close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What a day I had......

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fastlane, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Fastlane

Fastlane Fishless as usual

Well, I got up early this morning to do some work around the house. I mainly needed to clean the garage for a garage sale this weekend. About 11:40 I heard a loud pop sound and it shook the garage. I thought Colin (my son) was messing around and wrecked his bike into the garage so I ran out to check and noticed a huge cloud of dust at the end of the driveway and knew it was a wreck.

I dialed 911 from my cell as I was running up the driveway and I saw a young lady laying face down in the neighbors front yard. I couldn't see a car because of the dust so I ran to the lady. I thought maybe someone hit her walking until the dust cleared. She was badly beaten up and bleeding from her head and a few other places here and there. This was about the same time 911 answered. I was frantic telling the 911 operator that I needed help ASAP and that there was a car overturned with 1 victim ejected from the car. She was semi conscience and I touched her to let her know I was there to help while speaking to 911. She was starting to come to and I noticed a baby stroller that was about 30 feet from the car. I tried to calm her and I asked if there was anyone else in the car. She suddenly regained full consciousness and began screaming "my baby, my baby" then went semi conscience again.

I ran to the car, still on the phone with 911, and I noticed a strong smell of gas. Fearing the worse, I pried the drivers door open. There was so much stuff in the car I couldn't see the baby. I was in a panic and began grabbing stuff and tossing it from the car. Then I heard what sounded like gasping and I saw the infant seat firmly strapped in the back seat. As I reached under it to feel for the baby I felt her tiny little head and lifted it just a bit and she began crying. Apparently since the car was upside down the straps that held her in were pressing against her throat and strangling her. I tried to undo the belts but I couldn't so I ran back to my garage to get a razor knife. By the time I got back a nurse who was passing by was there with the lady and another man trying to get the baby out. I handed him the knife and he cut it as I pulled the car seat out. There she was, a beautiful little 3-4 week old baby girl. Her face was a little blue but other than a few minor cuts she was fine.

I got her out of the seat and took her over to her mom to show her that her baby was fine to calm her some. I began talking to her telling her how pretty her baby was and asking her basic questions about the baby trying to keep her focused. The baby was named Haley and I told her that my little one was named Haley too and she smiled but soon went semi conscience again. I asked her how old the baby was and she said she didn't know. I asked her if she knew where she was or where she was going and she mumbled another I don't know. Then she asked where her baby was and she was looking right at her. I took the baby away so she could stabilize her some. I focused my attention back to the baby again and had Colin go get a wet towel to wipe her off some and cool her down some (It was in the 90's with the sun beating down on us).

Finally I heard sirens in the distance and the first fireman arrived. He looked the baby over while I held her and he asked the State Patrol office to get care flight for the mother. She was fading pretty quickly. I was now more concerned about the baby and if mom wasn't going to make it I just felt the baby shouldn't be near her so we walked about 30 yards away as the fireman assisted the nurse with the mom.

Finally a squad arrived and I turned the baby over to the pros. It was then that it all hit me and I started to realize what had just happened. I never thought that I would know what to do in a true emergency but I did. I began surveying the scene and I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I never paid any attention to the car until then. It was a black dodge neon! Just like Patty's car and Amanda's boyfriend Josh's car. And either one of them were due home at any time. If I had noticed it was a neon when I first saw the car I would have been in a panic (Patty was bringing home a co-worker with her and I didn't know what she looked like for sure).

I called the hospital this evening and since I didn't know the ladies first name they wouldn't give me any details other than she was admitted but Haley, they said was treated and released and was doing fine. Quite possibly, I helped save both of their lives and I thank God above that I handled everything the way I did. One of the Patrol officers even thanked me for doing what I did. I told him "I just did what anyone would have done right?" He said, "unfortunately no, most people just want to stand around and watch. Very few people get involved and risk getting into a car that is pouring gas out and could ignite at any time to save someone else. You did good". I may have did my part but when you look at the pictures you will see the only part that isn't crushed is the drivers side in the rear. God protected that baby, I just comforted her until help got there.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  2. god sure did protect that baby, by placing you at the point of impact...good to know there are still people like you out there watching our back!!!

3. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Man, that looks like it cold have came out a lot worse. Thanks god you were there.

4. Lewis

Lewis ORIGINAL TEAM OGF

Thanks man!
    What an awesome job you did!

5. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

That Neon is messed up. You should feel pretty good about yourself.

You can get the lady's name from the accident report at the police station.
    It always burns me up to see a kid hanging out the window or not buckled in while an oblivious parent is driving. Shows you what those baby car seats can do.

6. You truley are a hero!

J

7. What you did yesterday is a ture act of heroism and I commend you for it. I have been a firefighter for 9 and a half years and I have dealt with many accidents of that nature. The civilians who jump in there and help with out considering the risks associated with what they are doing have my utmost respect. I am trained to handle accidents such as what you were a witness to, but I still am a little nervous on calls like that... and I have full protective gear and training. You on the other hand had very little, if any training, and still did what I, being a paramedic would have done..... and risked you a$$ by gong inside that car with no flash protection. You have my respect and mostly, you have my thanks. People like you make our jobs so much easier. You have just made someones life better by just being a part of it.

You deserve a beer (or a cold soda)!

8. Nice job!!! You would not believe how few people will get involved. I have seen a few wrecks where people would do exactly what the cop said...stand there and gawk and not lift a finger to help.

9. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Great job you did. You indeed could have saved their lifes. I spent over 25 years as a firefighter, several of them on a heavy rescue unit, that car was bad! I've taken people out of cars that were not even close to being that tore up and lost them. Feel proud of what you did.

10. Like everyone else has said good job. I just hope that maybe the mother will feel the same way we all do. You might have just made a couple of friends for life.

11. jeffmo

jeffmo officially unofficial!!!!

you really deserve to feel good about helping out.it could have been so much worse for them if you hadn't.i'm surprised and glad, that their injuries weren't worse than they were.i've seen alot or wrecks that looked less severe but the outcome wasn't nearly as good as this one.
    none of us ever know when the time may come that we need some help,that's why we need to be willing to do it for others when we can.
    you definately have my respect!

12. Reel Lady

Reel Lady Dreams DO come true!

What a story...wow...You really are a hero. Thank god for people like you who follow their heart and instinctively just know what to do. Just think what could have happened if you werent there. Actually, let's not. As I was reading your story I just kept thinking... "Please let this have a happy ending...". At one point, I was telling myself just to stop reading. Being a mother myself, well, let's just say that the thought of anything happening to my children, or anything happening to me which would leave my children motherless....makes my stomach feel like a twisted mess.
    I'm sure that she will be forever grateful to you for your heroic act.
    Now we just have to spread the word about how important it is to be CPR certified. It's not just for our Doctors and EMT's anymore. EVERYONE should know how to do CPR. Even children can be certified. Free classes are offered all of the time. It's so much easier to just go and get certified, then it would ever be to know that if only you were certified that you could have saved your spouses, childs, neighbors life. :C The class is aproximately 4 hours....a very small investment of time when compared to the pain of losing a loved one, or the amount of guilt you would experience knowing that you COULD have saved someones life if only.......
    I actually just heard about a man having a heart attack on his boat during an fishing tournament on Mosquito in April. He is okay now, but evidently his fishing partner new exactly how to handle this situation.

13. You really should be proud of yourself, you did a tremendous job when the chips were down. Hopefully, the mother will get to see her little daughter grow up.

Eric

14. Fastlane

I have a hard time reading these replies without getting a lump in my throat and tearing up a bit. I don't feel I should be called or related to the term hero. I just did what I felt was the right thing to do. It was all 100% instinct. I didn't sleep at all last night thinking about what I would have done if the baby or lady was not alive. I don't think I could have dealt with it. The true heros are the EMT's, firemen, law enforcement officers, etc. who do this every day. The men and women who get up every day knowing they may save a life or lose one. They get dresssed knowing they may risk their life today. It was one day of my life but it is everyday life for so many. I thank all of you for your kind words but most of all I thank God for giving me direction as to what to do. Like may of you have mentioned, I have seen cars not nearly as bad off as that one with a far worse outcome.

I think what I did came so easy for me because about 9 years ago I recieved a phone call from an unknown man. He told me my wife and son had been in an accident but they were both ok but the car would need to be towed and I would need to pick them up at the hospital. He was very calm and said he had already called for a squad just to be on the safe side. My wife nearly died in that accident but she remembers the guy talking to her and trying to keep her calm. When she would start to dose off he'd make conversation with her to keep her alert. He knew enough to not alarm me by telling me the truth about the severity of the accident. But he cared enough to help. My wife suffered 3 broken ribs, 2 collapsed lungs and her oxygen level was about 20 when she arrived at the ER. No doubt that man saved my wife's life. My son, who was in a toddler seat was unharmed.

Maybe yesterday was just my opportunity to "pay it forward".

15. I was just wondering if you were planning a visit to the hospital to see how she's doing? I know you said earlier that you didn't have her name.

16. you are a true hero........great job man

17. :c !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. Job well done! I'm sure that woman will always keep the memory of what you did and be grateful. I was in a similar situation 10 years ago on a hot August day when I had a head-on collision w/ a big Pepsi truck. I wasn't wearing a seat belt and my face kissed the windshield. Lets just say it was a miracle I wasn't decapitated. I kept on trying to not lose my consciousness, and I was aware of many people standing around at a distance, but no one would come up to me and help. That is, until, a woman who introduced herself as Madonna walked up, spoke w/ me, called an ambulance and called my wife at work to tell her I love her. To this day, I'm grateful for her incredible selflessness and help. You sound like the same kind of person. Thank you for being so kind.

19. Fastlane

Great news. I got her name from the news paper and called Miami Valley. The baby was treated and released and her mom is doing great. I got to speak with her and another gentleman with her (possibly her husband I didn't ask) and she is in a lot of pain but nothing life threatening. She got by with a cracked rib and cuts and bruises. I let her know that she was a great mom for having Haley strapped in the car so well. There is a lot of irony to this story too. My oldest daughter is named Amanda and my youngest is Haley. The lady's name was Amanda and the daughter was Haley. My wife drives a black Neon and so does Amanda's boyfriend. Normally I go catfishing on Tuesday night and don't get home until 3-4 in the morning and sleep until noon. I didn't go this week and was up before 9. Normally on hot days like yesterday I am in the house sitting in the a/c. A few minutes before the accident I was mowing the yard and was mowing the area at the end of the drive but I something told me to quit and work in the garage instead. If I had been mowing I could have been in the back and not noticed the accident or I could have been at the end of the drive and been hit. I just feel like I was meant to be there.

20. Great job, Fastlane. I'm certainly glad you were there and you should be proud of what you did. And I'm glad to hear mother and daughter are doing well. It's really amazing sometimes how people seem to end up right where they need to be. It certainly helps to strenthen my faith.