Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

West Branch

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Reel Lady, Jul 6, 2004.

1. Reel Lady

Reel Lady Dreams DO come true!

Ok... I give up :confused: What is the trick to catching fish... ANY fish at West Branch????
    After about 5 hours of invested fishing time, the kids were the only ones to catch any fish! They were fishing with those light up bobbers and a worm and caught 1 crappie, and one small channel cat. Rob and I prefer to use artificial lures, but had zero success (or bites!)
    If anyone has any suggestions on the "wheres, hows, whats and whens" of West Branch, we'd love to hear from you!
  2. I usually only crappie fish there in the Spring.

I know they get good cats and the occasional striper near the Rock Spring Rd bridge along the channel. I also know that thousands of gills school up there under the bridge in the summer time.

I'd look for deep rocky points, or deep wood. West Branch has a lot of structure, so the fish have a lot of places to go and hide. You just need to figure them out. Hope you can. I only know what works there in the Spring.

3. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

try deep wood 12-20 foot for crappies and rocks on dropoffs for walleyes jigs and minnows tough lake to fish........jim
  4. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

What kind of fish finder do you guys have?

How experienced at fishing are you and Rob?
  5. bassmastermjb

bassmastermjb The Lucky One

I saw more limits of walleye and coolers of slab crappies this weekend than I could count.The guys were stopping in to my fishing sale to buy more lures after their day at West Branch.I was selling beetle spins by the dozens and Baby 1- lures by the handful.The walleye were all really nice in the 2 1/2-4lb range with some bigger.They were trolling Manns Baby 1 minus lures and yellow or chartruese beetle spins.Not many people would think of trolling beetle spins for walleye but they work very well.They're also one of my all-time favorite lures..........Mark
  6. Going after crappies, maybe walleye. Will try some of the suggestions mentioned here. Putting in around 6 or 7am at Rock Spring Rd. Probably going to make a full day of it. I'll be in a white/blue Glastron tri-hull with an Evinrude on it. If you see me stop by and say Hi.

7. Trolled for a while in the am, with no luck on the 'eyes. Switched up and started crappie fishing. Got a bunch of dinks and 4 keepers, one 15" largemouth. Crappies were tight on wood with access to deeper water close by. Anyone else been out there this weekend?

8. Mark.....
    Just wondered what method are they using to troll beetle spins and how deep!!! Thanks in advance!!!! Stan ;)
  9. Your best bet would be to jig some shrimp, raw crawfish, and shiners... or slip bobber fish 5'-7' deep about ten feet out from the shore of the dam I was trying to keep it right where the drop off is. Best times would probably be 6 am-8am and 7pm-12am. Last thursday I caught 2 tiger muskie (about 24" each) and a 30" striper on a slip bobbin shiner. My buddy caught 2 nice channel cats off shrimp and cut perch... he was casting about 35 yards out from the shore.

With lure fishing... I'd go to the northeast coves of westbranch and use crankbaits around fallen trees. This may only work in the middle of the week because of all the sportboating making the water murky. Be careful because you may get ahold of a fish there that is to hard to handle even with medium tackle. Hope you know what the branch is famous for.
  10. Well a buddy of mine and I went and caught our own suckers... we also used shiners off the rocks of the dam at the branch. The water was down about 3-4 feet and we didn't get one bite all night. I think maybe the fish moved deeper in the lake.
  11. bassmastermjb

bassmastermjb The Lucky One

The guys I talked to that were catching the walleye were looking for the schooling shad on West Branch.They were trolling Baby 1- and beetle spins around the outside edges of the schools the walleye were feeding on.I know how easy those schools spook when you get close, so I'm sure they were not trolling right on them, but close enough not to spook them.Hope this helps you out.....Mark
  12. i might be heading out there wednesday morning. i have never trolled before. so i might try. and how do you know ware the shad are at?

13. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

you will see either a large area of water that just looks different. It might be darker, have dimples, or just look uneasy.Or you will see minnows skipping and fish chasing them. this might be 2 feet from shore or out in the middle of the lake, so keep your eyes open :D good luck and don't get discouraged out there, it's a tough lake to learn, but you always have crappies to fall back on.
  14. usually you can see the shad breaking water and or the water gets all stirred up.