Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Administrator
9,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SAturday 6/13... Not great, but not bad either.
8.5 miles out of Turtle Creek North to North East of West Sister trolling meat.
Pink Panties, Chicken Wing, Red Tail Chub. 30-35 back, behind 2oz inline weights.
Boated 7 lost 4 with no throwbacks.
Somebody forgot to take out the trash... it was all over.

Happy Hooker blade, our go-to color all last year and this was a real whore yesterday... got everything BUT walleye.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Glad someone got them, Got the skunk on Fri. and one eye on Sat. about a five gallon bucket of WP each day and 2 five gallon buckets of SH both days. I was up on the Canadian line close to your area fished and I worked my way east from there along the boarder, I logged over 12hrs and 30 miles on sat.
The fish cleaning station was dry at our marina at Paradise Acres both days, Seems like evey one at our marina had a hard time this wk end. Lots of great mrks but no biters. There were alot of fish between Crib and Niagra both days but couldn't get them to fire. Harness's, spoons and cranks all failed. Had a very weak to moderate Mayfly hatch over the two days also.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
KaGee what time were you fishing yesterday? We were kinda between the islands,lots of marks out there,slow fishing, hit 4 pretty fast then they quit. Needed to be about 3-4 miles nw of our spot.

·
Administrator
9,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
KaGee what time were you fishing yesterday? We were kinda between the islands,lots of marks out there,slow fishing, hit 4 pretty fast then they quit. Needed to be about 3-4 miles nw of our spot.
Terry we were out there from 8:30 until 2:00.

I heard you once on the radio, however, I let Rebel's buddy Pat pilot for most the day while I got to fish. All our fish were spread out throughout the day and no fire drills :( .

Wasn't much activity at the Turtle Creek cleaning station either.

BTW... a lot of big black smudge marks occasionally on the sonar... looks like the mayfly hatch is underway.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Went out today for 5 hours, tried everything... :S .... went from SW of the island all the way to the NE.... trolled, drifted....Good marks but: nothing... from the talk on the radio, only a few were catching and they werent givin up much info. bad spring start for me... might go back to perchin, thats when i caught my last walleye!

I need some more info on some dipsy rigs, if anyone is using them.... How long of a leader for various lures (spoons, harness', mayfly rigs, cranks) some settings and the such.... Also i have some miny dipseys, they any good for the lake? I don't have any info for dive depths on these as they didn't come w/ any.... Thanks MD

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
4,760 Posts
Its slow everywhere on the west end

We fished kellys and PIB areas the last two days,

Kelleys today was SLOW for everyone
It was so bad we took aa 13 mile run from the dock to the border which only produced one fish...
The SE corner pack wasn't doing anything either, only good thing about today was bringing in a 6-7lber...

Caught fish on everything, BB's, Spoons/Jets, Inlines

The PIB/Rattlesnake Greene area SUCKED

·
Banned
899 Posts
Well you guys were right it was a tough weekend for alot of people even the big charters papa smurf sea breeze and the bunch from wild wings.but on a positive note a couple of charters out of fenwick actually got limits northeast by west reef in that area it's a long 15 mile run up there and the fish are scattered at best but they are in the area and can be caught casting and trolling also but you got to use j-7,j9,killer bees and anything else you can pack in the boat because you'll need it all they dont bite one thing for long.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Buddy of mine went out of Sterling and fished N/NW of W Sister and went home with 3 tickets and 10 throw backs plus a bonus Steelie. Not sure of the exact program (he just txt me) but I am sure he was running stingers, scorpions and harnesses off mini disks. He is fishing way north of where the pack has been off W Sister and is about a good 15 miles at least from Anchor Point. I actually asked him if it was Ca waters and he said no but last weekend he boated 24 and was the farthest boat north.
Will post the program when I talk to him.

·
gray panther
701 Posts
Well you guys were right it was a tough weekend for alot of people even the big charters papa smurf sea breeze and the bunch from wild wings.but on a positive note a couple of charters out of fenwick actually got limits northeast by west reef in that area it's a long 15 mile run up there and the fish are scattered at best but they are in the area and can be caught casting and trolling also but you got to use j-7,j9,killer bees and anything else you can pack in the boat because you'll need it all they dont bite one thing for long.
On another positive note I know several of the bunch out of Wild Wings who got limits Sat. up NE trolling spoons. Today was a different story!

·
Banned
1,181 Posts
Was all over between the islands and some parts of canada. Drifted all day got one 24 incher casting and about 10 perch that have already been eatin. Tough day we will see what happens through wednesday.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Pulled 28 on Sat. slow early but in the afternoon we ran spoons 140 back of 30 jets and they went pretty good. Sunday slow early same program and about 1PM they got going real good for us on the same program and we finished with 40. All in West Sister area.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I have done well in the past casting in close when the mayflies are hatching. Anybody else do this, as shallow as 11fow . Seems like they make a movein agian when the bugs are poppin'. Deal with alot of trash but if you wanna sort through them:confused:

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Thanks Reel Bad Habit for the report and I think that if you go out in the afternoon your catch rate goes up. Seems like they gorge themselves all night and start to get hungry again in the afternoon and evening. I know I've had better luck fishing late during the hatch.I've also had good luck splash casting erie dearies the last hour or 2 before dark. Bottom line as Captain Tony said, if it ain't working try something else! It's a challenge during mayflys.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Fished all day Saturday took 3 fish in the morning and then Started to drift when the wind picked up still nothing but trash fish. Put the boards back out and ended up with 16 nice fish and lost 5 at the boat. Had about 12 fish that we throwed back at 14 inches. Was fishing 14 miles out inbetween North Bass and West Sistern. Most fish came after 4 pm. Pulling spoons and 40 jets at 65-85 back in 33 ft of water.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Thanks for the posts guys
Weekend out of Turtle Creek

Friday out of TC north east of WS we pulled 7 fish on a mix of setups
20 jets 125 back 30 jet 95 with stingers chicken wing, nascar, and blue veggies
seem to be the favorites 1.7 - 2.1 mph

Saturday 1 fish lots of trash same area

What was strange we lost a lot of fish on Saturday they would be there and come unhooked the one we did get the spoon just fell out in the net
Friday seem to be lucky getting the fish in boat but spoons wouldn't be hooked up :confused: any help on what I'm doing wrong pretty new at this trolling thing.

As others mentioned about the mayflys we charted large clouds all over that area some had fish under them some didn't
were we seeing the mayflys?

Thanks for all the help
Geowol

1 - 20 of 25 Posts