close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

what am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Carp Discussions' started by Tornichio, Apr 17, 2005.

1. I still cannot get the fish to cooperate for me. I went and fished hard this past friday, saturday and sunday. I would guess that I have fished 30 hours this year and still cannot catch a single fish. The place I fished this past friday and saturday, Had tons of fish. I chummed on friday and fished and only had a couple of line bites but no runs. Then I went to the same area and chumed saturday evening and Had even more fish. I tried to concetrate my freebies and fish directly over the. I had the fish feeding there for certain. I could see them bubble over my bait and then come to the surface and roll. I have mostly been using sweet corn unflavored fished over sweet corn. I know the fish were there and active in this area. Most places I have fished earlier this year did not have much action. But this area I must have watched the fish jump and mostly roll over 100 times. No lie. Just can not get them to bite my hook. Fish seemed to range from about 12" to I am guessing over 20lbs. I did some more chumming when I left on saturday. When I left I had no less than 3 different carp in my swim from 15 yards and in. I don't believe that they fish were spawning. Maybe it is just too cold or I forgot how to fish. If anyone wants to try this area with me your are welcome to come along. I will not get to fish again untill friday at the earliest. I just want to see if someone else can catch these fish. At least I could figure out if they are not cooperative or if it is just me. When I went out on saturday. I forgot 1 of my reels so I was only fishing with 1 rod don't know if another would have made any difference.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Marc

2. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

hey marc.. you know how to get a hold of me if you want some bankside company...i'm always open to suggestions..and next time yell louder at me..lol

3. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Marc,
    Chumming with sweet corn is good...sweet corn on the hook is good, but if you were fishing the river, the water temps are barely over 50 degrees and i feel personally that in the cooler water times you cant beat a highly flavored bait....plus fishing the "method" is always a bonus.

Friday Jake and I landed some good carp...but plain sweet corn didnt get a sniff. We started trying different flavored baits and i quickly found the flavor of the day...as with any species, that flavor could change each day, sometimes per hour.
    We had 2 rods out each..one with a feeder, one without.....guess which ones produced the most runs? Yep the combo of highly flavored bait AND a method feeder out caught the 2 other rods hands down.

Just like slammin smallmouth bass on a certain lure today doesnt always mean that the next day they'll hit that lure....i change up many times til i find what they want that day.

Scott

4. I never fish w/o some flavor either in my chum, sweet corn (bait)...

5. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

I like to use little or no flavor in my chum(just the natural flavors of them)...and flavor my bait so it stands out from the chum...if not then i feel it just like the chum and will take longer to get a take...or none at all if they are feeding shy or tentative.

My chum is basically "sweet" flavored and my hooks baits are "fruity" flavored.

Now in warmer water temps i rarely use any flavoring in my hook baits, not sure why but the "natural" flavor of the hookbait in warmer water throws out a stronger signal than in colder waters and i dont find the need to go to far with my hookbaits then. Well i know why in warmer water...but thats a different discussion.

Now in colder water its completely different..i like a very strong flavor that will grab a carps attention...they cant help but to taste it just once, thats all i need is for them to suck it in one time...bang thier hooked!! I love heavy bolt rigs(semi fixed of course).

I got a bunch of the Korda method feeders coming in both 2 & 3 oz. sizes..cant wait to use them. I love my 2 oz. Fox ones, but feel they lack in weight for distance method fishing.

Good luck Marc, give me a shout sometime if you want to hit the ole Scioto r.

Scott

6. Thanks for some of the tips guys. I had thought that having too strong of a flavor was a bad thing so my hook baits had very little if any at all. I did think that it was possible that it was still just cold water and the fish were sluggish. I was worried that Perhaps I had chummed too much. I tried to make a method mix, I do not have any feeders so I was using the mix packed around my sinker. It was not holding on too well at all when I would cast. Do the feeders really help to hold the mix? I am going to have to try to buy some. I was thinking of doing that or buying some pva. So at least if the chum would be very close to my hook bait and not spread all over the place. I think it might help since it is still cold.

Thanks again

7. I always chum a whole 38 qrt cooler full of boiled field corn the day before and the day I fish and if anythign it keeps them in the area and draws others in... So in my experience I don't think you can over chum... I add only vanilla imatation extract to the field corn and to my sweet corn I add corn syrup and vanilla extract...

8. Yes, the feeders really do hold things better. I tried packbaiting for a year or two and just couldn't get it down, so I switched over to the method feeders. You still have to keep things "wet" enough to pack...but most of my mixes you can just add more water/cream corn/corn syrup/ whatever to make them stick. As far as pva goes...I've been very happy with my results using pva...but it is tedious and has it's own problems. Unless you plan on using pellets, dry particles, or something of that sorts that would specifically need pva, I'd go with the feeders (particularly with river fishing, as I've had better results with pva in lakes).

Also, I know it might sound like others are just trying to get invited to fish your spots...but it really does help to fish with others who have had success in similar situations to those you are fishing now. That way, either you'll get some new ideas on how to fish your area (if the other person catches fish) or you'll both get skunked and then you'll have two people trying to figure out how to catch the carp there. Kind of depends on your style, though...i know some people like to try and figure out certain things on their own.

9. thanks for tips on the pva. The area I was fishing is public and anyone can fish it if they don't mind walking 600 yards. The invitation is real. I thought about it the way you described. At least I could find out if I just really am going through a slow streak or if the fish were just not biting. I had seen crappielooker on the river before I went to this spot and offered a ride to it but he wanted to stay and fish his spot. and Who could blame him. He was there maybe 5 minutes with this pole in the water and he caught a fish. Lucky dog. :) ok not really I know he had put a lot of time in his area.

If I get out to fish this friday you guys are welcome to come along.

Marc

10. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Marc,
    I hope the info. in my PM works for ya...wink.

After this coming weekends OCC event i'll have loads of free time until Junes event and will be hitting the rivers hard......i'll give you a shout and we'll hook up on the scioto and catch loads of carp, heck man its a river, fish are EASY...just ask around!!!

Scott

11. PAYARA

PAYARA THE ONE YOU LOVE TO HATE

Iam with Scott here,the water temps still are not
    warm enough everywhere to really turn them on
    yet reguardless of chum,ect.