Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While fishing today at Lost Creek Reservoir in Lima, I ran across an animal that resembled a ferret. Black in color with a long tail. He ran close to me, swam out and around me, and came back on shore and went on his way.

Does this sound like an otter? I did not know there were otters around this area, but I think this is what it was. Is this a common animal for this area?

Thanks for the id help.

·
Catch bait???
4,018 Posts
More than likley a mink. Saw one this year while deer hunting. The first day I saw it from a distance and thought "cool a black squirrel!" a few days later it went right under my tree. It was definitally a mink, look a lot like a long black squirrel from a distance.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Don't know the area but it could be either an otter or a mink depending on the size a mink is more the size of a pet ferret or smaller and are very dark in color throughout their body while otters are larger and brown on top with a lighter under belly

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This was not as big or brown as any otter I have seen at the zoo. This was smaller, like a ferret and black.

I never thought about it being a mink, but I bet that was it.

I knew you guys could help, thanks

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have been fishing the Lima area for 5 yeasr and this is my first mink sighting. I take it that either they are pretty rare or I am pretty non observant. Either way it was pretty neat to see it swim by.

·
You scratched my anchor!
467 Posts
I usually see 1 or 2 each year, but have seen around 7 minks and ferrets this year already- must have been a bumper crop of prey the last few years.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
No, mink & muskrats are two very different animals. The mink is in the weasel family which includes weasels (obviously),mink & ferrets ; muskrats are a rodent & are preyed on by mink. Mink spend much of their time on shore,walking the banks & 'rats spend most of their time in the water.
Olewhite , what you saw was almost certainly a mink. Pretty common in Ohio, but as someone said they are pretty skidish & nocturnal. Cool little fellows !!

·
Registered
396 Posts
I cought one when I use to muskrat trap. Got him in a conabear over a rat hole. I had it mounted but a buddy of mine boy wanted it bad so I gave it up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts