Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Cowboy Charters
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished Yesterday out of Meinke's. Didn't have to run far for the fish. Just a mile north of the water intake in about 24 FOW. Took 4 the first hour drifting harnesses and throwing mayflie rigs. Gold was the ticket. Then the wind died down to nothing so we started to troll, took 16 (threw 2 back, one short fish and one over our limit). Trolling was definitly the program today. Crankbaits on boards took most fish. Gold/red little ripper and a blue Shadrap about 180ft back took most fish. Jet #20 125 back with spoons took some fish. Monkey Puke was the hottest color for the spoon.

What a great day on the water. No Big Fish, all 19-23. Great eaters.

Good Luck to all and be safe.

·
Administrator
9,450 Posts
Fished further out than you, more towards the gravel pit. Like you we started drifting/casting and only took 3. Broke out the gear and got 5 more trolling and lost a big one due to the leader knot breaking.

Seemed the fish were in small pods... if you were lucky enough to find them things were good. Listening to the radio, the guys over in Michigan seemed like they found some schooled up off of Toledo Beach.

Rutty, you get a radio yet??

·
Cowboy Charters
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fished further out than you, more towards the gravel pit. Like you we started drifting/casting and only took 3. Broke out the gear and got 5 more trolling and lost a big one due to the leader knot breaking.

Seemed the fish were in small pods... if you were lucky enough to find them things were good. Listening to the radio, the guys over in Michigan seemed like they found some schooled up off of Toledo Beach.

Rutty, you get a radio yet??

You are right about the small pods, we would troll over one spot and the rods were non stop action, then we would troll for a 1/2 mile or so and only pick one or two up, then we would troll over the same spot were we hid them and the rods would go crazy again. I ended up being able to find 2 small pods that produced fish every time we went through them without all the drifting boats around.

I got a radio, just don't have the antenna for it yet. Need to go pick one up. I leave for Tenn. to fish on Friday for a week, hopefully will have it installed by then.

P.S. I forgot to mention the speed in the first post. 2.4-2.7 mph seemed to be the best for us.

·
Registered
241 Posts
We fished that area also Monday afternoon (closer to Little Cedar Point) and caught 14 in about 4 hours. The fish are definately schooled up in little pods. We caught 11 in one drift, 3 in another, and nothing in 2 drifts. Gold was the hot color for us. Nice fish. Later.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts