Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Set The Hook!
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from nine days of fishing on Erie. Week started off slow at the Ruggles area so I took a day and chased largemouth in the Bay. What a blast, fish had their noses right on the bank. Caught many, many largemouth casting a spinnerbait. Next couple of days I ran to the SW corner of Kellys. Caught my limit in a few hrs the fist day, and went back the next day and fishing had slowed up but still caught fish.. Went out of Catawba Sate park ramp the next day and fished shallow water in front of Port Clinton, alot of boats and many fish caught. I gave a call to Cranberry Marine for a report and Woody said things are heating up. Went there the next day ( and stayed there for the rest of the trip) me and a buddy had our limit and I caught these two beautys. Drifting Wallypops and casting weapons. The fish are really on from Cranberry Marina to Vermillian. Get there if you can. If you can stop at Daves Bait and Tackle in Vermillian. He has a new trick for us poor casters /drifters. I do think it helped put a few more fish in the boat for me. He has the best crawlers and info around.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Nice job Orlando ! ! ! !

Now that's the way to spend a vacation ! ! !

·
the Susan Lucci of OGF
15,956 Posts
man i wish i could take 9 days and just fish erie:) im walleye green with envy:D thanks for the great report and good job!!

hey orlando did you bleed those walleye somehow? from the photo, it looks like you slit the throat under the gills. whats you method? thanks

·
Set The Hook!
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I started bleeding them a few years back . I cut their throat and throw them in the livewell for 5 minutes or so to bleed out, then put them in the cooler on ice. It makes a huge difference when cleaning them. No blood or mess and the fillets come out perfectly white. Give it a try and you won't beleive the difference. I have been blessed with a understanding wife and the job that lest me get away for that long. I don't get to fish the weekends like I used to to I take a week or so in the spring a few weekends during the summer and a week in the fall. Its a good time for me to clear the mind.

·
Premium Member
10,882 Posts
Nice Orlando!

Thanks for the message (fish report).

I had my wife and grand daughters with me and was limited on what we could do. We drifted harnesses late Saturday with little results. Marks everywhere, nice walleye being caught near us. Pretty rocking and rolling and my crew could only handle about an hour.

Went out Sunday morning and a huge group of sheephead had moved in. It was nonstop sheep for 2-3 hrs. doubles triples. All I did was take off fish and put on worms. They had a blast catching fish, but did not take one walleye in the 15 -24 ft area.

If my crew would have been up to it I would have tried to of moved a few miles to get out of the sheep, but they didn't care what they were, they were catching fish.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts