Whacked em @ Alum - Video Attached!

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by ShakeDown, Oct 8, 2007.

1. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

4 OGF guys (myself, chopiq, newbreed, duane) took advantage of the holiday and hit the water this morning in two boats. Launched at daylight.

Set out crappie/eye fishing, and the action was non stop all day. Our boat (duane and I) boated 6 eyes (2 good keepers), 8 largemouths, countless crappie, and 3 muskie!! Ski's were small, but very cool to boat regardless. We had a blast.

Chopiq and Newbreed caught a ton of fish too, but the highlight was definitely the phone call I got from chopiq around 2pm. We were about 100 yards away from them, when my cell rings...

"Dude, get over here!! We don't have a net with us, and I have a 3 foot long muskie hooked up on crappie gear and we can't boat em"

We pull the troller up, boogie on over to em and hand em the net...the video tells a much better story of the events that followed...

CLICK HERE FOR THE VID

Then about 40 mins later, another call....

"Hey man..we're taking off. Newbreed buried a vibee treble hook in his thumb and needs to hit th ER"

[​IMG]

Nice job Mitch :D

Anyways, great day on the water with a great crew. Lotta action, vibees and jig/minnow were the ticket. Surprised how shallow the fish were considering surface temps were 75 when we left.

2. seethe303

seethe303 Senior Executive Member

was that muskie pulling the boat around? that was a crazy and hilarious video. sorry you lost that nice fish!

3. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

John-- Remember never leave the house without the net:p Nice fish though. Sounds like you guys had a great day.
    The hook in the thumb brings back memories I don't want to remember!:eek:

4. NorthSouthOhioFisherman

NorthSouthOhioFisherman The Young Outdoorsman

WOW too bad i wanted to see it!!! you'll have that- sounds like GOOD DAY ON THE WATER! nothin better-good fishing,nsof

5. That picture of the hook in the thumb about makes me sick !! Nice job on the fish until some body screwed it up !! The cool down is coming & the fishing should only get better. Good job, again.
    Tim

6. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

great show,guys.
    geeze mitch.looks like what happened to me last week,only different finger,and i had a flopping fish on the other end of the vibe:eek:
    i told you about those things.but the er for a little vibe hook?:confused:
    i thought i just explained how to do on water DIY surgery for those:D
    you gotta learn to cowboy up:p ;)

7. Great job guys looked like great day out there!! Man that area looks familiar!!:) Hey Mitch you gotta just cut the thumb off and keep fishing man!! Fish are biting what is the loss of a thumb save it on ice sew it back later!!:p Ouch!! Hope it happened taking a fish off. My Oshay spot was full of bass again tonight!! Video was awesome muskies are busy sounds like.

8. RareVos

RareVos Lost Sailor

Ouch and... ouch.

9. now thats fishing........skis, eyes, bass, crappies, broken lines, hooks in thumbs. wow what a day!!!!!!!!!

10. Perchy101

Perchy101 Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Good job guys....

Looks like I will be making a trip out to Alum this week... Been over a month snice i've been up that way....

I guess seeing that large of a fish with that many teeth are gonna discourge me from hanging my feet off the canoe and into the water anymore....

11. Looks like you guys had a blast, too bad the big one got away!

12. Wow the thumb thing looks painful...hope it all worked out at the ER, I keep hearing about these vibees, whats the best colors to get???

13. stilesp

stilesp Fishin Alum

Looks like to me the big one was sitting in the boat with a hook in his thumb. :--) Great video guys...gotta get out with ya sometime.

14. Maybe I'm crazy, but the fish are hitting when the water temps seem a little warmer than it should be for them to hit like they are, and the deer are on the move too! They seem to know what time of year it is even when the thermometer should be telling them it's still summer. ???? I like it!! It's nice not having to wear three layers of clothes to go fishing, or should I say catching? LOL

15. What do you mean Dale? He didn't need the net.:D:p Too bad you lost that fish. It looked like a great fight and that is cool to get it on video. At least you have some proof of the big one that got away.;)

It definitely sounds like a great time to be out on the water.

16. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Vibees...9 out of 10 times I throw either gold, chrome/chart, or chrome/blue. Pretty universal Ohio colors.

And yes...I believe mitch was lipping a 2+ lb bass when it decided to shake his head and throw that vibee in his thumb...and he was having NO part of our parking lot hook removal remedies :D

17. Great time and great fishing. Thanks for the video Shake. At least a little proof. I was surprised that the jig held as long as it did. It wasn't any bigger than an ice jig. Hope your thumb is ok for casting for salmon later this week newbreed.

Dale-while we were loading the boat I looked in the back of my truck and saw my landing net and said aaww we won't need that fishing for crappies.

Also once I got home I looked at my prop and saw that i had hit something and broke one blade about half off. Gotta watch the depth. I think I did it at the launch.

18. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

LOL.hopefully that doesn't happen to him on my boat.i refuse to leave a hot bite for "minor surgery" when it can be done on the water:D;)
    believe me,it hurts lots worse going in,than coming out:D

19. stilesp

stilesp Fishin Alum

I'm with you misfit....no leaving early on a hot bite. He had 4 good fingers left on that hand.

20. krustydawg

krustydawg KrustyDawg

Let it numb up a little, pour some beer on it, yank it out, pour some more beer on it, then drink several cold beers ! After it goes numb you hardly even feel the removal but man does the blood flow after the hook pops out ! Just think of all the tackle you could have bought with that trip to the ER !:p Just givin' ya hard time.:p Sweet video Brandon.