close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What a Story I have to Tell!

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by CreekFloater, Aug 20, 2004.

1. CreekFloater

CreekFloater Have Water, Will Fish

Hit my buddy's private little 17 acre lake last nite. Wind was blowing horrible when I got there, making fishing very tough. Only had caught a couple of bucket mouths when all of the sudden, the wind died down. Lightning strikes way off in the distance made me consider getting off water, but suddenly the bite turned on and I actually had a stretch where I caught nine fish in a row on nine casts. I have done this with bluegills, but never with bass! Most were about two pounders, but did manage one hawg who I weighed at 5 lbs, 3 ounces. Understand this is a tremendous body of water which doesn't get alot of pressure, but WOW, this was fantastic. Not sure if it was the change in the weather that turned them on, but for about ten minutes I had more fun than I have ever had. It was a shame it got dark so quick, and with the lightning approaching, I ended the evening.

2. CreekFloater,

Sometimes, fishing really is that simple. So, don't be so quick to discredit your thinking. With the pond being 17 acres, a sudden weather change would definitely change the fishes' attitudes. Everyone grew up being told by their Grandpas (I thank my Pap-Pap<RIP> all the time for showing me the great outdoors, esp. fishing!!!!) that fish hit better right before it rains. Who hasn't had that happen to them? I know I have. And just another example of this occurred to me on Lake Erie this past June. My partner and I found a little cut on the south side near the mansion off Ruggles. Place was loaded with baitfish. But the fish we knew were there wouldn't hit a thing unless the wind was blowing north to south and pushing water back into the cut. Whenever the wind came from the north, it was fish on, and I mean we killed fish in there for short periods of time. We were lucky to finish our two day club tourneys in third and fourth both days, we just switched positions each day. A simple weather change turned the fish on in Erie....what do you think about your assessment now on your friend's small lake?

Eric

3. Sounds like some awsome fishing! Thats a pretty good sized lake to have all to yourself. Something like that happend to me once in W.V. We were fishing for smallies in I think the East Fork river by Elkins and we were catching a few but it started to rain and they just went crazy. Caught one just about every cast for about a half hour. We would go and catch salamander from this little stream and then use them for bait, the smallies loved them. When you want to get together Jim? I've been fishing Deer Creek and Darby and doing pretty good.

4. rockbass

rockbass Banned

Awesome night fishing. I would take that any day! So where is this pond?? :D

5. CreekFloater

rockbass: To use a line from the movies, "I could tell you, but then I would have to kill you." Actually it is in northwestern pickaway county. My friend bought the property and built himself quite a nice house overlooking it. It cannot be seen from the road.....and he likes it that way. Kind of his own little slice of heaven. Being his best friend, I have tried to get him to let me buy a little piece of land on the one end, but he says he ll hasn't froze over, so it isn't happening. So, I have to be content to get to go over and fish, just not out my front door.
    Twistertail...I floated Darby twice in the last couple of weeks and did pretty good. And like you mentioned a couple of weeks ago, I also caught a few nice saugers that went between 15" and 21". Football scrimmage tonight, so my fishing has now got to work around the pigskin. Go Mustangs!

6. saugeyeslayer

saugeyeslayer The tug is the drug

is the owners first name tom???

7. catking

catking Banned

Ive had a few times that rival what you did CreekFloater :) It truly does border on laughable :D .Be nice for them to hit like that all the time.THE CATKING !!!

8. No it would not be great. We would just get spoiled and take up golf for the challenge.

9. I've had that happen to me quite a few times when a thunderstorm is approaching. A storm or a front approaching turns em on in a big hurry. Congrats on that nice one!

10. catking

catking Banned

Well, after reading this thread Mr CreekFloater, DA KING !!! got the idea to go bassin up the road at 10 pm during a nice warm rain. Got at the lake, and made about 3000 cast. NOTHING :confused: The conditions were as subscribed in the opening post. STILL NOTHIN :confused: Did I do something wrong :rolleyes: ...DA KING !!!

11. CreekFloater

All I can say is it must have been that electric grape culprit worm i was using. or I was just holding my mouth right. However, the fishing gods do know when one of you "catfisherman" are trying something other than your specialty and might have been playing some games with you. Sometimes when I have not been catching anything, a buddy has told me it is because I was talking too much. I know that could never be your problem, could it?

12. I know I had a great day at our club tourney on O'Shay when I did not have a partner. Sure, I talked to myself to keep from going crazy, but the next day at Griggs I had a partner (JBJ) and I couldn't shut up, and I missed three fish that would have helped a lot in my point total. I guess I was trying to make up for not having a partner the day before. Yak! Yak! Yak!

Eric

13. catking

catking Banned

DA KING !!! NEVER chats while fishin CreekFloater :cool: Way to busy haulin in da fish :cool: I reall thought I was going to haul in some bass the other night. Light warm rain, lightning in the distance....Must have been the cut shad I was throwin at the bass :confused: DA KING !!!

14. CreekFloater

Being the 'King" of posting, I only assumed you also chatted alot while fishing. I should have known better than to question the manner in which the "King" does anything. I find that every time I toss a line it is different, which is why it makes it so interesting. You never know when the next cast will produce a lifetime of stories. Hope you have better luck next time catking. I hope I do as well.

15. FINMAN

FINMAN Old Junior Member

...ask him about his muskie :D :D :D

16. The reason the fish start biting right before, and in the beginning of, a storm has to do with the incoming front. When a frontal system moves in, there is a sudden and drastic barometer change (this is why many can "feel a storm coming in the bones"). After a good rain it is much harder for these fish to feed, since the water turns dirty, and they therefore gourge themselves while food is somewhat easily caught. Read this in Field and stream along time ago.