close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What are you catching ?

Discussion in 'Fish on the Fly' started by garhtr, May 4, 2016.

1. IMG_20170831_195314095.jpg Last fish before " Harvey"
    Hopefully we won't get to much rain.
    Good luck and Good Fishing

flyman01, TheCream and ejsell like this.
  2. ejsell

ejsell

Cats on the fly are a blast
    Its been a while since I've gotten one.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

garhtr likes this.

3. IMG_20170903_104654363.jpg Had two very nice smallie trips over the long W/E . I fished poppers exclusively and the bite was great.
    I stayed on smaller water and the fish were not huge but provided steady action.
    IMG_20170903_123936045.jpg
    Oddly I actually saw very few carp but I was surprised to tempt 4 different fish to actually take the popper. I was able to land two, another tried to take but missed and I was over anxious on the last fish and as he slurped at the fly I reacted to quickly and pulled it away from him.
    I've caught carp on poppers before but only during some type of major hatch, mainly cicadas or around an area with a tremendous amount of grasshoppers but I saw few insects on the water during my trips and found their willingness to come to the top very strange but welcome :D
    IMG_20170904_095002790.jpg
    IMG_20170904_142044.jpg
    Good luck and Good Fishing !

Dolomieu, ttipul, HappySnag and 2 others like this.
  4. among the trout I was catching this weekend, this little war paint shiner eagerly tried to slurp down the caddis dry pattern I was using. When setting the hook at the moment he took it (thinking trout) the fly came back with him and hit me in the chest!

photo (5).JPG

riverKing, Dolomieu, acklac7 and 3 others like this.
  5. I send a couple of small sunfish flying over the weekend, none struck me :D but I always feel sorry for those little guys when they come zipping out of the water.

flyman01 and ejsell like this.
  6. ejsell

ejsell

I did that with a smallie that was as big as the clouser he tried to eat. Whipped him just past my ear. He swam away unfazed so hopefully he survived.

flyman01 likes this.
  7. I explored a new to me small stream on Saturday. Caught a lot of fish, had fun. Full write up is on my blog linked in the signature.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. ejsell

ejsell

Got out for a couple hours today. Caught 4 smallies and 3 rock bass. Lost a tank though. They were hitting hard and doing acrobatics.[​IMG]

Dolomieu, garhtr and TheCream like this.
  9. Nice, gotta love fall ! I noticed the fish were jumping more also, wasn't sure if it was the cooler temps or because I was fishing topwater, probably a little of both.
    Good luck and Good Fishing.

ejsell likes this.
  10. Had probably my most fun outing of the year on Friday morning. It wasn't the highest numbers of the year, and I didn't catch any giants, but it was just pure fun. Everything was working. Smallies had the feed bags on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

OnTheFly and ejsell like this.
  11. Yesterday's lunch time excursion produced one decent crappie.

[​IMG]

Dolomieu, bassclef, ejsell and 2 others like this.
  12. IMG_20170923_102015872_HDR.jpg IMG_20170923_114507369.jpg
    Most of the carp have left the small creeks I fish but the few I found were willing to take a crawfish pattern, Unfortunately I doubt I will catch many more this season.

Saugeye Tom, Dolomieu and ejsell like this.
  13. The crappie bite was hot at lunch today. It's not often I hit double digits in a 50 minute outing in this kind of heat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also picked up one bass.

[​IMG]

ejsell, Dolomieu and garhtr like this.
  14. Dolomieu

Dolomieu Trifly

Recent tenkara
    trouting[​IMG]5" stocker?
    [​IMG][​IMG]19" brown on zebra midge
    [​IMG][​IMG]

15. IMG_20170929_080653.jpg IMG_20170929_080742.jpg IMG_20170929_080627.jpg
    Dolomieu got me started on the topwater bite ---- and Now I can't stop.
    (The cooler temps have me thinking hybrids/Wbass soon but we need some precipitation in my area)

Dolomieu, ejsell and TheCream like this.
  16. Dolomieu

Dolomieu Trifly

Topwater has slowed for me, but a few good ones at the river a couple days ago.[​IMG]47.jpg[/IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

TheCream, ejsell and garhtr like this.
  17. I don't catch many sauger on the fly. I was testing a new small streamer at lunch. The second photo I take as a good sign. Stamp of approval: trying to straight up swallow it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dolomieu and garhtr like this.
  18. Sauger sure are a beautiful fish, looks like great camo and they're tasty.
    I don't get to many on the fly either but I do always get excited when I hook one.
    Mind sharing a pic of that streamer soon.