Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I live near Cleveland area and want to meet a buddy who lives in MI near Detroit to do some ice fishing this year when the ice is ready. We used to fish Lake St. Clair for perch years ago when I lived up there. We are looking to find a few meeting spots in between us in NW Ohio or Lake Erie's W. Basin area. Neither of us have fished the area so we are looking for any recommendations. We have gear mainly for pan fish but can gear up for walleye if need be. Thanks in advance for the advice.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Some marina's might let you fish. State parks along that path would be your best chance. Not many choice areas to target. Pretty boring here in NW Ohio.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I would suggest hitting lake St. Clair. Only "in between" spot I would suggest would be east harbor. Only problem with east harbor is it get beat absolutely to death and in my opinion isn't the fishery it was before they started dredging several years ago. As ress said nw ohio can kinda suck for ice fishing.

·
Jiggin Freak
2,430 Posts
I was going to say East Harbor as well. Whites Landing is another option around that same distance. Always see a few shanties set up along old bay bridge and have been told there is a deeper slot along the old roadway that people catch perch....... never seen it first hand though. Resthaven is the same general area also, but i have never done much good there through the ice. I am convinced there has to be some decent bluegill SOMEWHERE in #8, just never found any with size. Usually catch a few cats up there too.

Other than that, you are stuck grinding away on city upground reservoirs.

·
Set The Hook`
4,210 Posts
Only a few spots really up in our area.....now if Erie freezes thatd be your go-to. Id check out whites landing for some perch over east harbor.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
I've been told by more than one marina manager that the liability for allowing ice fishermen is far too high. Basically....if you see people fishing, it's because they work there or know the owner well.

·
I fish therefore I am!!
759 Posts
If you access a marina via the ice like in east harbor and dont touch the docks. Can anyone really say anything? Whats the difference between that and soft water season in a boat floating in a marina and fishing?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts