close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

West Lafayette,IN ????

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by exexec, Aug 22, 2005.

1. I am thinking about going over for the Perdue vs Akron U. game in sept. I can't seem to find much to do over there. Anyone who has some knowledge of that area please let me know what activities are available such as FISHING or good sightsto see.

2. Not a whole lot to see there -- just a typical college town. The wabash river runs thru there, but I haven't talked to many who have fished there. More fish wildcat creek for smallmouth, which is a trib of the wabash. You can drive around two hours north to fish the lake Michigan piers (from Gary to Michigan City) or the creeks (trail, salt, st. Joe) for salmon and steelhead trout. If you are hauling a boat, the lakes near Monticello (a bit north and east of Lafayette) and spillways below are good for stripers/hybrids that time of year.

If you play golf, the Purdue Univ golf course (Kampen) is worth playing. A professional-level golf course that doesn't break you to play there. Arrive early for the game, since parking is normally a pain there.

3. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

good thing perdue sucks this year!

4. I graduated from Purdue in 1983 and haven't been back to the campus in 20 years. I worked on one of the research farms so I had access to a nice pond where I did most of my fishing.

When I fished public water I usually fished the tailwaters of Lake Freeman which was near Monticello. There is a county park (Fort Ouiatenon) on the Wabash River just SW of campus which may offer some fishing opportunities also. This link for the Fort also lists some other county parks which may allow fishing: http://www.tippecanoe.in.gov/parks/division.asp?fDD=17-59

I also went to France Park once to swim. Everyone would jump off the cliffs into the quarry. It was good for a drowning or two every year and quite a few injuries. It wasn't exactly legal back then so I'm sure they really frown on it now. You can fish there when the beach is closed and I guess there are hiking trails and other things to do. http://www.francepark.com/

If I remember anything else I'll let you know.