Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my target fish is crappie this year...now im a beginner in trying to select a certain species of fish to go after. but of course there are different methods used in catching different fish. now i keep reading that the artificial baits are more consistent than the minnows or smaller live baits? i dont have a particular preference, as i have been known to change my mind every 10 mins...lol but i know that if i really wanna be good with crappie, i need to know the pros and cons to each.

FISH TILL YOURE DEAD!!!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Jaydye,

I personally like to use "stubby butts" form Bass Pro. They are 1 1/2" long and come in a few different colors. I really like the limetruse color, but have had much success this year using the albino shad color. I use a 1/32 ounce jighead under an ice float (toothpick float). Any other info feel free to PM me.

Harrison08

Some crappie caught on them

·
Enjigneer
1,369 Posts
Aggressive spring crappies can be caught with just a light colored (white or chartreuse) 1/8 or 1/16 oz maribou jig. I like maribou jigs with chinelle wrapped on the shank. They can be worked slow or still under a float, cast and retrieved, or worked vertically in brush. Tipping with maggots, waxies, or even a minnow is optional, but adding meat sometimes brings in pesky bluegills. Plain minnows work too, but you have to lug a minnow bucket around.

In the summer, a minnow on a wire hook might be most productive, especially on suspended open water fish.

·
Master of Nothing
936 Posts
I especially like to use a small tube with an 1/8 ounce jig head. You pretty much just cast into an area you think has fish and slowly retrieve it. I like to use the ones with a red body with white tails or red body with chartruese tails. Yellow with white tails works pretty good too. You will also catch bluegills using this bait too but the ones you catch will be good keeper sizes. I use them by themselves and no waxworms or maggots.

Another good artificial bait to use is a 1/8 ounce in-line spinner bait. I like to use the Blue Foxx or the Rooster Tails in white or yellow.

·
Registered
508 Posts
For clear water, I love a 2" clear speckled Fin-S (soft plastic minnow) on a 1/32 oz. jighead. It also catches a lot of incidental bass and bull bluegills (and pike when I was in MN).

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've only been fishing heavily for a little under a year now and have just started targeting crappie this year as well. My luck has been with 1/16 oz Road Runner Turbo Tail. The best color has seemed to be the chartreuse/red/chartreuse. I've got several 13-14" 1.5 pounders. You will catch very few bluegill with these, but if they are aggressive, then they will hit it. Also, treating the jig as a spinnerbait, you will also get some bass as well. No need to tip it with minnow, wax, etc. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Just pulling your chain! lol I beleive there about to drop the eggs around home here! Starting to get closer to the shores. Takin the oldest out Saturday morning and let her loose with minnows, off the boat. Theres a fishing derby for kids. Last year she had the lead until the last minute, someone had abit more fish than her. She had a blast though.

·
Registered
226 Posts
1.5" tube jigs, chart/white are hard to beat. Fishing them diff ways to find out HOW they crappie want them is as important as the color, most of the time MORE important.

Good luck
Wess

1 - 11 of 11 Posts