Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother and friend were getting ready launch his boat .The friend unhooked his boat before he back down a steep ramp, my brother had no clue it was unhooked and the boat was on a roller trailer. My brother said he noticed the boat coming off the trailer before he made it to the water. At that point he stepped on the gas to get to the water before the boat hit the pavement. He said he made it to the water but the boat took on a lot water over the transom, and worse part of it was there were plenty of witnesses. Paint creek lake ramp at dam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
515 Posts
Me trying to back any boat in the water or into my driveway. I bought a Sylvan Super Snapper 14'. My first boat at 45 years old. Oh my god, how embarrassing. My wife used to own a 26' Wellcraft and would sit our deck and drink beer and laugh until she cried watching me try and back it into the driveway

·
Registered
336 Posts
Us, the first time we launched our first boat. It's a 64' StarCraft. Figured we'd hit Mogadore for our first time. The trolling motor was mounted up front and we couldn't get it to get us moving. We were drifting helplessly out, so the wife sat beside me and we traded our one paddle back and forth trying make some sort of headway. Started noticing that everyone else had their motors mounted on the back so I moved ours to the back and away we went. By the way, I had a different battery in the back for the 25 horse motor. The front battery was junk. I felt like a real schmuck.

·
Harry
1,024 Posts
Mid or late 80’s I was in boat and approaching a dock at CC lake. A frantic man standing on the dock said “ please , please don’t pull your boat in here, My car is under there,” as he pointed in the water. His runabout was floating and tied to the dock, 18-19 footer. No car to be seen. The guy went on to say, I drove all the way over here from Dayton and didn’t have a bit of problem, but when I backed that boat in, it pulled my Gremlin right in with it!
Some of those little Gremlins had 304 v8 engines, so it probably did pull the boat just fine, just not big enough to stop it.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
We were at the lake on a busy holiday weekend at the campground ramp. There was a line to get to the courtesy dock to even get to our trailer. A friend from the campground was down there watching the festivities, sitting on his bike. He sees us waiting and says, "give me your keys, and I'll get in line for you." My wife scoops up the keys and yells CATCH! You guessed it.... she threw like a girl! It was like slow motion watching every key we owned going end over end, straight up in the air. There was NO WAY they were going to make it to shore. Like I said, there was a crowd... and the keys landed right in the middle of another boat! Whewwww! Truck, camper, trailer lock keys so close to being at the bottom of the lake! The Good Lord was watching over us!

·
Registered
782 Posts
We were at the lake on a busy holiday weekend at the campground ramp. There was a line to get to the courtesy dock to even get to our trailer. A friend from the campground was down there watching the festivities, sitting on his bike. He sees us waiting and says, "give me your keys, and I'll get in line for you." My wife scoops up the keys and yells CATCH! You guessed it.... she threw like a girl! It was like slow motion watching every key we owned going end over end, straight up in the air. There was NO WAY they were going to make it to shore. Like I said, there was a crowd... and the keys landed right in the middle of another boat! Whewwww! Truck, camper, trailer lock keys so close to being at the bottom of the lake! The Good Lord was watching over us!
Get the vibe out!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Mine was also a crowded day, you could tell this guy waiting in line to get his boat out was very impatient, giving people faces, gas pumping as he was pulling forward, finally loads his boat and pulled out extremely fast to hear his motor dragging up to ramp, never lifted his motor. Funny stuff

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Good thing the wife doesn't see all these posts since I thought of another one that involved her. We are headed back to the ramp and see a boat with a distress flag out and a couple of guys waving at us. We head over to them to see how we can help. They had run out of gas and needed a tow. No problem, we throw them a line and tow them back to the ramp. We idle up and stop at the end of the walkway. I tell my wife to step off. I'll pull away and she can pull them over to the ramp. As she starts to pull, she steps backwards and goes off the other side into the water. Of course it was pretty deep at the end of the walkway and she went clear out of sight! It seemed like she was was down there so long that I was about to jump in after her and she comes thrashing back up. I look at the guys in the boat and could tell they were about to start laughing. I knew better than to laugh and quickly tell them that it wouldn't be good for any of us to laugh until at least tomorrow! Got her back in the boat, got them to the ramp and no one said a word except them thanking us! Lessons learned all around!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Years ago a couple was trying to load a sizable sail boat at Atwood. The wife was in the vehicle and husband trying to line it up on the trailer. After it was lineup and fastened he told her to GO. She hit the gas, tires smoking and the trailer came off the hitch, NO SAFETY CHAIN. The boat went back in the water with the trailer hanging off the front in 15' of water. Very difficult to keep from laughing.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Several years back as I was loading my boat on the trailer on the opposite side of the concrete divider at the ramp was a rather expensive pleasure boat. The rather large red headed gentleman had backed the trailer Down the ramp towards the awaiting floating boat. As he stops, he yells for her to proceed in a loud somewhat gruff sounding tone. Now she is at a somewhat crooked angle behind the trailer and suddenly floors the motor, the bow of the boat completely jumps the trailer and proceeds to try to climb up the concrete ramp with the propeller grinding on the trailer and or concrete, water flying, motor roaring wide open. He rips out that truck, flys over the bow, now I’m thinking he is going to go into one, instead he grabs her and tightly hugs her and tells her it’s fine it will be ok. Took several of us a while to get the mess corrected during which time he never once got the least bit upset and continued to comfort his female partner. I will never forget his calm demeanor.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Watched a guy a long lake launch his boat and it started drifting away. Instead of yelling for us to grab his boat for him he superman dives and makes it just far enough to touch the bow of the boat. I don't know that I ever laughed so damn hard in my life.

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Watched a fellow fisherman back his boat down the ramp. His truck kicked in gear and was moving backwards. An attempt was made to open the door and hit the brakes! Unfortunately the door could not be opened due to the interference of the dock. We watched the bubble line as the truck and trailer descended down the ramp.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Years ago a couple was trying to load a sizable sail boat at Atwood. The wife was in the vehicle and husband trying to line it up on the trailer. After it was lineup and fastened he told her to GO. She hit the gas, tires smoking and the trailer came off the hitch, NO SAFETY CHAIN. The boat went back in the water with the trailer hanging off the front in 15' of water. Very difficult to keep from laughing.
OMG too funny I use to sit on the deck at the Marina and watch all the fun you would be shocked to see all the mishaps

Reactions: Smitty82

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
My dad couldn't back his boat when he was alive. He jackknifed his lone star boat and put a hole in it lol. Had me at 13 try to back his boat at Portage Lakes and I had no problems so it became my job from that day on lol...Miss fishing with him.... Rich
My Dad was good at backing the boat in I used to jump in the boat drive around the lake and pick him up after he parked the truck and same when we loaded it never took over a few minutes either way to load or unload and I miss him dearly all we can do now my friend is cherish the memories and remember they are always in our hearts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
there's always the "boat wouldn't come off the trailer because the tie downs are still attached" that everyone has seen, unfortunately I did my best to pull "that guys" boat off with a rope until thinking surely he took off the tie downs, nope, nadda, still there and worked pretty wello_O

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have seen many plugs not in with the next minute yelling we are sinking or trying to plug the hole. Nice calm people doing a good job and the next second all hell breaks loose and they are a wreck.
Owner of a bait shop back in the 80's launches his searay, parks truck, boat will not start. Takes battery out of truck and runs it down, boat will not start, and his comment is 'I don't understand it worked fine when I put in away last fall". never even uncovered or tested, until he got to ramp, still had winter cover on it. Guy jumped his truck so he could load the boat and go home.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I had a friend that went duck hunting at a local lake and got his boat off the trailer and tied up at the dock. He had his gun ,decoys and other gear loaded in the boat and drove his truck to park it. When returning to his boat it had came untied and was drifting across the lake. He said they didn’t have cell phones back then. Said it drifted to the other side of lake and he drove around the lake and hiked in to retrieve it.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I remember one time my Son in law put his boat in at a primitive ramp while we were getting our gear ready to load in the boat I turned to him and said put a anchor down so the boat won't float off he said nah its up on shore pretty good my step son just shook his head a couple minutes later I said hey Jeff is that your boat out there ? here it floated out about 80 yards good thing he could swim LOL

·
Me fail english? That's unpossible.
2,157 Posts
A good buddy that I served with and I were at cj when we decided to head back in. In my 14’ Grumman At full throttle we couldn’t figure why we weren’t getting up to speed. We stopped looked the engine over and everything was fine. Started back up still couldn’t get to speed. When we got in line to get out my buddy says I figured out why we weren’t going anywhere. Then he proceeded to pull up the anchor. 🤦🏻‍♂️🤣

1 - 20 of 44 Posts