close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What baitcasting outfits?

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by moe1078, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Well i am wanting to get a couple baitcasters for bass fishing this year. I kind of want these for throwing crankbaits, spinnerbaits and flipping and pitching. I know there isnt 1 rod or real you can get for all around bass fishing but what would you guys think of 2 shimano curados on 7 foot MH Bass pro rods?

2. Moe, sounds good except I'd get a medium rod and the other rod a medium heavy. The curados are great reels, you'll definately like them.

3. ok. What would you throw on the medium and what would you throw on the medium heavy?

4. crankbaits on the medium. I'd also use the medium for smallmouth fishing in open water. You could use spinnerbaits with this rod too.

Medium Heavy 7' could server as a good flipping stick for plastics, jigs, worms. It could also be used as a carolina rig rod for offshore fishing...

5. Thanks alot for your help. just 1 more question. Do you think #14 fireline would be a good choice and these rods and reels?

6. I don't use Fireline so I can't help you there.

Just to get you going I would buy 10lb Pline CXX Moss Green Color for the rod you plan on using for crankbaiting. I love this line.

For the medium heavy rod that you will be flipping with I'd buy BigGame 15lb Test.

7. Thanks again for all your help.

8. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

TritonBill - Have you tried PLine's high-vis flippin' and pitchin' line?

Moe - If you're close to the BPS in Cincinatti, they have Quantum Accurist PT's (last year's model) for 69.95 (normally 100). I like them and use them exclusively for baitcasting.

TritonBill is right on about the PLine suggestion. Some times I'll go to 12lb test for the cranking if there is a lot of junk in the water (rocks and wood).

9. I am just not a person who like to get in depth. So i am basically just looking for a good line that will work if i am cranking, throwing worms and spinnerbaits. Now if i go to lake erie i always use 8lb low visibility line. but for fishing inland lakes I am just looking for a good all around line.

10. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

then p-line wold be a great choice.

11. Hey buddy... nope I haven't tried that line yet but maybe I'll buy a spool and test it out!

I have tried quite a few lines and for good all around lines I always end up back with BigGame for heavy line applications and PLine for 8-12lb test applications.

12. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

I fish accurists too, and LOVE them. Curado's are great, but for the money you can't beat those accurists.

Anyone ever throw a Chronarch? Now THAT's a smooth caster ;)

13. My smoothest casting reel that I own is a Shimano Scorpion, it's a japanese reel. It's a great little reel for fishing lightweight baits.

14. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

Hey Shakes, did you see my earlier post? BPS has the old model accurist PT's on clearance for 69.95. I bought 2 on the spot. The new Accurists are nicer, but I can't justify another $20 a piece right now.

My wife made me buy those reels. Put a gun to my head... Twisted my arm clear off...

15. I also have a few curados and they are excellant