close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Westbranch Friday

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by BIGDADDYDB, Apr 19, 2008.

1. :S Wasn't there at great times but fished from about 11-3 yesterday and caught nothing....we tried a few sheltered spots on the north side east of R.S. rd 58 degrees nothing in the 3-5ft deep wood...went west marked a few fish as always by the bridge but didn't stop to fish. Fished trees in all depths with minnows, jigs, tubes,spinners, spinners w/minnows, jigs with tubes, tubes with spinners...you get the picture. Fished deep on stuff I marked on the channel. Found a downed tree where the branches landed in 11 ft....nothing. Did finanlly get the boat out and running and the new sonar worked great. Water temp only reads off the trolling motor so when I had that ducer on I found temps from 53-59. Any tips.........

2. Don't feel bad I fished W.B. friday same here....A lot of boats out there ...my guess a lot of crappie fishermen....The boats were moving all over the place .. just looking for the fish...Talked to three different fishermen and no one was having any luck....fished from 9A.M. to 4:30 P.M. caught three little crappies....I hope someone other than myself saw it ....a nice Northern floating dead in the water West side of R.S.R. ...had to be atleast 34 to 36 in.
    What got me was not marking any fish anywhere...Had both finders on....Water might still be to cold...Soon ....There still there they didn't pack there bags and move out....Next time....
    :confused: GOOD FISHING GUYS

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015

3. Fished WB yesterday 3-8 for crappies. Found fish all over the lake, but never more than a few at any one spot. Ended up with 18 fish that where in the 9"-13" and many smaller. I went thru a lot of jigs and bobbers, the fish where TIGHT in the wood and we mainly fished in 1-2 feet of water or right off the shore. Not a bad day all and all. I had water temps from 58-60.5 thruout the day.

4. How do you guys fish that skinny water? Just put the jig a couple inches below the bobber and put it in the trees or what? I tried to get my daughter some crappie yesterday and we didn't have any luck at all. That was the first time I ever targeted crappie and feel bad Alex didn't catch any.

5. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

I fished from 7:30 to about 1:30 Saturday. Ended up with about a dozen crappie 9"-12" and two northern pike about 20". Lost a nice white bass about 15" at the boat.

The same thing with us except I use tru turn crappie hooks instead of jigs.
    We searched and searched until we finally found them.
    The two people I fished with never fished before. The wife caught her first fish, an pike, on my flippy Ugly Stick ultralight with 4lb line. That pole was practically wrapped around the boat!

Yep. Dip it in the trees. If you're not losing hooks, your not in the right place.
    Nice to meet you Madmac and MikeC.

6. Same thing for me. Small jig 12"-20" under a slip float. Sometimes it took ten tosses to hit the right spot, but when you did the bobber dove before it would hit the water. In a few spots I was set deeper than the water and they picked it off the bottom. It was a fun day. I had someone with me that had never fished from a boat before and he had a good time. With the water temps the Ski's should be turning on soon. I like to see a bit more weeks before I start at WB. I have never had early luck there for muskies or eyes for that matter. May and june are my months.

7. Have any of you guys fished say from 2 P.M. till Dark for crappies at WB ...We usualy get there at 7 A.M. and leave 5 or 6 P.M....I keep saying I am going to try it in the Afternoon till Dark....Give me some feedback if you can.
    :C ....GOOD FISHING GUYS....
    P.S. Did any of you members see that idiot in the bass boat come flying up the no wake zone from rock springs rd. to knapp rd. around 3 or 3:30 friday.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  8. Nice to finally meet you too Mike. MikeC also. Thanks for the info guys. Do they stay that tight all Spring? I'm having a hard time picturing my youngest fishing inside the bushes.

9. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

I usually prefer to stay till 11:00 or midnight. The walleye bite always seem to pick up about an hour before sunset till about a half hour after.
    It's too hard dipping trees for crappie in the dark. They seem to come out and you can catch them near cover instead of IN the cover when dark. After we get to June they won't be in the shallow trees anyways (even if we have water levels that high still:p ).
    I usually fish for walleye or catfish after dark come summertime.
    Plus there's the added bonus that the pleasure boaters are off the lake after dark and it's so nice and peaceful and quiet.

Last year there were two guys in a small funky looking boat that always launched at the RS ramp and went directly to the RS bridge right at dusk. By the time it got dark they were all set up with a fluorescent green tube. They would sit under the bridge till late night catching crappie. They seem to congregate under the bridge and you could actually catch them.
    You can mark them during the day but they don't seem to bite.
    I got my 24" fluorescent green tube last week from my Christmas gift card.
    Can't wait to try it out this week under the bridge.

Not always. But I usually catch them in or close to some kind of cover. West Branch, to me, is one of those reservoirs that have a lot of dead water. To find the bass, walleye or crappie you have to find some kind of structure whether it's dropoffs, weedbeds, trees, sunken islands, whatever. If you're not on structure it's difficult to catch fish.

10. Saw an interesting segment on crappie on a recent In Fisherman show on Outdoor Network. They were fishing "basins"-through the ice. Doug Stange said they relate to deeper water "basins"(need not have any identifiable structure-just deeper) when not in the wood spawning. Could be the middle of a bay or deeper drops in the main lake, just out from the shallower water area. Something as simple as a fast moving cold front is all it takes to make them move out into these "basins". Seems to make sense. Next time I go crappie fishing and they're not where they're suppose to be, I'm looking for the nearest "basin" and marks on the finder!!

11. U GUYS SHOULD TRY BERLIN IT IS THE BEST LAKE FOR ANY FISH BECAUSE OF ALL THE SNAGGS. i FISHED THERE SUNDAY AND CAUGHT 37 CRAPPIES AND 4 WALEYE ONE WAS 25 INCHS AND THEYWOULD NOT HIT MINNOWS I WAS USEING A SLERPPY PINK AND TBE JIGS. SOME PARTS OF THE LAKE IS 62 DEGRESS AND THEY R GETING READY TO SPAWN. SO GOOD LUCK.

12. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

Crappie Killer, Anytime you want to give a guided tour of Berlin let me know and we can meet anywhere on the lake. I only been on Berlin once in my boat and a few times in my kayak up in the Price St/Greenbower St areas.
    There was an area off limits up there because of an eagle nest. It looked like crappie heaven with all the flooded willows.

I'm taking another half day vacation today to soak up the sun and to enjoy the peace and solitude. Be on WB by 2:00 at the latest. Anyone going to be out there?

13. Have you guys ever had any trouble at the West Branch ramps or on the water after 11:00pm? I think the Portage County Sheriffs have been patrolling the area. Where can you launch/trailer your boat after 11:00pm. If the park closes a 11:00pm; what time does it open?

14. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

No. I never had any trouble. Either main launches are fine to keep the truck and trailer.
    I've been there all night or came in off the lake at 3 or 4AM. I just park the vehicle under the lights or in the middle of the parking lot where I can see it from the lake.
    As long as you're fishing and not sitting in a parked car doing something you shouldn't be doing there;), the rangers shouldn't give you any problems whatsoever.

I never seen the sheriff out there but that would make me happy to see them out there in the middle of the night.

15. As Lewzer said you can stay as long as you want but you have to be fishing. Either from shore or boat.