close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

western Michigan

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports - Out of State' started by Warpath, Aug 2, 2004.

1. Anybody fish in western Michigan, other than Lake Michigan itself?

My brother lives in Stevensville, which is about a half hour north of South Bend, IN. Wnated to find some bass up there when I travel to see him in the coming weeks. Any websites like this in Michigan?

Eric

2. I fish western Michigan all the time,but quite a bit farther north than where you're talking about.Pretty much all of the drowned rivermouths on the west coast will have super bronzeback action.I fish Muskegon Lake,White Lake and Manistee Lake.All are premier bass fishing.The only SW spot I've fished is the St.Joe River,and I slayed the bass and walleye in there.Most people associate the St.Joe with salmon and trout-big mistake!

3. Full Choke,

Thanks for the website, will check it out right now.

River Walker, as always, thanks for the info. You are the man!!!

Eric

4. There is a good lake near Coloma, MI called Paw Paw Lake. It's about 900 acres, unlimited HP, and there is good bluegill, bass, walleye & pike fishing. I've fished it the last two years during vacation and had decent success. Last year, I did great catching walleye trolling with crankbaits, but it seems that the weeds have grown up quite a bit from 2003 to 2004. I've also caught several LM bass in the 3-4#range. It's a freakin' madhouse on the weekends, but very quiet through the week.

Also, although I've never fished it, I hear the St. Joseph river is a killer walleye fishery.

Good luck

5. Supersize,

Isn't there a golf course right there too? I think I know of the place you are mentioning. I appreciate the info. I remember it isn't but a half hour or so away from my brother's house.

Eric

6. Yes, there is a golf course there. If you go, there are two peninsulas that form a relatively narrow channel. On the west side of that channel, fish the northern point. the water depth eventually goes out to ~40', and I had good success catching both bass & walleye towards the end of the point.

Once again, good luck if you go, and make sure you report back.

7. Thanks again for the info supersize......

I just talked to my brother yesterday about coming up at some point in the very near future. Probably before the end of the month.

I will get back to you on the results of my trip. Do they fish Lake Michigan a lot like we fish Erie? Tubes and so on and so forth?

Eric

8. I don't know if any of you can answer this, but about when does the Salmon run begin? Been thinkin about trying the area around Manistee Lake, but don't know when to make plans for it.

9. Duckhound,the salmon usually start running the rivers in late August,depending on the weather.The middle part of September is normally peak,and the time to be there.

10. Aren't you going then River Walker? Be honest.............HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

11. I'll be there! I'm leaving Sept.19 for 10 days.Salmon and walleye-cannot wait.