close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What are these

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Walter Adkins, Sep 6, 2005.

1. I have these growing on two maple trees in my yard. I was wondering what they are. [​IMG]
    The Squirrels love them.

[img]http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/photopost/data/500/1397tree_1-med.jpg

2. Smallie Gene

Smallie Gene Banned

They are lilly pads. You must have some tree frogs around??

3. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

they are a fungi, and I think they are called elephant ears.

4. Only elephants ears I know of (other than the real elephants ear) is a plant that grows in the woods. It is short and has BIG leaves.

5. I agree with rod&rell about the elephant ears. Then again why not call these elephant ears, they look like one. Can you eat these? I don't plan to, I don't want to be one of my own customers. I eat what I know or see another person eat and not get sick :D

6. steelmagoo

steelmagoo Enjigneer

It is some kind of shelf fungus. Probably means the tree has some significant rot.

7. bracket fungus
    n.

Any of various fungi that form shelflike growths on tree trunks and wood structures. Also called shelf fungus.

8. Elamenohpee

Elamenohpee Banned

walleye60 is correct. another name for it is dryads saddle. you can eat the outer edge (about 1 inch) when they are young, but remember...just because it's edible, does'nt mean it tastes good :eek: :eek: :)
    also remember to be sure of what kind of mushroom you're eating BEFORE you eat it.

9. it's barnacles...clearly barnacles

10. One thing I've heard about eatables....if it grows on a tree, let it be. Other words don't eat it.