close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

West Branch

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by icemanohio, Feb 2, 2005.

1. I am new to Ice fishing. I was wondering how the ice was at West Branch and where to fish there. Also how is fishing out there. I am taking my son out there Saturday, He is really excited, It is his second time going on the ice ( first time he caught nothing) and I would like to see him catch something.

Thanks for any replies and info.
    Matt

2. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

hi ice man, welcome aboard the site!

there is a sub-forum for ice fishing called "hard water discussions"....scroll down on the main page to get to it.

havent heard much about west branch so far....or at all?

if i could suggest a general tactic for the youngster....find some shallower weedy water and target bluegill....should give him some fun times... :)

3. Ice fishing can be a cruel game if you're not catching fish. Too many fishless trips can really leave a bad taste. A large public fishing area unless you know it well is not a good place to introduce Ice fishing. Fish this time of year can be hard to find and sometimes harder to catch even if you find them. Your best bet for keeping your son interested in ice fishing is to take him to a private PONDwhere he can catch lots of fish and get the feel for some real action on the ice. Once he's hooked then broaden his horizons. Good luck and BE SAFE

4. That's good advice. Even Mogadore would be better to ice fish on than WB with a youngster. WB has been relunctantly giving up a very few fish-average time between hits is 3 hours by my count. Way too slo-o-o-w for Jr.