Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
June 16, 2004 (Wednesday) We went out this morning at 7AM trying to beat the rain (did not work) and started a mile west of NW Reef, trolled northwest toward G – can location on the boarder (no longer there most all boarder markers have been removed). Ran same program, dipsy’s and jet 30s pulling spoons. We got our limits by 12:30PM, nice sized walleye in the 17 to 23 inch range. Best spoons were PA’s red snapper, bull shark and blue marlin along with a Michigan Stinger scorpion bronze with a bloody nose; I can’t keep up with all the names. The dipsy’s pulled most of the fish, for some reason I can’t figure out, the jet 30s only got 3 of the 24 walleye, they have been taking the majority up to now. About the time we got in it started raining and we managed to get soaked while cleaning the fish. It appears to me that the storm Tuesday afternoon move the schools north and west, with the best spot being between the F and G can locations. Perch fishermen were working just (1/2 to ¾ miles) of Green Island, no idea how the were doing but there was a small pack of boats as we came in.

dean

www.cliftond.com

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
July 17, 2004 (Thursday) Left the dock at about 7:30AM this morning, got rained on three times before reaching Northwest Reef, I think we about wore out a set of rain gear putting it on an taking it off. There were some walleye marks among all the mayfly clouds just east of the reef. We trolled north with the waves to the Canadian boarder and back several times and ended up limiting about 12:30PM. We had to run the jet 30s back 100 to 120 feet to get into the walleye, the dipsy’s were back #1 – 55 feet and #3 - 75 feet. These setting should be very near 30 feet deep and we were in 32 feet of water. A fairly large pack of charters and others were off F-can on the Canadian boarder. When I talk about a Canadian Boarder can I an talking about where they used to be, they are no longer there but the locations are still used as land marks or in this case “lake marks”. A few boats were off Green Island to the west a mile or so perch fishing. The perch have been slow of late, as soon as I get any good reports I will include it here.

NOTE; When I use the term #1 dipsy back 55 feet I mean the closest in dipsy set at the #1 setting and a #3 dipsy set at 75 feet might be shown as #3 dipsy – 75. Pay attention, there will be a test later J.

·
Premium Member
10,898 Posts
Dean,

We really appreciate you and the information that you provide for us. Your information is first rate and a must read for anyone heading west of the islands to fish Erie.

thanks,
Kim

·
ORIGINAL TEAM OGF
5,535 Posts
Without a doubt buddy!
Hands down..the most reliable info there is for the western basin!
Seeing your posts brought a smile to my face.
Thanks!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
June 21, 2004 (Monday) The weekend was mostly tough for most folks with waves wind and mayflies being most of the problem along with the walleye being on the move in the western basin.

Today there are several charters working out around G-can on the border, they are taking some walleye but it is still slow. Perch fishermen are doing better off Marblehead, east of Kelley’s Island and off Green Island. They are having to sort through many smaller ones but are managing to take limits of 9 to 11 inch perch. The West Sister / turn around buoy area yielded some walleye this weekend but it was slow. There was a tournament at Lorain yesterday, which was also very slow with many folks not getting any walleye. It is my second hand understanding that the folks that did catch fish made a very long run toward Cleveland about 30 miles or so.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts