Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't remember if I've ever had such a fun weekend in my life. The weather GODs were difinitely with us this past weekend. It couldn't have been better.

Me and Joe W arrived at Turtle Creek about 9:30 am on Friday and unloaded the truck. I noticed a boat that I had seen pictures of on here, and knew it was Eyesman01's boat. I told him we were heading out to fish, and he was welcomed to join us. We ended up limiting out in a very short time, then C&R'ed for a while. Had a blast fishing with him.

Friday I had the pleasure of meeting a lot of members that I had never met before at the campfire. Had a blast.

Saturday I fished with Fisherman419 and his dad. The fishing was on fire. Fisherman419 took to walleye fishing like a duck to water. I couldn't believe it when he told me that he had only caught one walleye before. He ended up schooling me and his dad in the fine art of jigging for walleye, and ended up catching over 30 walleyes himself. We ended the day with well over 70 walleyes in the boat (caught, not kept).

Saturday night we had an incredible fish fry, and I got to meet even more forum members. Ended the evening with a top notch BS session by the fire.

Sunday I fished with Joe W. Joe was finally on fire after a less than stellar performance on Friday and Saturday. He was a fish catching machine. I was so impressed that I let him open the sunflower seeds that he had with him so he could enjoy them. The fishing slowed in the late afternoon, so we decided to go out to 18 FOW. I switched from a jig to a Vib-E, and got back on the fish.

This morning (Monday), me, JoeW, and Shortdrift went out for one more. I got a radio call from Lundy about a hot bite in shallow water. We went in, and ended up boating over 40 walleyes before 9:30. The wind soon kicked up to tornado status, and we headed in. Had a ball trying to put the boat on the trailer in the strong gusts.

I had a great time meeting everyone, and I'd like to thank you guys for making my weekend that much more enjoyable. I apologize to those that couldn't find the campground. I thought there were clear and specific directions given in more than one thread. This get together was a little rough around the edges, but I didn't hear of anyone getting hurt, so things turned out pretty decent. I hope everyone had fun.

I'm sure if everyone wanted to do another one next spring, things could tighten up a bit.

·
KrustyDawg
2,632 Posts
Awesome weekend ! It was great meeting everyone on Friday night. I wish I could have made the Saturday night fireside chat, I'm sure it was a blast. Definitely looking forward to next year, hopefully the weather will be half as good as it was this past weekend ! Great job on putting this together Steve, you da man !:D

·
Registered
13,787 Posts
Congrats on planning and execution Het! PERFECT!

Sorry I missed the fish fry/fire Saturday... I was going to wait, but was VERY tired, and didn't want to be responsible for driving home late after tipping a few brews... Got to be careful!

Plus, I promised my son I'd take him out somewhere fishing Sunday...

Was an awesome time.

·
340 Posts
I only made the trip up on Sunday morning. I wish I could have spent the entire weekend. But plans for the other days prevented me from making a weekend of it. The weather was PERFECT! It sounds like the OGF gang had a great time on and off the water!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Me and Bud(my dog) had a great time meeting everyone friday also. Seemed like everyone was bummed out to see just me saturday nite when I got there. Definately a great time. Hope I get to put to use some of the input I got on trolling for the :B after dark out east later this year.

Tenrds/Bud

·
KrustyDawg
2,632 Posts
Me and Bud(my dog) had a great time meeting everyone friday also. Seemed like everyone was bummed out to see just me saturday nite when I got there. Definately a great time. Hope I get to put to use some of the input I got on trolling for the :B after dark out east later this year.

Tenrds/Bud
Nice meeting you and Air Bud Friday night. Come to Huron soon for the night bite !;)

·
Registered
168 Posts
First of I'd like to thank Steve for putting this together and for picking an absolutely perfect weekend. The weather, fishing, people, and again the weather was just great. Thanks to CW261 (Carl and his son Matt) for allowing me to be their guest for the weekend, you guys were great fishing partners as well as perfect hosts, I totally enjoyed my self. It was great to meet so many other OGF'ers, to put faces with some of the names. Can't wait til Hawgfest '07, and I really hope this outing becomes an annual event.

_Dan Hill

·
761 Posts
What a weekend! Next year I'll have to start "training" a couple of months before so I'll be in shape for the long weekend - I am wore out.

Nice meeting you and fishing with you Dan - had a great time.

A big thanks to Hetfieldinn for pulling this whole thing together and being the emcee for the event. Did I mention I had a great time? I hope to be able to witness another weekend of fishing that great some time in the not too distant future.

·
Registered
96 Posts
It was good to meet you Het and some of the others Sat night, wish I could have stayed longer but I had to work the next day(3 hour drive from Turtle).
Maybe next time I'll be off for the weekend and be able fish with some of you guys. That new Triton ran like a charm, but I wasn't very comfortable running that fast, yet. I still have to get me a new drift sock from my little oops Saturday. Definitely a perfect weekend with both the weather and the walleye cooperating. Had my limit by 8 am on Sat. Did someone mention something in June? If so, I'll be off the weekend of the 9th.

Stinger

G

·
The training thing might be a must. Learning to stay up all night, fish all day, and laugh all evening at the fire is rough stuff.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Simply AWESOME........... Steve, thanks for all you done,from the planning to the great fish fry. Your cell phone battery has to be on it's last leg from all the abuse. Great to put faces on all the screen names also. Fish-on and K-gone,glad to meet you guys,we had a snoring competition going on in there. And last but not least..COmmadore64 good to meet you, Your a HOOOOT Man!!!!

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
man...sounds like rex and i missed EVERYTHING!!! except the GREAT fishing!!!met a few folks and got to see the 'yakers first hand!!!:) best weekend of fishing EVER!!!:D

·
Original OGF Staff member and owner
13,435 Posts
Sounds like a trip to remember. So sorry I missed it.My brother called me Wednesday and said he was sick and couldn't make it. I figured I'd find someone to go out with me anyway. Thursday I woke up feeling not to good and went back to bed. I figured a days rest I'd be fine, Friday I was worse and canceled. Saturday I felt so bad I didn't even get on the site to check for updates. Stayed in bed all day. Kim called me and told me about the bite.
Sunday started feeling almost normal. I hated to miss it as it would have been my first trip on Erie in my own boat. I'll be planning a trip soon that's for sure.
Anyone that wanted OGF gear let me know please. I'll send it out ASAP. Sorry I didn't get up there with it.
Het thanks for all your work. Lets hope the next one is as good.

·
Lumberjack
1,526 Posts
Although it has all been said previously, I have to agree it was one of the best three days of fishing I have experienced on Erie...add to that the opportunity to meet a few of you guys only enhanced the trip! In spite of a setback with big engine trouble Friday and a late start Saturday, the fish still cooperated. I had to join up with a few other guys on Saturday in Port Clinton so I missed the fish fry and fireside BS'n, but I enjoyed the limited camaraderie from Friday night, at the cleaning tables and on the lake.

Next time I think staying at the campgrounds is in order! Also, not spending the week prior in the hospital and having clearance to party a little more might help!!

Tight lines to all and kudos to Steve for spearheading the event...can't wait until another one comes around. :)

·
I AM THE VOICE OF REASON!
1,428 Posts
Het,
You should feel good. This is what it's all about, from my understanding of this site and fishing in general. Although we showed up late Saturday night and didn't get to meet many OGF'ers we had a great time. You & this site brought alot of us together. That's really cool! Thanks for your efforts. I know what it takes to pull something like this off.
DC

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
My second walleye jigging event of the year (and life) and first in my boat. I brought two friends and we all had a blast. I regret not locating fellow OGFers at the campground but we stayed on Catawba Island with my brother. We had to drive back to cook him a fish fry. Met Just Ducky at the Turtle Creek ramp on Sunday.
Het - Thanks for saying hello on the water. I probably would not have made this trip if you had not created an event!
I need to order an OGF flag for the yacht.
Gene

1 - 20 of 30 Posts