West Branch

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Bassfisher130, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Bassfisher130

Bassfisher130 Love to fish with friends

A couple of my friends and I were thinking about heading up to West Branch to fish for some muskie. I just wanted to know how thats going so far and if it's worth it. If you happen to know where they are tell me and what to use.

Thanks

2. i was up at west branch for the first time in over a year today. i saw some freakish muskie trolling the shallows in the back of j lake. they were crushing baitfish. they looked like sharks. i was bass fishing and did'nt want to risk losing a lucky craft so i let them be.

3. fish the bays,key points on the lake,humps,the bathing beach.old jay lake always has some in there.bigger isnt always better to use at west branch in the spring,ive taken some big muskie in the spring there using smaller baits in may.firetiger and chartreuse,or something with a flash.

4. Whaler

Whaler Whaler

They are evrywhere out there and right now most are in shallow water.

5. Bassfisher130

Thanks for the help. I hope I do okay. Dont want to fish all day and get nothing. So I'll be heading up and I'll give my buddies the news.

6. It would be a good idea to have a rubber glove, hook cutters, long needle nose pliers and a big net. Try to unhook the fish while it's in the net. Good luck and tell us how you do.

7. Hey Ya'll i was just wondering where Jay Lake is?

8. Jay lake is the big bay sraight across the lake from the swim beach. Never had much luck there. Silver creek was better for me. Just around from the west end of the swim beach.

9. alright thanks, another ? for ya'll is, do you guys have any tips for shore fisherman to help them catch more muskie and walleye? I've never really had any luck with walleye and never caught a muskie before.

10. Yea, wear cammy lay low and sneak up on em in the shallows, water is pretty stained right now so you'll not to be too stealthy.

11. Bassfisher130

Wow your advice really helped! I caught 43, 39, and 45 inch muskies. Just in the shallows I started of with a marabu jig and hit two the 43 and 39, then switched to spinners (varitey) didn't catch anyhting then hit the jay with the marabu jig and caught the 45. My buddies caught 5: Stan- 37 & 40 inchers and Terry- 46 & 37 inchers.

12. MuskieJim

MuskieJim Trophy Tamer

Wow, that's a heck of a day! 8 muskies boated in your first outing at West Branch!?????? Some of the best muskie guys I know couldn't have a day like that! Sounds extremely rare and questionable for a first timer at WB. But hey, it could happen...... I guess.....maybe.........were you by any chance using dynamite for bait?

13. esox62

esox62 BORN TOO LATE

yeah you funny...please.

14. Bassfisher130

Well even we were amazed it must have been the combination of were we were and the kind of lures we were using. Plus we could have caught the same ones over again since we were not taking the most accurate of measurements. Also try switching around from jay lake to thew actual west branch resivior.