough to the crest. the problem is if they are calling for 2-4s that is only for the 1st 5 miles from shore. if you are out farther then that you are now in whats called the open water and its usually a little rougher out there. if they are calling for 2-4s there will be a few 5-7s and you shouldnt be out there in a 16-21 boat, it is just to dangerous

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Boatnut,

i see you have no kicker. You just use your electric for trolling and as a backup or is the kicker just not in the pic. I use my bow mount for all my trolling unless I'm going for Musky then the big motor works great at idle.

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
i thought about adding a kicker but with the "european" transom or whatever they call it, it would be difficult. I have a 4 stroke main motor and use that with socks if I need to go over say 1.6. The bow mount serves me well in most cases , like pulling harnesses. I use the "stay n charge" that charges the trolling batteries off my main motor and it works well. rarely have to plug in on-board charger.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sounds about the same as what I do but with a bit older rig. I am going to get up there and figure out them walleye soon. I live an hour away from the best walley fishery in the world and can't seem to time my trips out right. LOL! I do great on Berlin, Milton, ect. Just need to put a decent trip together for Erie but always seems to have one of the variables off...usually the weather...course it is NE Ohio.

Thanks Brian

1 - 12 of 12 Posts