close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Western lake Ontario fishing?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports - Out of State' started by Hook N Book, Aug 10, 2004.

1. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

Has anyone fished the western end around Olcott or Wilson areas for the salmon lately??? I'm planning on heading that way towards the end of the month (August). Heard the fleas were starting to die down a bit. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. My brother-in-law is "fish reaper" on here. I know he was up a week or two ago out of Wilson and didn't do too well. He's fishing the LOC in a couple weeks and will be heading up next week I think to pre-fish. He won teh Fall LOC Derby last year.

3. Hook N Book

Thanks Big Daddy,
    Maybe the "Fish Reaper" will post his results after the Tourney. I'm not leaving until the 26th so I'll keep my eyes open. The site below gives some good info but you have to wonder if it's just to attract the tourist $$$$. :D

http://olcottfishing.com

4. I fished the Spring up there out of Niagra and Wilson, did OK. 26 salmon in 2 1/2 days. Haven't been back since.

Usually, in the Fall, I head up to Sodus Bay and go out with "Bite Me" charters. Capt. Larry Hurxthal is a great guy. Lots of fun on the boat, and he'll get you fish. He and his wife also run the Sodus Point Lodge, great accomodations and a real nice place to stay. Didn't make it up this year. With teh increases in health care and property taxes, my dispoable income disappeared FAST.

5. Hook N Book

Big Daddy,
    Thanks for the info and I'll keep the name in mind. Coming from Cincy though, Sodus is just a tad further than I care to run in a four day period. I'll be dragging my boat (approx. 4 tons) from Erie. I like to hit and run thus the name H&B. :D If the weather cooperates and I can get on the lake I'll report the results good or bad ;)

6. Hook and book I am heading up to olcott in the a.m.. I will post back or possibly shoot you an email with any details. It is derby time and depending on who gives me info it may not be available for public knowledge if you know what I mean.

Scott

7. Hook N Book

Thanks PapaScott. Any info would be super.

8. I'm going up to fish the LOC Derby out of Wilson two weeks from today. Let me know how it's going up there!!

9. 1 week ago we caught 50 salmon and steelhead. not many big fish, but we did get a 25 pounder. many in the 15 to 8 lb range. we fished out of point breeze, oak orchard river - just east of olcott

10. Well the fishing was tough for us this weekend. Every time I needed to zig I zagged. We fished fri eve 6 till dark and pulled 3 kings one was a mid 20s and the other were teenagers. All on spoons in 120- 160 fow. Saturday was just nasty it blew like heck from the due north and made it very hard to fish, we managed 2 kings one was 27 other around 8, we also lost a big screamer after it hit a dipsey 260 back it took 300 yards of braid right to the backer knot, which did not make it though the level wind clearly and ended up snapping off my brand new 15 dollar fly rig. Sunday we ran offshore at dark 30. ran 10 miles on water like glass. set up in 480 fow and quickly put 2 in the box both teenagers and lost 2 big trout. The wind started to howl out of the south so we hightailed it in to fish inside and managed 1 more in the teens. It still amazes me how strong the kings are, pure muscle.

Scott

11. Hook N Book

Alright, good deal, PapaScott. Sounds like you had the mother of all salmon with that screamer...boy, do I hate when that happens :D. That's one of the down sides of trolling deep water, tackle lost can get really expensive. It sounds like you had some success with both the spoons and flasher/fly combos. Were you running all dipseys or did you run riggers also? I pretty much have my program mapped out but I'm going to try a few new fly choices and maybe a new flasher or two. :D

12. If I were after a trophy or money fish I would run cut bait, and or revelators or spin doctors inside of 130fow. The fish inside were active early and late so take advantage of getting out early, real early as with the LOC the ramp gets very crowded by 5:30.

Scott

13. we were told up there to only run cut bait if we were after large kings. cut bait will most likey catch less fish but they will be bigger. and the stuff stinks

14. I'm taking KSUFLASH up with me in two weeks. I'll let him deal with the meat rigs. LOL.

My brother in law is going to be up there the next two weeks. He's "fish reaper" on here. I'll post what he tells me.

15. Hook N Book

Well, I did the twin spin and hit Lake Ontario outta of Olcott at 5:30 am on Friday. We didn't leave the harbor until first light since we were informed that there was a bunch of debis in the lake from the big storm that hit earlier in the week, which also scattered the fish. Just my luck, I should have been there a week earlier :rolleyes:
    Anyway, we ran offshore to 500 ft. and setup and trolled for an hour before our first hit...a 5 lb steelie. We worked the 500-530 ft. depth for 4 hours and nothing. We ran back in to 100 ft. in front of the Red barn and fished between 100-160 ft for another hour and zippo.
    We hit it again at daybreak on Sat. in front of the Micro-wave tower. Setup at the 80 ft. range and trolled out to the 220 ft. and got a double at 200 ft. Marked bunches of fish in this area and we boated to Steelies (8 and 11 lbs.).
    Finished the day with a total of seven steelies and one coho. I talked to several other people on the radio and on shore and most said the fishing was tough all week but was starting to pick back up. Best setup was a Mountain dew spin doctor with a green and white fly or white Fish catcher w/cranberry iredesence tape and a green squid 25 ft. back and 22 ft. down on riggers. We only caught one fish off a dipsy with a purple and black NK. No big fish for us but still a blast with the Steelhead.
    We launched out of Hotwaters at 8:00 am Sun. and fished the 31-16 to 32-18 area (just east of the bar). The action started off quickly with the first fish hitting just as I put the second rod in the water. Then it slowed for about an hour but picked back up for the next three hours. Lots of 3-6 lb. fish in the area...our biggest was 8 lbs. for the day. Our best setup was jet 40's back 90 off inline boards with a silverback watermelon Scorpion spoon (large ones).All in all, a good weekend to be on the water. :D