What bow for my sons Christmas?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by ginamaria, Dec 11, 2008.

1. My 21 y/o son mentioned that he will be taking archery at college. He is already a gun hunter but never bow hunted. What would be a good starter bow in the middle price range? What are the advantages of a traditional long/recurve bow vs. compound bow?
    Thanks

2. If he is serious about getting into it I would buy something halfway decent (don't buy a pcakage deal). Best bet is to take him to an archery shop where he can shoot various bows to see what he likes. Preferrably find a shop that carries various manufacturers so he can try many different models if possible. Everyone has a different opinion on brands. Many people like the Mathews line but they can be pricey. There are alot of nice bows to choose from out there. One thing for sure is this is the right time of the year to buy a new bow before the new models are out if they are not already. Good luck.

3. bgpark1

bgpark1 Catching and Releasing

I have a Hoyt Rebel XL I would be willing to part with and include everything I have for it... $150. Let me know.

4. Don't buy any bow if you don't know it will fit your son properly. You could be throwing your money away.

5. Fishpro

Fishpro Northcoast Madman

Yep, I agree. Get him to a bowshop that carries a few different manufactuers(BowTech ;) , Hoyt, Martin, Mathews just to name a few) and make sure he gets measured properly before you drop any cash. You can save some serious money right now because dealers will want to dump thier '08 stock. Good luck.:)

6. Check out the new Hoyt power hawk, Nice bow for the money, lifetime warrenty too.

7. GPtimes2

GPtimes2 Oh Deer

Longbows would be the longest (tallest) and probably slowest of the three. Recurve would shoot a little faster than the longbow. The shot is usualy fast. Can't hold the drawl for very long. Not to good for treestands because you have to bend at the waist to shoot downward, and they tend to hit something (your leg, tree, or treestand).
    Compounds are generly a lot shorter, and ideal for treestands. They have a lot faster speed and you can hold them at drawl longer due to letoff.:)

8. make sure that the weight and draw length is perfect or he will have trouble shooting it

9. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

These guys are giving you good advice.

As nice as it would be to surprise your son with a new bow it is very difficult if not impossible to correctly fit a bow for a shooter without having the shooter present. It would be like trying to buy a pair of pants for someone you have never seen, probably won't fit.

The longbow and the recurve are similar in how you shoot them. These take to most time and effort to become even somewhat proficient with them. There are no wheels, cams, cables, sights, special rests and the shooter is drawing and holding full poundage on both. These are very slow as compared to a compound bow. These are very enjoyable to shoot, but require a BUNCH of practice and dedication to be able to shoot even modestly well. Many become quickly discouraged and put them in the basement somewhere to never be seen again.

A compound bow is just what the name implies. It utilizes cams, wheels, cables, special arrow rests, release aids, bunches of arrow choices, sights, kisser buttons, draw stops, peep sights, etc, etc, etc, to create a fairly easy to shoot fast and accurate bow. The percentage of let off is a very user friendly benefit. Compound bows will have a let off rated in percentages, 50%, 65%, 75%, 80%, whatever. This means that if the bow is set at 60 lbs with a 75% let off the shooter is only holding back at full draw, 15lbs.

Starting out he does not need all of the bells and whistles. A compound bow, from any of the manufacturers mentioned previously, with a rest, a sight, a release, some properly sized arrows, and properly setup by someone who knows how to do this will start your son way down the right path of enjoying archery.

With your personal lack of experience with bows it would just not be likely that you could figure out what he needs without him being along to be fitted to the bow. All compounds have some draw length adjust-ability, but it is not infinite, you need a starting point. If he is like the vast majority of bowhunters he will be somewhere between a 28" -31" draw length. That 2-3" range may not sound like much but it is critical that he shoot his proper draw length for optimum performance and enjoyment

If he does end up getting a bow and is at some point serious about bowhunting please finds a local bowhunting club, have him join and it will shorten the learning curve tremendously. It is a very inexpensinve learning experience.

Sorry we couldn't help more.

Good luck

10. Your basic newer compound bows will all preform well and depending on your sons ability to hold still and shoot will put deer down. He won't be required to shoot everyday for 2 years straight to be able to shoot a pie plate at 20 yds.... (being sarcastic) where as with the longbows he will be forced to practice and practice some more....
    If he's just starting out and depending on his personality he would probably like to see some quick progress in shooting (that's what today's compounds do)
    Good luck.

11. I will echo what many others have already said. Do not go out and buy the bow for him even though it would be great to wrap it up and give it to him. Instead give him a certificate or something similar to a local archery shop and make the trip with him to get set up. Archery is so much more shooter specific than any gun setup so buying something and sticking it in someone's hand has very little chance of exactly matching what he needs.

12. a guy my uncle worked with sold me a hoyt reble xl at the begining of the summer for 75bucks for everything it was used and needed a set of arrows and a sight because he shot alu. arrows and they were all bent i got a set of carbon arrows and i love it this was the first bow id ever shot and it took some getting used to but it was well worth the time and investment