Ohio Game Fishing banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
assassin
311 Posts
Me 1st yr. at Geneva got a late start that yr and didn't get to marina until 3rd. wk of May. Staged boat got inspected by DNR for safety equip and waited in line for my turn to launch-3 ramps all busy (Sat.weekend) stacked like 4 deep.My turn,sil backed her in till I told him to stop lowered od and fired it up hit reverse and nothing.FORGOT had brand new ratctet tiedowns on stern still attached to trlr.Park ranger now giving me the evil eye cause there's 3 more in my lane waiting to launch.Grabbed a filet knife and cut straps and motored to dock got new ones on the way home-never happened again

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
It was late in season backed boat in at hot waters lorain not coming off the trailer went deep and deeper did not come off,I am thinking I left straps on nothing pulled out straps were off but boat was not floating off trailer, I pulled out again check and straps were off figured maybe boat needs more depth left there drove to Huron where I have launched hundreds of times same thing well water was s little cleaner I could see what issue was because I fished all week in cold the boat bunks were carpeted and frozen to the boat you push down on boat the trailer would come up with the boat did not come off let it soak for a little while but at that point it was late and I figured it was a sign that I did not need to find LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
650 Posts
Three actually. Dad bought our first boat in the 80’s. MFG with a cuddy cabin. Big and heavy. Trying to back it in the driveway tires kept digging into the chip and seal road. The boat didnt want to budge. Also for a twp road it seemed busier than ever. Neighbors came out with all kinds of suggestions. Called the previous owner and we needed to place a pin thru a hole in the trailer to disengage the surge brakes. Buddy backed his dads boat on rollers down the ramp with no strap or chain. Slid off and crunched the outdrive on the ramp. It wouldnt lower until we practically stood on it. We Fished anyways and the outdrive raised up no problem. Two years ago i’m pulling our docked 26ftr out of Vermilion PA ramp. It was tight, they had 2/3 big bags of sediment(?) sitting there and I couldnt pull forward enough to straighten the trailer. It was constant inching fwd/backwards. I couldnt see my side of the trailer and my brother was supervising. Well i heard and felt something. The trailer light hit the dock and broke. My brother said he thought I saw it???? If I saw it I certainly wouldn’t have chosen to hit it!! Boats eh??

·
Registered
986 Posts
Years ago My buddy and I were fishing tourneys. One night before a tourney we got a little hammered. Next morning after getting inspected and waiting in line to launch, I was in boat ready for launch and he was in truck. Well then it was our turn and vehicle was running and I was waiting, I Called out a couple times to no response. I got out went up to see what was going on as we were really holding things up.
He had fell asleep. 🥴😁 lol
A lesson learned.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
A good buddy that I served with and I were at cj when we decided to head back in. In my 14’ Grumman At full throttle we couldn’t figure why we weren’t getting up to speed. We stopped looked the engine over and everything was fine. Started back up still couldn’t get to speed. When we got in line to get out my buddy says I figured out why we weren’t going anywhere. Then he proceeded to pull up the anchor. 🤦🏻‍♂️🤣
if ya ever find an anchor there over by the marina outside wall it belongs to my buddy who told me "deploy anchor" (with a 20ft line on it not tied down). (it's 22 feet in that spot, just sayin not my fault)!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Once again, our first year of boat ownership. Atwood, east marina. I can't say I like that ramp at all but regardless. I back the trailer in to load out. The wife jumps out the back of the truck and shimmies down the tongue to grab the boat and guide it on. My son who was on the dock holding the rope pulled a little too hard and knocked her right in the drink. Everyone on the patio having dinner got a good laugh.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
A good buddy that I served with and I were at cj when we decided to head back in. In my 14’ Grumman At full throttle we couldn’t figure why we weren’t getting up to speed. We stopped looked the engine over and everything was fine. Started back up still couldn’t get to speed. When we got in line to get out my buddy says I figured out why we weren’t going anywhere. Then he proceeded to pull up the anchor. 🤦🏻‍♂️🤣
I could see it now bet you guys looked to make sure no one was watching and put the anchor away before someone seen :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Reactions: Smitty82

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Once again, our first year of boat ownership. Atwood, east marina. I can't say I like that ramp at all but regardless. I back the trailer in to load out. The wife jumps out the back of the truck and shimmies down the tongue to grab the boat and guide it on. My son who was on the dock holding the rope pulled a little too hard and knocked her right in the drink. Everyone on the patio having dinner got a good laugh.
ROTFLMAO missed that one I loved to sit on the Patio and watch people on the ramp always had a good laugh

