Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit the branch this am. A musky and alot of small mouths with a few white bass. The lake is getting alot of pressure. 2 guys in a lund boat fishing for musky. Right by me with big musky lures. Bam I get one on a rooster tail. Lol o yeah and acouple white bass.

Attachments

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man! I just left the lake alot of people. One guy asked what I was catching them on . I told him a pink 1/4 oz rooster tail. He said no what did I catch the musky on. I told him same thing. Pink rooster. He got pissed and called me a liar. Really I'm not a story telling fish guy I told him. He got pissed and I packed up and said to him as I was leaving. Sorry man you cant catch a musky with your big musky lures! It's my 2nd with lite gear in 2 wks. Learn how to fish them and walked away. Damn man the musky was only 27 inches. You cant catch them in the branch you should go elsewhere. He was pissed mouthing of as I walked to my car! Lol

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
**** lol yep. Thought they got posted. Will post when the misses gets back with her phone! Sorry about that guys

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Did a drive to west branch with plans on catfishing this evening, OMG people on top of people , went down knapp rd and couldn’t believe it, three cars along the road next to the bridge parked and fishing over the railing, lawn chairs set up. Gads.. any spot I wanted to fish was filled up, I should have known better!! Well weekdays are the best bet now. To a degree..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
Thanks man! I just left the lake alot of people. One guy asked what I was catching them on . I told him a pink 1/4 oz rooster tail. He said no what did I catch the musky on. I told him same thing. Pink rooster. He got pissed and called me a liar. Really I'm not a story telling fish guy I told him. He got pissed and I packed up and said to him as I was leaving. Sorry man you cant catch a musky with your big musky lures! It's my 2nd with lite gear in 2 wks. Learn how to fish them and walked away. Damn man the musky was only 27 inches. You cant catch them in the branch you should go elsewhere. He was pissed mouthing of as I walked to my car! Lol
Them roostertails catch about anything that swims!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Same thing this morning. People everywhere . Knapp rd is ridiculous anymore. These people are leaving trash everywhere. I have fished the branch over 20 yrs .its my back yard and I have never seen 90 % of these people fishing in that area . I fish the branch 6 days a wk. Hell I sleep out there fishing at night half the time and I have never seen it this crowded . Alot of pressure in that area for no reason. I know that whole lake like the back of my hand. I know spots that you have to walk along ways thru brush to get to and some of these people follow me to the area. The one guy said you must be catching or you wouldn't be way out here. I said no I'm out here to get away from you scrubs. I like the idea of people picking up the sport of fishing but you have to have some respect and morals. Dont fish on top of someone find your own spot . Pick up your trash. Know your catch limits and size limits of the species your fishing etc. I see alot of regulars that I have seen fishing for yrs out there. I stay away from them and let them do their thing. Half the time they never see me because I'm in the brush watching them while I'm fishing and they all pick the trash up . These people today are savages no respect. I mean who parks on the road and gets out and fishes. Right in the road? Ignorant. Week days is gonna be it. The sheriff needs to go out there and give these people hell for parking in the street. Tell them what idiots the are.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Tim I fish west branch regularly as well. Been fishing it few times a week for years. I’ve always chose it because it never seemed to get as much fishing pressure as some of the other lakes. It gets warm every year and pleasure boaters come out. This year isn’t a normal year but I’m still amazed at the amount of people fishing shore and boat this year. I normally hit shore areas early on before I bring out boat. I shore fished one time this year. Everytime I attempted it this year I seen the crowds and turned around. I saw a guy fishing off Knapp rd bridge few weeks ago. Vehicle wasn’t pulled over even a little bit. Like he parked smack dab in lane and started fishing. I may receive some backlash for saying it but I don’t like seeing so many people fishing. Mosquito causeway is perfect example why, people come in and trash the place and keep limit after limit of anything they can keep. Our wildlife officers were understaffed and overwhelmed before this wave of people hit the lakes. I know it helps keep the sport alive and funding resources. At what cost with these weekend warrior fishermen coming trashing places and keeping whatever. I know not all are like that but really makes nervous if you follow any of the Facebook fishing pages. I saw an argument the other day that didn’t affect a fishery if people kept 7 8 9 inch walleye because lake was stocked and they don’t naturally reproduce anyways. Sorry Tim, didn’t mean to hijack your thread, just venting a bit I guess. Just worried what everyday fishermen might be left with in few years if this trend continues.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tim I fish west branch regularly as well. Been fishing it few times a week for years. I’ve always chose it because it never seemed to get as much fishing pressure as some of the other lakes. It gets warm every year and pleasure boaters come out. This year isn’t a normal year but I’m still amazed at the amount of people fishing shore and boat this year. I normally hit shore areas early on before I bring out boat. I shore fished one time this year. Everytime I attempted it this year I seen the crowds and turned around. I saw a guy fishing off Knapp rd bridge few weeks ago. Vehicle wasn’t pulled over even a little bit. Like he parked smack dab in lane and started fishing. I may receive some backlash for saying it but I don’t like seeing so many people fishing. Mosquito causeway is perfect example why, people come in and trash the place and keep limit after limit of anything they can keep. Our wildlife officers were understaffed and overwhelmed before this wave of people hit the lakes. I know it helps keep the sport alive and funding resources. At what cost with these weekend warrior fishermen coming trashing places and keeping whatever. I know not all are like that but really makes nervous if you follow any of the Facebook fishing pages. I saw an argument the other day that didn’t affect a fishery if people kept 7 8 9 inch walleye because lake was stocked and they don’t naturally reproduce anyways. Sorry Tim, didn’t mean to hijack your thread, just venting a bit I guess. Just worried what everyday fishermen might be left with in few years if this trend continues.
Hey man I agree with you 100%. I keep very few if any fish. I might keep some good perch if I can find them! YUM!!! And an occasional walleye. Got to be around 18 to 22 inches. Who in their right mind keep an eye that small? The trash thing really gets me to the core. For some reason a part of the population thinks it ok to throw their trash on the ground. These people that choose to do this are trash themselves! Do they trash their homes like that as well? I dont get it at all. I mean are people that dumb and dont realize the earth is all of ours home? Everyone who uses our state parks, county parks, federal parks whatever need to show respect to our wildlife and wilderness by not polluting the ground with the dumb beer cans, bags etc. Its just that simple! Period no excuses. You bring it in you take it out! There should be heavy fines for getting caught doing it . Its definitely a weird year. It didnt help that these weekend warriors started coming to all the inland lakes to fish as early as march? 90 % of these people never ever ever fish anywhere near that early. I talked to one guy fishing for crappie first wk march for crappie in 2 ft of water. West of rock spring. The water was 40 degrees. I know in a very rare occasion it could happen that they come to that shallow of water in 40 degree water. Extremely rare. Asked him he has caught anything? Nope not even a bite , he said. Now the lakes are all pressured this early. Crazy. If you have some honey holes that you know no one or very few people have fished keep it to yourselves. Or you'll have 20 people with their baby poles trying to fish it.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Well I figure it this way, it’s not going to get any better now, so time to adjust, get out earlier or way later, rainy days better . When wading never saw another person got in and out of my spot unseen. Don’t need giving them any ideas, I don’t mind sharing info , But I draw the line .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
235 Posts
I’ve been fishing late evening into middle of night when I can get out. I’ve never been much of night fishermen because of my work schedule and I just don’t function well when I don’t get enough sleep. It’s just been the only time lake isn’t super busy recently. I think I’ve kept right around 20 crappie for freezer this year, I’ve without a doubt caught a few hundred. I won’t even hit my spots with boats nearby. Made that mistake about two weeks ago, ran to ramp to pick up buddy after catching some fish with few boats lurking by. Came back to find two boats and kayak right where I was. I’m not that upset, I don’t own the lake or even think that way. I left and it was fair game. Just to see them all pack into small area I was fishing made me laugh because i somehow knew one of the boats I had seen nearby would be there but didn’t expect all of them lol it is what it is and as snag said we’ll have to adapt. May have to get back to some pond fishing, been a few years since I hit any of em

1 - 18 of 18 Posts