Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Blind Owl
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went fishing for perch Mon. for a few hours with a friend,did awful. We were leaving for back to the dock when I saw something in the water that I thought was a ballon. Drove up to it and it turned out to be a Alverz 12 string guitar. It has a cracked neck and two cracks along the sound chamber. I'll see what it will cost to get it fixed if it can be fixed. I understand it is a decent guitar. Wont know till I take it in to somebody. What a weird thing to find in the lake. Blind Owl

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts
Just like most guitar manufacturers, Alvarez makes some higher end guitars, and some 'entry' level guitars that are more suited for dumpster fires. If the neck is cracked, but the fretboard is not, it could be salvagable for a decent price. If the fretboard is toast, you're looking at a considerable amount of money to have it repaired. Most likely more than the guitar cost when new. The bad part is that you found it floating. There could be some warpage to the wood as it dries out.

·
Lure Junkie
2,220 Posts
I have 2 Alvarez acoustics...I love em...I play my cheaper model more than anything else I own...they have $200 guitars and $2000 guitars...I wouldnt think a 12 string would be a cheaper model...

Generally in the body inside the hole there is a plaque from Alvarez showing model number...given you found it in the lake I dunno if its visable still or in tact...if it is maybe you can find out the model number...You'd get a quick estimate on the guitars worth off that model number...Id have to estimate an Alvarez 12 string to go for around $300 minimum new...
http://www.alvarezgtr.com/products.php

...Acoustics are generally set necks...Getting them apart can be pretty tough without ruining the body of the guitar...However some basic epoxy and some sanding MAY fix the cracks in the neck and body and least make it playable...How big are the cracks...Theres a truss rod in the neck so i highly doubt trying to tune the guitar will break the neck...might have a real unique sound...

Generally dents and dings give guitars character...Id like to see some pics of this thing...lol...

Yea id say thats a weird but cool thing to find in the lake...maybe forgot on a beach somewhere and washed in...I wish Id have found it...

·
Blind Owl
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As soon as my daughter shows me how to post pictures I get them out. The model# and ser.# are very visiable.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Off topic....looks like we have some musicians here on OGF. I'm a bass (not smallmouth or largemouth) player myself. Could there possibly be a jam session at Hetfest next year?:D

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I'm the best kazoo player in the area!

If anyone finds a pearl body/ebony neck Fender Strat floating in the lake let me know. I had one stolen years ago and I sure miss it.

·
Banned
14,059 Posts
i cant play anything. but i think its a neat find. and getting off thread just alittle. a friend and i were hunting and he found 2 deer heads with hugh 8 point racks stuck together. and all he talked about was the deer i had got.(a nice big doe) but i finelly said i would trade the deer for that set of skulls he had found. he said you really would do that. and i said i sure would. then he wouldnt take anything for them. he even turned down 500.00 for them. they just wasnt worth much until somebody elce wanted them. then they were priceless.LOL. sometimes its not the $$ that counts. but what its worth to you.
sherman

·
Lure Junkie
2,220 Posts
I sold my Marshall Half Stack probaly 2 years ago when I got out of my last band sold off a bunch of other equipment too...Or else I could have melted faces at Hetfest...lol

I still have a few guitars I need to sell...

·
Registered
367 Posts
It's great to see so many musicians on here that like to fish as well!!

I have been a professional musician all my life and am also a music professor/guitarist.

I am very curious as to if the guitar will be salvageable after being soaked for so long. I've certainly never had any similar experience. Certainly, cracks can almost always be repaired, but I have no idea if the water would ruin the guitar, or not.

If you want, PM me and I can put you in touch with a couple of world class people who could repair it, or advise you.

Good luck! pik-n-fin

·
Registered
7 Posts
Make sure you take the strings off right away. Wet with tension will definitely warp it. Let it dry for a week or two at least in a cool dry place. There are some very good epoxies now that can repair the cracks. The neck will have to be clamped when you epoxy it. I have done a few. They worked fine. The cracks on the face may not even have to be fixed if they are not too bad and don't rattle. I had an off brand guitar once that looked beautiful and was easy to play but the tone was terrible. Had a few too many beers one day and I threw it across the room. It cracked from the hole, under the bridge to the bottom. It actually improved the tone tons. Anything can be fixed. It just depends on how much time and/ or money you want to spend. Elrod.

·
Blind Owl
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the responses to the guitar. I'll be taking it to a woodwoorking class that I do on
thursdays. we will see what they say from there, then will take further steps as needed. I will post pctures as soon as I can.

·
Registered
202 Posts
about 5 years ago on the cross between catwaba and put in bay i saw a foot ball floating. pulled up to pick it up and it had the tags and everything on it. cool thing was it had 4 pro seires artagraphs on it!

then i found a pairachute floating one day walleye fishing. that was sweet. no pairchuter though.:confused:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts