close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

what are those gonna be?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by LiquidTension, Oct 4, 2004.

1. LiquidTension

LiquidTension mouse potato

curious.....you know those egg sack thingys on the ends of submerged tree limbs (about the size of a softball)... superslimey and looks to be full of eggs. what are those eggs gonna turn into?
    it seems that they are always there as well... do they ever hatch ... lol
    just wondering

2. several people from columbus-mansfield-cleveland-and pittsburgh areas have been reporting mysterious objects in the sky the past few days. also numerous sightings of squadrons (not 4 or 5 planes, but many groups) of fighter jets scrambling toward the said areas lately. maybe they are here for the hatch.

your thread is now dead. :D

3. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

i allways wanted to know what they were too anyone have an idea?????

4. Count me in the list of those that wondered what they are too. Only place I remember ever really seeing them with any frequency is at West Branch.

Barry

5. seen crap loads of 'em at West Branch....

pushed off a tree w/ my paddle while crappie fishing, touched a couple w/ my ore....didn't move, dent or anything....

steely123

6. I was watching Shaw Grigsby's show earlier this year when he ran across some of those masses. They look like a mass of frog eggs but they are not eggs. He was fishing with the lake manager/fisheries biologist who described them as some simple organism which lived in the water.

Don't hold me too it but I believe they are an indicator of good water quality. I can't remember the name but it sounded something like 'Brachyzoid' or 'Brachyzoa-something-or-other'. Shaw's website has a forum, maybe someone could post the question on there and find out exactly what they are.

7. and what are those green balls that come from certin trees

8. Osage orange. Growing up, we referred to them as monkey balls.

Osage Orange (Maclura pomifera)

A deciduous tree from the Mulberry Family (Moraceae)

Osage Orange, a tree introduced into Ohio during the 1800's, is commonly seen in rural areas where it frequents fields and fencerows. Its usage as a large hedge tree in a row planting and the softball-sized fruits of female trees give it the alternative common name of Hedge Apple. The Osage Indians of the southern Great Plains (where it was introduced from) and the resemblance of its fruits to lime-colored oranges give it the more common name of Osage Orange. Commercially, its very strong wood is used to make the best bows for archery. When its wood is used as fenceposts or laid-down timbers, it takes decades to completely rot. Most parts of the tree exude a sticky white sap (containing latex) when wounded or cut.

A native of portions of Arkansas, Texas, and Oklahoma, Osage Orange loves the prolonged hot and dry conditions of summer, and thrives in poor soils. Specimens found in the open are upright and rapidly growing in youth, becoming arching and spreading with age, reaching 40 feet in height and 40 feet in width with a dense crown of interlacing, thorny branches. A distinctive growth habit is the repeatedly arching branches that hang down at the ends, but periodically send up vertical shoots. As a member of the Mulberry Family, it is related to the Mulberries and Figs.

9. thank you row v. wade

i always wondered what they were

10. Stampede

Stampede The Fish Feeder

If there a sign of good water quality.why do i see them in eastfork? :eek:

11. Caesar's Creek.... :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

12. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

:D The "hatch" is spreading................................. :D .....................soon to your neighborhood !!.......................:D HOOMMWHOAAAHH !! :D

13. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Ken hit it right on the head if he's talking about what I think he is. Bryozoans are what they actually are, and if I remember corectly they are a type of freshwater sponge. They arn't single celled however, they are very very small animal that live in colonys that produce a larger structure. I can remember in college having bryozoan fights. Talk about a slimy mess :D

14. I herd hedge apples keep spiders away . ;)

15. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

The osage oranges mentioned earlier are knicknamed "spider fruit". They sell very well at Hartville flea market, as they are used to repel spiders. Put a couple in your basement in various corners, and your spider population will be decimated. When they rot, they don't particularly smell that bad. try it next time you see one! I know a farmer in North Benton that has a hedge row that lets me pick them every year. I give them to my mom to sell at Hartville. She gets a buck apeice or 3 for 2 bucks for them.

16. LiquidTension

LiquidTension mouse potato

hey Andro maybe you should keep a osage orange in your tackle bag/box/boat or sweatshirt while your fishing... keeps those biters away.... :D (relating to what kinda spider bit me thread) ;)

Bryozoans huh... interesting. always thought they were egg sacks of ?????
    yup they are slimey... my spinnerbait ran thru one of these earlier this year... almost worse than picking out a backlash yuk :D thanks for info :thumbsup smiley:

17. steelmagoo

steelmagoo Enjigneer