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
watched as a poor guy completely burned up his clutch pulling his boat out of the Eastwood Lake Park ramp, good news is he probably learned how to replace a clutch that year (teens used to do that sort of thing).
ouch hard lesson there

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I wasn’t going to bring this up, but here it goes. I had a boat that I needed to switch trailers , so I ask my wife if she could help me and she said she would. We got to the ramp and I told her to get in the boat and take it out in the lake and I will switch trailers at home, it would take me about 45 minutes round trip. I have know idea why I had my phone on vibrate, to much time has went by to remember that. Well I forgot to put the plug in and when I did notice my phone light up from her call I was about 20 minutes into trip. She had tried to call me about 10 times or so. She said the boat was sinking so I told to turn the bulge pump on and head it to the ramp. She said she couldn’t get the bulge pump to work so I told to get it to the ramp. After getting it to the ramp a guy at the ramp jumped in and put the plug in for her, I soon arrived and got the bulge pump on and drained the boat. Boy I got a ear full for not having my phone ringer on . The two good things that came from this situation is when we go fishing she always ask if the plugs in or checks it for herself. The second good thing is we are still happily married.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
some people might think this was funny or odd back when Fewtown Rd was open my buddy and I would take two trucks I would tow the boat and launch it we would fish and when done I would back my truck up hook the boat up and he would use his 4x4 truck with winch and pull me up that unimproved launch never had a problem anywhere else but there even the days as a kid we had a 18 ft Penn Yan and towed it with a international scout we had to use 4 wheel drive to make it up that hill

·
Registered
336 Posts
some people might think this was funny or odd back when Fewtown Rd was open my buddy and I would take two trucks I would tow the boat and launch it we would fish and when done I would back my truck up hook the boat up and he would use his 4x4 truck with winch and pull me up that unimproved launch never had a problem anywhere else but there even the days as a kid we had a 18 ft Penn Yan and towed it with a international scout we had to use 4 wheel drive to make it up that hill
A scout is on my list to own someday. Those things are beasts!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Several years back as I was loading my boat on the trailer on the opposite side of the concrete divider at the ramp was a rather expensive pleasure boat. The rather large red headed gentleman had backed the trailer Down the ramp towards the awaiting floating boat. As he stops, he yells for her to proceed in a loud somewhat gruff sounding tone. Now she is at a somewhat crooked angle behind the trailer and suddenly floors the motor, the bow of the boat completely jumps the trailer and proceeds to try to climb up the concrete ramp with the propeller grinding on the trailer and or concrete, water flying, motor roaring wide open. He rips out that truck, flys over the bow, now I’m thinking he is going to go into one, instead he grabs her and tightly hugs her and tells her it’s fine it will be ok. Took several of us a while to get the mess corrected during which time he never once got the least bit upset and continued to comfort his female partner. I will never forget his calm demeanor.
Now that’s how we all should act. Things get hectic at the boat ramp but it doesn’t pay to get over excited it just make things worse.

·
Registered
212 Posts
We were at Berlin this past year when we heard a clap of thunder so we pulled everything in. By the time we made it to the RR bridge it was pouring. By the time we made it to the ramp, we launched at the campground which was congested, it was hailing and lightning and raining so hard and the wind was blowing hard, limbs were coming down. I had to wait for my buddy to get the trailer (he stinks at backing) needless to say I was a touch frustrated and spooked. We got it loaded and the bilge pump sprayed for about 5 minutes straight. I harassed him about his backing and had a good nervous chuckle about that mess. It’s funny now but wasn’t then.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I been reading this thread and trying to think of funny things, but all I keep coming back to is all the stupid irritating things people do. I'm not talking about inexperienced people trying to put in and take out or silly brain farts. I'm talking the arse hole, I'm going to do it and you can pound sand things. Like one day I oulled in and two guys were fishing dead lines off the ramp dock. I mean a catfish line on bottom settingg static right in the boat lane. I think he'll pull it in, but nope. I back the boat down and the line is 2 feet off my transome. I finally have to ask him to reel it in and with amumble he does. As I'm pulling out ker-plunk a weighted bait right off my transome. I gritted my teeth and went on out to fish. Then there's always the party boat that decides to unload all the days gear right on the ramp into the adjoining lane. Skis, coolers, life jackets, tubes and more for 30 minutes.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts