close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What a day... wow

Discussion in 'Northwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by CoolWater, Jul 12, 2007.

1. CoolWater

CoolWater Multi-Species Fanatic

Went back to the Maumee River, one week later to the date of my first Flathead catch. It was quite the day with all kinds of drama... I guess I will call it my best worst day or something. I'm tired but here's the summary:

1. First cast, no more than 10 seconds, Flathead on - and I land it, nice little mid size fish.

2. Fifteen minutes later get a HUGE bite... can not get it off the bottom and it eventually slices my line off on a rock. Never get to see the fish, but possibly the largest fish in freshwater that I would have ever caught.

3. Half an hour later another BIG bite. This time I get out farther into the water (wearing shorts and aqua socks) to better control the fish. I manage to land the fish and it is a real nice big flattie - similar size to my first ever from last week. Overall, I think this fish was shorter in length but more girth.

4. I have my best digital camera on the tripod - on a small natural shelf by the bank. I successfully do 3 or 4 self timer pictures. I move the switch to video to show the fish for a little bit and it's release. I press the button to start recording, back away from the camera - and the tripod falls over forward - camera comes unattached from the tripod bounces once and falls into the water. I let go of fish and search underwater for the camera... it likely was under for 3-4 seconds. camera is hissing and making all kinds of sounds. I pop battery out and memory card. Set camera out to dry in sun with all 'doors' open on it.

5. I decide to keep fishing, get another big fish on. As I bring it in, I see it is a very large Common Carp. I give the fish some line so I can get backup digital camera ready. Didn't want the fish out of the water too long. I get camera #2 ready and fish breaks line. (pretty sure just wrapped me around a sharp rock)

6. Re-tie on a new set up, knock bait container off of that same small shelf by the bank... all but two nightcrawlers washed off in current.

7. That's it I'm leaving. Realize I forgot a change of clothes. Throw wet clothes in cooler, except underwear. Drive home with every truck staring at me like I'm a freak - even scarier a few semi's honked. To get home fastest I took the turnpike, needless to say the attendant that took my money had a very odd look on her face.

8. Take a shower, leave camera in front of the fan to continue drying process. Hook camera to computer and at least was able to download data from my memory card. Will continue to dry out camera and pray it isn't ruined.

2. NorthSouthOhioFisherman

NorthSouthOhioFisherman The Young Outdoorsman

well you'll hav bad days like that. sounds crazy!

3. fugarwi7

fugarwi7 Lumberjack

Sounds like you made the best of the events that occurred...sign of a real trooper! You could have made a justified rant, but I think you handled the adversity/unfortunate mishaps as well as could be expected. WTG!

Hope your camera recovers!

4. It sounds like you're getting the hang of the Flathead fishing up there with your own unique style. Good job on the fish, hopefully the camera will come back to life. I've had days like the one you've described. Maybe not with cameras; but with digital scales & aerators sliding off of 'safe' rocks and floating down the river. I also can't even tell you how many rods I've somehow managed to bust on my adventures.......TightLines!

5. sevenx

sevenx "I sat by the river" N.Mc

Coolwater I feel your pain, But at least your hooking up with some nice fish. Hope the camera survives. S

6. CoolWater

Thanks all... tightliner - good to see you - been awhile!

First trip 1 flattie - Second trip 2 flatties.... Third trip, 4!? I hope!

Here's a pic of the fish after release, I let it chill in the current for a bit to liven up. It only stayed there about 20 seconds and then headed into the deeper water.

[​IMG]

7. That was an "Adventure".

Thanks for sharing, I was chuckling and thinking about similar days of my own.

Would loved to have seen a few shots of the monster on the bottom... but alas, that's fishing.

8. That's an awesome story Adam. Good thing the cops didn't pull you over and frisk you :)

9. Funny story except the camera in the water, sweet fish though.

10. krustydawg

krustydawg KrustyDawg

Man alive Adam, I bet you were ready for a couple brews after that fishing expedition !:D

11. i had a similar experience on the mighty maumee today - minus the camera woes.

I took my son, sister, and dad down to my favorite catfish hole.
    My old man showed up with his 5' ultra light, thinking he wouldn't catch any big fish. WRONG! He landed two, yes TWO "Fish Ohio" Channel Cats w/in a half hour of each other. His little St. Croix ultra light performed like no tomorrow. The fish both took about 10-15 mins to land. The first just made the fish ohio mark at 26" and the second was 29." Quite an evening for us. Then like Coolwater, I hooked up with a giant. I thought I was snagged for a moment than felt the snag moving. Darn 6 lbs test! It broke! I wanted to cry. Never got to see the fish but I'm certain it was a flathead. Last time I show up for to "gun fight with a knife." :)

If I get the chance, I'm heading back tomorrow to try to complete my Fish Ohio "grandslam."

12. webcat.jpg
    This was my 38" flathead from a few weeks ago.

13. Dad's 29" Channel from today. Note the ultra light rod! cats 009 - web.jpg

14. CoolWater

Fantastic fish 007! Sounds (& looks) like you are getting into some awesome maumee r. action.

15. phisherman

phisherman can't land em Teddy

Great reports and pictures guys. Adam, I especially like the photo of the flattie under water. Do those guys have a good camo or what. No wonder they eat anything they want. I bet fish just swim right in their cavernous mouths and don't even know it.

16. tcba1987

tcba1987 Tuscarawas River Angler

sounds like a typical day of fishing for me :p congrats on the GREAT fish !!! :B

17. Where on the maumee is the best place to fish for these cats? Myself and friends are planing on coming up from findlay sometime this week to fish for them. The only places I have fished up there are around bluegrass. I am not looking for any of your secret hole (but if you want to give them I will not complain) but just general things to look for. Also what is the best bait? Thanks guys and I will let you know how we do. Good luck all.

18. CarpCommander

CarpCommander Banned

WOW...that was a crappy day!

It really hurts to say this Adam, but I can totally picture you knocking/dropping stuff over....lol. I remember that first flattie you 'drop-released' into the river. :D O ya, and I won't mention that big white bass at your parents place on the Sandusky.

I'll give you a call later and get the scoop......

19. CoolWater

Sounds good... no bringing up the big White Bass, I'm blaming that one on you when it got wrapped around the anchor line!!! :D

20. I am looking for a decent place to catch some big ones.Haven't fished in over a year because of health. Looking for someplace with easy access. Any help would be greatly appreciated.