Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys and gals,

I've been fishing Western Lake Erie for 45 years, starting as a kid renting boats with my father and grandfather out of Anchor Point to running my own boats for the last 25 years. I've been thru the pea-soup look back in the 60's thru zebra-mussel clarity of recent years. I've been back on the water seriously for the last 3 years. My wife, son, and I were out again Sunday in the Islands area chasing smallmouth. After fishing, Kelleys, Gull Island Shoal, North Bass, Rattlesnake, Sugar, and other spots, I'm done. The Algae or whatever you call it was horrendous. Running, the boat cut the the green mess and looked real bad. Like parting the green sea. While stopped fishing the water was completely covered by a mat of thick nasty algae. It also had a nasty nasty smell. To the point that it was extremely unpleasant. We had real trouble finding a spot that wasn't repulsive to fish. I've decided that I WILL not fish the Western basin until this is remedied. I'm writing because my passion is fishing and in western Lake erie in particular since this is where I live. Sunday was a picture perfect day for the Lake and we could hardly bare to look at it any longer. The amazing thing to me was the extreme lack of boats on the water for such a day. I realize that the price of gas and the economy in general has put a dent in pleasure boating, but I am done with the Lake as it is. I will go to that state to the North until something is done.

I don't pretend to have the answers as to why this is occurring, but I know what is being accused. As a boater and long time user of western lake erie I am extremely concerned for her future. I don't LIVE on the Lake, but if I did I would be raising holy hell to protect my investment. I along with others before me urge all those concerned to write or email whomever their respective representatives are to make sure they are AWARE of what is becoming of one of our my prized possessions.

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
Look into the situation at Grand Lake St Marys. Talk about property values being killed. The the toxic algea there is the worst in the state. The state said no cotact with the water.

The cool nights and dropping water temps will start the dispersal, and things should improve.

I too am a life long Erie guy and I remenmber it being worse before the 1st phosphate ban years ago.

Warm fertile lakes are going to have algea. It's the toxic types that can cause big time problems (like the red tides in Florida or the blue green like in St Marys)

You might think about going east, instead of banning yourself from the lake and taking your money north.

Good luck and good fishing.

·
Registered
168 Posts
The algae bloom is coming to an end- unless we get some warm weather. This year was real bad, about 3-4 times worse than other year since the blooms started returning in the mid 1990s. We do not have a good comparison to the blooms in 1960s, but Lake Erie is showing signs of headed back in that direction.

·
Registered
667 Posts
The algae bloom is coming to an end- unless we get some warm weather. This year was real bad, about 3-4 times worse than other year since the blooms started returning in the mid 1990s. We do not have a good comparison to the blooms in 1960s, but Lake Erie is showing signs of headed back in that direction.
The end can't come fast enough. Wed night coming in south of w. sister was the worst I saw this year. Actually looked like my boat was throwing olive green paint out each side. Not one single bit of white water coming off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts